steve76
Koyah.16
laurenjuby89
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Neutering Empty Neutering

Post by laurenjuby89 Mon Oct 15 2012, 12:11

Is it true that neutering males early can stunt their growth and cause problems?
laurenjuby89
laurenjuby89
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocco
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Neutering Empty Re: Neutering

Post by Koyah.16 Mon Oct 15 2012, 12:23

I've never actually heard of this maybe it would be best to phone vets and ask them I know a vet says its best to spat a female after 1st season but some vets want to neuter and spay at 6 months hope this helps x

Koyah.16
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koyah, Xena , Rascal , Dior
Dog(s) Ages : koyahs 2 , xenas 1 , rascals 9 , diors 3
Dog Gender(s) : female, female , male , female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 12:25

It can most definitely affect their growth, if neutered early before the growth plates have closed the dog can end up growing taller and not 'filling out' as much due to the lack of hormones

eta: i don't neuter my dogs unless medically needed

Last edited by ella on Mon Oct 15 2012, 12:30; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Mon Oct 15 2012, 12:27

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12763-long-term-health-risks-and-benefits-associated-with-spay-neuter-in-dogs

there are many views on this subject, we have chosen not to have marley castrated unless it's deemed medically needed
steve76
steve76
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 12:28

It doesn't stunt their growth exactly. What it does do is delay the closure of the growth plates which can mean the dog will become leggier & narrower than it would otherwise have been.

Of more concern with early neutering is incontinence, increased risk of bone & prostate cancer and the possibility of a negative effect on temperament (nervous aggression).

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12763-long-term-health-risks-and-benefits-associated-with-spay-neuter-in-dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by laurenjuby89 Mon Oct 15 2012, 12:52

Thank-you everyone, I definitely wont be neutering any time soon then, I probably never will. Just I was at a companion dog show a charity woman (I think from the pdsa) told me that I should get Rocco done which I wasn't planning to do yet because I have heard of the problems. I told her that I wasn't planning on it because of the growth and behavioural problems it can cause and she said it was all a load of rubbish and that staffies should be neutered at 6 months and if not then it could make them aggressive to other dogs, I did tell her I was experienced with staffies and I know the pros and cons but I don't think she believed me because she said I looked too young to be, which is rubbish because I grew up with them, but I just walked off cos she was making me feel small. But after I was really angry, I understand that the charity just wants to promote all the neutering of staffies they can because of the problems they are having with irresponsible breeding, especially as I live near London, where the problem is extra bad and people are breeding not just for money but also to try making aggressive and hard looking dogs, but I think they have to understand that not everyone is like this, and I am not irresponsible for wanting my dog to look how nature intended and don't want to cause behavioural problems for myself. angry
laurenjuby89
laurenjuby89

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Mon Oct 15 2012, 13:11

I have decided after reading every different opinion to have monty done at around 18 months... My view is that I want him to look as nature intended but I also think that if you have no intention of breeding them there is no point in running the risk.
Dan330
Dan330

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Monty
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 13:19

laurenjuby89 wrote:Thank-you everyone, I definitely wont be neutering any time soon then, I probably never will. Just I was at a companion dog show a charity woman (I think from the pdsa) told me that I should get Rocco done which I wasn't planning to do yet because I have heard of the problems. I told her that I wasn't planning on it because of the growth and behavioural problems it can cause and she said it was all a load of rubbish and that staffies should be neutered at 6 months and if not then it could make them aggressive to other dogs, I did tell her I was experienced with staffies and I know the pros and cons but I don't think she believed me because she said I looked too young to be, which is rubbish because I grew up with them, but I just walked off cos she was making me feel small. But after I was really angry, I understand that the charity just wants to promote all the neutering of staffies they can because of the problems they are having with irresponsible breeding, especially as I live near London, where the problem is extra bad and people are breeding not just for money but also to try making aggressive and hard looking dogs, but I think they have to understand that not everyone is like this, and I am not irresponsible for wanting my dog to look how nature intended and don't want to cause behavioural problems for myself. angry

As you can see i have a staff and american bulldog, both male one nearly 2 the other nearly 3, my staffy isn't neutered and is about as dog friendly as they come, she talking a load of * Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by laurenjuby89 Mon Oct 15 2012, 13:28

Smile Thanks for the advice, nice to know I did have it right and aren't going crazy Laughing
laurenjuby89
laurenjuby89

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by taichi Mon Oct 15 2012, 13:40

oh dear, im a bit worried now. As Bailey is a rescue dog, we have to get him neutered. We were told to have him for a month then get him neutered, the month is up so we need to book him in, hes now 11 months (we think).
taichi
taichi

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : 19 months
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Mon Oct 15 2012, 13:46

taichi wrote:oh dear, im a bit worried now. As Bailey is a rescue dog, we have to get him neutered. We were told to have him for a month then get him neutered, the month is up so we need to book him in, hes now 11 months (we think).

I'd say if you look at all the information your damed if you do and damned if you don't... I wouldn't worry about it and take the advice you have been given by the people you got him from.
Dan330
Dan330

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou&percy :) Mon Oct 15 2012, 14:11

We also have to get Percy neutered by the age of 6 months as part of the rescue centres re-homing policy, its not what I would have personally chosen for Percy, but I completely understand it from the rescue centres point of view. X

Lou&percy :)
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Neutering Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Percy
Dog(s) Ages : 22 weeks
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by laurenjuby89 Mon Oct 15 2012, 15:01

If I have Rocco neutered I will do it when he is about 2 years old probably, I understand the rescue places point, but I think it is wrong to make people, especially when it does cause issues for the dog.
laurenjuby89
laurenjuby89

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 15:06

taichi wrote:oh dear, im a bit worried now. As Bailey is a rescue dog, we have to get him neutered. We were told to have him for a month then get him neutered, the month is up so we need to book him in, hes now 11 months (we think).

Rescues should not let a dog go home without being neutered. Why did they?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 15:27

Lou&percy Smile wrote: We also have to get Percy neutered by the age of 6 months as part of the rescue centres re-homing policy, its not what I would have personally chosen for Percy, but I completely understand it from the rescue centres point of view. X

If part of your adoption agreement was to have him neutered, then you must do so! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 17:29

Hayley wrote:

Rescues should not let a dog go home without being neutered. Why did they?

Alot of rescues do especially if the dog is rather young, they do have neutering contracts though, so by a certain age or when a bitch has had her first season etc

Back to top Go down

Post by taichi Mon Oct 15 2012, 17:40

The rescue place we got him from do have a policy of neutering before they rehome, but we think Baileys circumstances was a little unusual, so they agreed for us to take him and for us to have him done, we did have to sign a contract to that affect. I, of course will get him neutered, our vet suggested we settle him into our home for a few weeks first

He is such a good dog both with people and other dogs that I would hate it if his personality changed because of this. Its just another thing to worry about
lol
taichi
taichi

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : 19 months
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 20:11

You can probably stretch it out for a few weeks, say till he's about a year or 14 months old. That wouldn't be too bad!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 21:51

I am still battling with myself as to the pros and cons of neutering, have read (almost) everything on this excellent website, and others, on the subject and have resolved to delay neutering my lovely Kuchar as long as possible. If Caryll (for whom I have the greatest of respect, my short time on this forum has led me to believe that she offers sound commonsense based on general knowledge of dogs) thinks that 1year/14 months old is the age that a Staffy is physically and mentally mature then I will aim at that age before I consider it.

I have only had Dobermann bitches before Kuchar, so he is my first Staffy and my first male dog. I have to admit that my leaning towards neutering him are a) to stop him humping (which he is starting to do at 9 months old) and I don't want this to become hard-wired into his behaviour b) to curtail his tendency to roam (not after bitches yet thank goodness, just running away due to exciteability) c) if he ever shows aggressiveness towards other dogs or god forbid humans, which he is NOT at ALL now d) calm him down a bit.

All this is behavioural reasons, and not health reasons. But the negatives healthwise ..... increased incidence in bone cancer. I lost two Dobermann bitches to bone cancer (both were incidentally spayed well after 18 months of age, and then only because they inevitably suffered phantom pregnancies after every season), and one had urinary incontinence and the other was hypo-thyroid. I'd hate to inflict any of this on Kuchar.

Plus, I understand (but would be willing to be proved wrong) that when a puppy is neutered, his mentality is "frozen" at that age ie if he is 6 months old when neutered, then he will forever after remain a 6month old puppy mentally. This alone is enough to scare me to bits!

What gets me is that in spite of all the evidence out there, rescue centres and vets advocate neutering at 6 months old, when they are BABIES!

sorry to go on, but I am still battling this dilemma.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 22:03

It's a minefield of information, both pro & con.

new Staffy owner wrote: If Caryll (for whom I have the greatest of respect, my short time on this forum has led me to believe that she offers sound commonsense based on general knowledge of dogs) thinks that 1year/14 months old is the age that a Staffy is physically and mentally mature then I will aim at that age before I consider it.

That's very kind of you, but don't take my word as gospel! Everybody has diferent views, and we all feel that we're right! Big Grin

I don't neuter (just my personal preference) but if I was going to do so I would wait until at least 2 tears old before having them done. It's just that when you get a rescue dog it'll already be neutered or you'll have to sign a contract to say you will get it neutered. So, 14 months is better than 6 months, but not as good (in my opinion only) as 2 years!

new Staffy owner wrote: I have only had Dobermann bitches before Kuchar, so he is my first Staffy and my first male dog. I have to admit that my leaning towards neutering him are a) to stop him humping (which he is starting to do at 9 months old) and I don't want this to become hard-wired into his behaviour b) to curtail his tendency to roam (not after bitches yet thank goodness, just running away due to exciteability) c) if he ever shows aggressiveness towards other dogs or god forbid humans, which he is NOT at ALL now d) calm him down a bit.

a. Castration doesn't stop humping because it isn't always a sexual behaviour - even castrated dogs will hump. Training can & does stop humping.
b. Despite popular views, males will rarely shoot off after a bitch in season. What they normally do first is sniff very carefully at where she has peed. Then they might scent the air and try to follow the scent, but it's very rarely at a run because they need to follow the scent & will stop wherever the bitch has stopped for a good sniff!
c. Castration doesn't always alter aggression to either other dogs or humans, although it might be a last ditch effort to try & help. That's something that you need to counter with careful training and if necessary, a muzzle in public.
d. Don't be fooled - they're just as crazy afterwards as before! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 22:20

Thank you Caryll!

Ref my abc .... hmmm, boys will be boys then, whether "chopped" or not. Guess I'll just have to get used to it then Rolling Eyes

Do you (or anyone else) have any comments on "Plus, I understand (but would be willing to be proved wrong) that when a puppy is neutered, his mentality is "frozen" at that age ie if he is 6 months old when neutered, then he will forever after remain a 6month old puppy mentally." ? This is (apart from the health issue) an important point for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Oct 15 2012, 22:29

Only had girls, my first was done before her first season, Moo after as she came into season on the day of the op, neither has had any ill effects either growth or mentality. Its a matter of choice, there are arguments for and against with plenty of pros and cons.

It is entirely up to you Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Mon Oct 15 2012, 22:57

Yes it is possible that neutering before they have fully grown can cause a leggier slimer dog. But personaly i know a gsd, dobe, staff x 4, and lab all done under 1 year that are perfect examples of their respective breeds. I also know 2 fat labs a hyper fem gsd and a phsyco jrt not done. Is that something to make a decision on then? Big fat NO! noone knows your dog like you. Its part science part gut instinct. Dont put to much heart into internet searches either. One "science" paper that is popular with the "dont" neuter side has recently been ripped apart by all the vets/scientists it misquoted...a paper i trusted as overwhelming truth...
Im working both my two at weight pull and marleys bday prezzy was his balls off because of his roaming...he ate through a fence to get out i kid you not. Hes muscleing up nicley on a spring pole and laska is looking like she will be even bigger with little or no testostorone. At 13 months and 1 month after being neuterd hes 23kg of pure lean muscle. Just feed em approx 10% less and keep up a good excersise regime
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Tue Oct 16 2012, 09:01

new Staffy owner wrote:Plus, I understand (but would be willing to be proved wrong) that when a puppy is neutered, his mentality is "frozen" at that age ie if he is 6 months old when neutered, then he will forever after remain a 6month old puppy mentally." ? This is (apart from the health issue) an important point for me.

My dad had the snip at 40... he still thinks hes 40. Hope this helps. Wink
Dan330
Dan330

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 10:03

new Staffy owner wrote:Do you (or anyone else) have any comments on "Plus, I understand (but would be willing to be proved wrong) that when a puppy is neutered, his mentality is "frozen" at that age ie if he is 6 months old when neutered, then he will forever after remain a 6month old puppy mentally." ? This is (apart from the health issue) an important point for me.

It certainly can do. Again, though, it depends on the individual dog.

My boss has a GSD bitch (Dempsey's best friend!) and she was spayed at 5 months. She is very leggy & narrow & has trouble keeping weight on (unlike her parents or her siblings) and her temperament is very much still puppy-ish. Very cute when you only see her from time to time, but a real pain in the backside when the dog concerned is a 35 kilo GSD that likes to bounce all over you like a pup. Sad The other problem with her is that her vulva never grew beyond the 5 month old size. She now has to be wiped 3 or 4 times a day because she is mildly incontinent due to the fact that her vulva isn't big enough to cope with the amount of pee that needs to come out!

Vets will tell you that's all a coincidence. My own personal opinion is that it's all due to early neutering.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 19:03

Dan330 wrote:My dad had the snip at 40... he still thinks hes 40. Hope this helps. Wink

Nice one Dan- loved it rolling on the floor

Nathan - I would interested to know if the "chop" has stopped Marley's tendency to roam? Kuchar is also a Houdini, and has dug under the fence to chase after a playmate passing by, and is very inclined to try to slip between peoples' legs when the door is opened; despite puppy gates he has managed this a couple of times and goes straight across our busy road - no road sense whatsoever. I hate to keep harking back to my bitches (Dobes) but they had no inclination to roam and I could have them outside in the unfenced garden with me without any fears. A bitch thing?

Caryll, thanks for your input again; apart from the possible health problems, the thought of having a perpetual puppy is too horrible to contemplate! eek

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Oct 16 2012, 22:59

What annoys me most about vets is the one size fits all attitude. We all know the reason they wfavour nueturing is population control but they never say it. they always seem to use some kind of scare tactic which to me means "your a pleb" i know better than you which annoys me. Why not try okay lets try best for you dog wait abit and do it when there is less cance of adetrimental effect to your dog. My vet soon learnt i wasnt any of there rehtoric and my boy would be done when i felt it was right. In my case it was needed and btw he still humps everything which i was expecting but the fence is still in one peice and roaming has dropped no end. As for laska my baby girl? Im waiting too for the reason caryl points out. Have read about that so much in females...and she is my first girl dog in 20 years so all new to me, i respect caryls experiance which is why im waiting for the "right time"
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by laurenjuby89 Tue Oct 16 2012, 23:12

It is bad of the vets really and although I know that the staffie population does need to be kept under control, the other thing that annoys me is that by persuading as many people to get their dogs neutered too early, they actually run the the risk of more staffies ending up in rescues again, because although there are not more puppies being born with no homes, people might just get rid of their dog if it stays acting like it is 6 months old and what ever other problems it may cause for the dogs and owners! Not that I would ever get rid of a staffie cos i never ever would but for some people, it could be a risk!
laurenjuby89
laurenjuby89

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Oct 16 2012, 23:20

You can find as many arguments for neutering as opposing, it depends what you read.

It seems more people shout no, but really it isn't going to change them into a devil dog/change attitude/change personality/ change them in general.

Its a very routine thing.

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by laurenjuby89 Tue Oct 16 2012, 23:34

It does seem though that to be on the safe side it is better to just wait until they are older, especially when they are neutering at just 6 months old, that is a bit young, they are very much still babies at this age. Not that i am sticking up for people who get rid of their dogs.
laurenjuby89
laurenjuby89

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Oct 16 2012, 23:53

Its a personal opinion, there are many arguments for and against. Personally I have never seen a problem with neutering at whatever age, only have friends that have experienced the benefits.

Your choice at the end of the day.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17 2012, 00:07

Nathan - I agree with you that vets (and rescue homes) seem to want early neutering as a cure-all to population control, and don't take into account that we "plebs" just MAY have a sense of responsibility with regards to our dogs' reproductivity and may not want to jeopardize our dogs' future health towards this one end.

I'm very interested to learn that since his chop Marley has stopped his roaming tendencies. Terrific - this must be a great relief to you. My Kuchar's "Great Escape" endeavours and wick as an eel dashes between peoples' legs across the road are a huge concern - if the chop is guaranteed to stop this behaviour in its tracks I will do it tomorrow, despite the health problems in the future - better a greater incidence of bone cancer in the future than a squashed dog on the road tomorrow.

Regarding the humping - my 9 month old boy has just started doing it sometimes, when excited. My vets told me that if he was neutered at 6 months, he probably wouldn't do it as as there would be no testosterone and he wouldn't have got into the habit. But Caryll tells me that even castrated males will hump, so I'm resigned to the fact thst it's a "boy thing" and will just gently dissuade him from thinking that it's a fun idea.

Regarding your girl Laska - I can only say that in all my long experience with bitches, the received opinion was that you should not spay them before they have had their first season. They are at least physically mature by then. I waited with my bitches until after at least their third season, and then only spayed them because of their inevitable phantom pregnancies. But one developed urinary incontinence and another hypo-thyroidism. Both died (albiet at a good age for Dobes) of bone cancer.

It's a dilemma, isn't it.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Oct 17 2012, 00:54

Moo came into season the day of her op, as I don't have a garden and even if I did she still needs a walk.

My first was done before her first season, so this was new to me.

Now one very wet day I took Moo out before work, I couldn't choose times as I have a job to fit round. Moo kept on lead and keeping to paths, but a male collie/lab thing (big) turned up, no owner about and Moo acting like a tart I was really panicked and by this point in tears, trying to pick Moo up, not easy, wet cold and and very stressed as this dog wouldn't leave, I tried running with her but this male just kept on trying,still no owner about (believe me it is a horrible situation to be in).

Thank god a warden drove past and saw me in a state and the situation and bundled me and Moo into the van, He got out and took the male away.

When he returned, I was still a mess, the women that owned the male said that I shouldn't have been walking my bitch on heat! Total plank, supposed to keep her indoors for x amount of weeks!!

If I wasn't vigilant about it you can guess what could have happened, but it makes me angry that people are against it but will have intact males wandering off lead.

Last edited by janey on Wed Oct 17 2012, 09:23; edited 1 time in total
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Wed Oct 17 2012, 09:12

[quote="new Staffy owner"]
Dan330 wrote:Nice one Dan- loved it rolling on the floor

Big Grin
Dan330
Dan330

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17 2012, 10:34

janey wrote:
You can find as many arguments for neutering as opposing, it depends what you read.

It seems more people shout no, but really it isn't going to change them into a devil dog/change attitude/change personality/ change them in general.

Its a very routine thing.

I don't think more people shout 'no' - in fact nowadays I think it's the opposite.

I'm not against neutering, just against early neutering. Whatever you say, early neutering can affect growth & temperament. No, it won't turn a dog into a devil dog, but it can lead to nervous aggression and certainly can affect growth.

new Staffy owner wrote:I'm very interested to learn that since his chop Marley has stopped his roaming tendencies. Terrific - this must be a great relief to you. My Kuchar's "Great Escape" endeavours and wick as an eel dashes between peoples' legs across the road are a huge concern - if the chop is guaranteed to stop this behaviour in its tracks I will do it tomorrow, despite the health problems in the future - better a greater incidence of bone cancer in the future than a squashed dog on the road tomorrow.

Neutering can stop some males from roaming, but it may not. Don't forget that the scent of a bitch in season is interesting to all dogs - male or female/neutered or intact. I've actually known a bitch to follow an in season scent! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17 2012, 11:06

Chance is neutered, has been over a year. He still humps sometimes if he gets over excited, he is certainly more interested in in season bitches then Harv who is entire. Just my 2p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Oct 17 2012, 16:43

new Staffy owner wrote:Nathan - I agree with you that vets (and rescue homes)

I'm very interested to learn that since his chop Marley has stopped his roaming tendencies. Terrific - this must be a great relief to you. My Kuchar's "Great Escape" endeavours and wick as an eel dashes between peoples' legs across the road are a huge concern - if the chop is guaranteed to stop this behaviour in its tracks I will do it tomorrow, despite the health problems in the future - better a greater incidence of bone cancer in the future than a squashed dog on the road tomorrow..
Cannot be conclusive on the roaming just yet but hes no longer trying to chew the fence. One great thing is how he now greets other dogs, he used to be a right sod trotting up and forming a pose with his tail arched up and over his back, kinda uberconfident that he was boss over anyone he met. Got him into trouble a few times. Now hes still confident but at least he greats other dogs like they are worthy of his presance
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Oct 17 2012, 16:50

axam102 wrote: One great thing is how he now greets other dogs, he used to be a right sod trotting up and forming a pose with his tail arched up and over his back, kinda uberconfident that he was boss over anyone he met. Got him into trouble a few times. Now hes still confident but at least he greats other dogs like they are worthy of his presance

Sorry off topic, but that is a brilliant analogy of Moo. She has never got into trouble and is very friendly but initially this is exactly what she does!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17 2012, 20:17

janey wrote:

Now one very wet day I took Moo out before work, I couldn't choose times as I have a job to fit round. Moo kept on lead and keeping to paths, but a male collie/lab thing (big) turned up, no owner about and Moo acting like a tart I was really panicked and by this point in tears, trying to pick Moo up, not easy, wet cold and and very stressed as this dog wouldn't leave, I tried running with her but this male just kept on trying,still no owner about (believe me it is a horrible situation to be in).

Thank god a warden drove past and saw me in a state and the situation and bundled me and Moo into the van, He got out and took the male away.

When he returned, I was still a mess, the women that owned the male said that I shouldn't have been walking my bitch on heat! Total plank, supposed to keep her indoors for x amount of weeks!!

If I wasn't vigilant about it you can guess what could have happened, but it makes me angry that people are against it but will have intact males wandering off lead.

I too walked my bitches when they were in season, but when they were in season kept them on the lead at all times. It just seemed so unfair to them to keep them inside for 3 weeks. I did have a couple of scares when one on-heat bitch was in my fenced back garden and a dog got in (heaven only knows how, he must have been an acrobat) and in panic I got a "morning-after" jab for her, just in case. Another time an obviously otherwise well-trained dog was walking off-lead with his owner across the road and the dog ran across the busy road towards my bitch. I did tell the owner then that his dog should have on the lead (which of course he should have been, as this is a busy road).

I'm guessing Janey that when you say "intact dogs wandering off lead" you mean dogs that are out and about without their owner? I wouldn't like to think that you meant that all intact dogs should be on a lead wherever, just in case they come across a bitch on heat.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Oct 17 2012, 20:34

No I certainly do not think that all dogs should be on lead but the dog I encountered was with his owner, but the owner was no where in sight. Thats what I mean by wondering off, and having dappy, up there own back sides owners who are fair weather walkers and haven't a clue on there actions!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17 2012, 20:37

janey wrote: and having dappy, up there own back sides owners who are fair weather walkers and haven't a clue on there actions!

That is such a perfect description! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Oct 17 2012, 20:47

Caryll wrote:
janey wrote: and having dappy, up there own back sides owners who are fair weather walkers and haven't a clue on there actions!

That is such a perfect description! Wink

Agreed too. Especially as i just spent two hours getting soaked without a soul in site
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17 2012, 20:52

OK thanks Janey, I wasn't "having a go" you understand, just clarifing. I was just remembering a woman with a male dog whom I met whilst walking our dogs who said that she hoped I had had my bitch neutered, as her dog had run off after a bitch and she couldn't get him back. ie the responsibility rests on the bitch's owner and not the dog's owner.

Now I have an intact male, the shoe is on the other foot, so to speak, but I still wouldn't agree with that woman.

On a side note - I know that dogs will sniff where other dogs have wee'd, and obviously if a male dog sniffs an on-heat bitch's wee, he will be very interested! (somewhat dismayed to learn from Caryll, however, that this will apply to neutered dogs as well). BUT, from my received knowledge of many years, I have always understood that an entire male can scent an on-heat bitch from a long way off (no wee needed, just something wafted in the air). Does anyone know if this is true or is it an old wives tale?

Back to top Go down

Post by laurenjuby89 Wed Oct 17 2012, 21:19

I think it is actually true, I once was walking one of my old dogs when he sniffed a bitch on heat and went running as fast as he could away from me (which was a first as he had a good recall). I had to chase him fast, at that time not even knowing why he was running away, but I managed to catch him and put him on a lead, which was when I noticed he was pulling towards a bitch who's owner told me was on heat, she was off lead in a public park though.
laurenjuby89
laurenjuby89

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17 2012, 21:28

They can catch the air borne scent, but most dogs won't go running off with their noses in the air! Even dogs trained to follow a scent won't rely on air-borne scents, they'll have a good sniff at the ground. I certainly don't believe that a dog can smell an in season bitch 5 miles away, purely from scenting the air!

I've had 5 entire males, and none of them have gone racing off after bitches on heat. They've all tried to follow a ground scent at one time or another, but I've always been able to get them back without too much trouble! Only yesterday Dempsey caught a scent that could only have been a bitch (head down, nose pressed into the grass, deep snorting sniffs & then head raised with jaws 'chomping' & salivating). He followed that scent for about 10 yards, but by then I'd caught up & put him on lead.

Mainly, they don't just bolt - they savour the scent left by the bitch & follow it carefully & often quite slowly but steadily.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17 2012, 21:29

laurenjuby89 wrote:I think it is actually true, I once was walking one of my old dogs when he sniffed a bitch on heat and went running as fast as he could away from me (which was a first as he had a good recall). I had to chase him fast, at that time not even knowing why he was running away, but I managed to catch him and put him on a lead, which was when I noticed he was pulling towards a bitch who's owner told me was on heat, she was off lead in a public park though.

If the bitch is close by, then yes, they'll air scent her & head straight there! But they won't follow an air scent for miles - they prefer to get their noses right in to it! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17 2012, 22:55

Not all entire males are interested in a bitch in season Harvey certainly isn't.

He has a couple of 'girlfriends' but has stood next to a bitch in season, had a sniff and ignored her whilst chance was very interested and he's neutered

Back to top Go down

Post by Harley Thu Oct 18 2012, 11:17

I neutered Harley quite early, at 4 months. He was humping everything at that age and it all stopped immediately.

His Behaviour around other dogs is excellent. Absolutely no aggression, he is confident but being a pup he is submissive to older dogs. He play fights with other dogs that are energetic, and just follows around and explores with older dogs that are more subdued.

He is still energetic and excitable, and he has a wonderful personality. I would not mind at all if his Behaviour stayed this way his whole life. However, do neutered dogs know that they are different to other dogs? Does this change their Behaviour or affect them psychologically? If so, I can't pick up anything with Harley, he seems a happy and content 6 month old pup.

Harley

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by laurenjuby89 Thu Oct 18 2012, 11:23

Caryll wrote:
laurenjuby89 wrote:I think it is actually true, I once was walking one of my old dogs when he sniffed a bitch on heat and went running as fast as he could away from me (which was a first as he had a good recall). I had to chase him fast, at that time not even knowing why he was running away, but I managed to catch him and put him on a lead, which was when I noticed he was pulling towards a bitch who's owner told me was on heat, she was off lead in a public park though.

If the bitch is close by, then yes, they'll air scent her & head straight there! But they won't follow an air scent for miles - they prefer to get their noses right in to it! Laughing

Yes she wasn't too far away and it only happened the once in his whole life, it shocked me really Laughing
laurenjuby89
laurenjuby89

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 18 2012, 11:41

Harley wrote:. However, do neutered dogs know that they are different to other dogs? Does this change their Behaviour or affect them psychologically? If so, I can't pick up anything with Harley, he seems a happy and content 6 month old pup.

I don't think the pup itself knows any different, but sometimes other dogs will 'pick on' a neutered male - they seem to smell different.

I'm not saying that early neutered dogs will be unhappy (certainly not) or unhealthy, although there can be associated health problems.

Just that there are more pros than cons (to my mind) in waiting for a dog to mature before neutering. A staff forever having a 6 month old mentality isn't probably too bad, but a larger dog (Lab, Rottie or GSD as in my earlier example) is very difficult to control when it gets to 40+ kilos & still acts like a puppy!

I think the stop in humping was nothing to do with the castration - at 4 months he wouldn't have had enough testosterone present to make it a sexual behaviour - it would be more to do with training.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next