neutering

3 posters

Go down

neutering Empty neutering

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 13:47

I decided a while ago to get ken done, but i've held on until now.I was hoping that he'd calm down. He hasnt, nothing is safe, pillows, cushions and anything that moves. I'll be honest, I'd rather not do it, only because I hate the fact he'd need an operation. It terrifes me infact, silly, i now. I worry he wont wake up Surprised
Another thing thats stopped me until now is i thought maybe i could sort it with training. All i need to do is book it in x

Back to top Go down

neutering Empty Re: neutering

Post by janey Fri May 17 2013, 15:34

It may or may not help, but good luck and don't worry, as with all ops it carries a risk but its very minimal >Big Grin<
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 15:40

As Janey said it is a minimal risk op and I'm sure he will be fine Smile I hope it helps with his "behaviour" Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Fri May 17 2013, 19:31

If your really not want in to get it done, I heard the other day bout an implant u can get that must stop the testosterone or something that will basically show u how our dog will behave if it was t get neutered.
A woman that works at pound I volunteer at her son got one for his dog deberdoux (excuse spell in lol)
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 19:34

You can ask your vet about Suprelorin or Tardak - both are chemical 'castration' and will help you decide if castration will have the right effect or not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Fri May 17 2013, 19:56

Cheers Caryll that'l be the thing I was talking about!
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 22:07

Thanks guys. The implant is an option. I wish some1 could decide for me lol, I've been saying for months that he needs to get done. I just keep putting it off. Im such an anxious person, i worry when i have nothing to worry about. Thanks guys xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 22:26

To be honest, with Kenny's PHPV I'd probably be inclined to get him neutered anyway. You're not going to show him any more and you certainly don't want to breed from him.

I'd try the implant first, just so you can see what sort of difference (if any) it'll make & then make your decision on that & the PHPV.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 22:42

Totally agree Caryll, definatly no breeding, and showing hasnt really worked for us. I hoping to get him done by next month. Just got to take the leap.
Is any 1 else as ott as me? I real panic. I get upset thinking of handing him over at the vets and leaving him there. I can see him now, his big doughy eyes , all sad Sad
I'll have to gown up and hold his paw Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 22:47

kenny d wrote: I get upset thinking of handing him over at the vets and leaving him there.

Another reason I won't get Dempsey done! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 22:47

Personally, even though we dont breed, the thought of him getting out and an accidental happening really worried me. I could never add to the numbers of unwanted dogs, let alone unwanted, maybe even blind dogs.
We've been asked loads of time to breed him, even with his phpv result.
One guy even mailed us regarding importing his sperm!!! Surprised . Im suprised the lenghs people go to x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 22:48

I wouldn't like to say how many people have approached me over the last 4 years, asking to use Dempsey at stud.

Not a chance!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 22:51

Caryll wrote:
kenny d wrote: I get upset thinking of handing him over at the vets and leaving him there.

Another reason I won't get Dempsey done! Big Grin
Im not alone then. I thought it was just me. Im hopeless when it comes to anything that affects Ken. I love him so much. I even had it in my head that his heart must be bad after his electric shock, that was another thing that stopped me. Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 22:55

Caryll wrote:I wouldn't like to say how many people have approached me over the last 4 years, asking to use Dempsey at stud.

Not a chance!
Same here. Dont get me wrong, when you get a message saying "Cracking red" or "one of the best", it makes you proud. People will say anything to get what they want. I love the breed far to much to ever allow him to be used, It goes against everything I belive in. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri May 17 2013, 22:59

Moo was spayed at 10 months she bounced back after the anesthetic within hours, she had an anesthetic for her x ray and it took her 48 hours plus to get her over it. Its a simple op Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 23:28

Thanks Janey Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 18 2013, 12:02

janey wrote:
Moo was spayed at 10 months she bounced back after the anesthetic within hours, she had an anesthetic for her x ray and it took her 48 hours plus to get her over it. Its a simple op Xx

Same with Dempsey. He's had to have anaesthetic several times (once for quite a serious operation) and although he's a bit mopey & whiney afterwards, he's back on form within 24 hours!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitt Sat May 18 2013, 16:51

Tiger with her recent operation on her leg was awake and annoying the vets within 4 hours of her op, fair enough she's a puppy so she bounces back better but I was terrified they'd phone up and tell me it had gone horribly wrong but they didn't thankfully.

For male dogs especially it takes less than an hour for them to do it, it only takes so long because of preparation and then keeping them in until they're happy they're properly awake from the anesthetic, they literally just make a tiny cut, pull the testicles out and sew it back up, I'd be shocked if it even took them 20 minutes, when they the cats I fostered they put all 3 on the same table and just did it that way because it was easier Laughing

It's not wrong to be afraid though <3
Kitt
Kitt
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tiger-Lilly
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down