neutering??!!

4 posters

Go down

Shocked neutering??!!

Post by harrietmay22 Tue Jul 02 2013, 12:33

ho guys could really do with some advise for my 13 month old staffy dog i just don't no weather to get him neutered or not? im rite 50/50 about the idea ..What to do? ...
harrietmay22
harrietmay22
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Ronnie
Dog(s) Ages : 13months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Shocked Re: neutering??!!

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02 2013, 13:08

Why do you want to neuter firstly? I it's to stop any certain behavior then I dot recommend it cause its a costly operation which is not likely to have much affect on the behavior. If its to stop unwanted puppies/no desire to breed, the. Again there is no need to operate if you are a responsible owner and don't let him wander.

If it ain't broke don't fix it is my view.

The only thing I would neuter for is to ensure no one has the chance to steal and breed for nasty reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jul 02 2013, 13:09

It really is your choice, do some research yourself as everyone has different and conflicting views on the issue Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by harrietmay22 Tue Jul 02 2013, 13:12

its just that when i introduce him to new dogs he wants to hump them :/ but when hes calmed down hes ok! i think im going to wait for a bit then i dont want to get him done then regret it if that makes sense..
harrietmay22
harrietmay22

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jul 02 2013, 13:13

You just need to train him, its a dominance issue, neutering may or may not help, but training will Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02 2013, 13:14

I had my dog neutured but he still tries to hump other dogs, its mainly a dominance thing. I cant say it will stop if you have it done or calm him down.

Back to top Go down

Post by harrietmay22 Tue Jul 02 2013, 13:18

thatnks for your advice guys Smile
harrietmay22
harrietmay22

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Tue Jul 02 2013, 13:22

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12762-long-term-health-risks-and-benefits-associated-with-spay-neuter-in-dogs
Also take a look at this link, it should help way up the pros and cons, I was considering neutering also, but research is the best option before its done!
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02 2013, 16:43

I don't neuter at all, but if you're going to, then wait for full mental & physical maturity - around 2 years or more - to make sure that you don't damage his temperament or physical growth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02 2013, 16:48

Like Caryll i don't neuter at all either.

Most issues are behavioral anyway and neutering will have little to no effect on them, only training will

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02 2013, 19:14

Sorry I can't advice you either, as I'm in 2 minds myself. Although kenny is booked in to be neutered on monday, I'm really nervous, and really wish he wasn't getting done. I love him just as he is, but now we have lilly, I think its a must. I don't breed or have any interest in doing so. I wouldn't want any accidental breeding going on. I've thought about trying the chemical castration 1st as this is a good indicator of how kenny will be if neutered, but again, I don't like the thought of injecting him with chemicals. Lilly will be getting spayed as soon as she's old enough tho x

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Jul 02 2013, 21:38

quickly, kelly dont worry as it hardley changes everyday behaviour at all.
Harriet
what it can do is dumb down some of the male associated traits but be warned it doesnt eradicate them. as testostorone is still produced in the body all be it in a significanlty less ammount. on the flip side it can be the worse thing ever to do to a nervouse dog as your take away there last ounce of confidence hormone.
I had my boy done and its stopped him trying to escape by trying to jump the fence, he was frustrated beyond comprehension and it was getting to the point I couldnt let him out into the garden without him yowling and howing the place down and pacing the whole garden. he was also getting himself into trouble by being uber confident with older dogs and facing them off all the time.
I had him done after one year as his growth plates would have closed by then and in my case it has worked out for the best. within a couple of months he was alot calmer and less stressed and it hasnt affected his growth at all. My girl laska at 1 year is only 1" shorter than him at the same age and he is filling out nicley which is about par for the course for male female dogs and she is still entire for the moment. I will be having her done in time though.
I realy did want to keep Marley entire but didnt have a choice in the end, it was probably the hardest decision of my life as once its made there is no going back and as it was the life of my best friend i was doing it to, it wasnt a decision i made lightley. my only advice as i dont know your dog like you do is research, research, and more research then make an informed decision. best of luck mate
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02 2013, 21:59

The problem with early neutering is one of a lack of self confidence. A dog's self confidence comes with the release of testosterone during the later stages of growth. So if you castrate a dog before about 18 months/2 years old, he will never be quite as self-confident as he could have been. It's the same with bitches - if you neuter too early a bitch will never gain that calmness & self confidence that comes from the release of hormones during her seasons.

I'd always say that, unless there's a medical reason to do otherwise, neutering should always be delayed until full maturity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Jul 02 2013, 23:13

Caryll wrote:The problem with early neutering is one of a lack of self confidence. A dog's self confidence comes with the release of testosterone during the later stages of growth. So if you castrate a dog before about 18 months/2 years old, he will never be quite as self-confident as he could have been. It's the same with bitches - if you neuter too early a bitch will never gain that calmness & self confidence that comes from the release of hormones during her seasons.

I'd always say that, unless there's a medical reason to do otherwise, neutering should always be delayed until full maturity.

thats the reason its so hard to make a call on this without knowing the dog, marley is still megga confident but has stopped the pacing and howling, hes also allot more chilled in the garden and doesnt try to knock the fence down...hes a big boy and would have done it in time. i cant possibly say how it would effect other dogs as i simply havent been there so all i can do is relay my experiance. its such a hot topic and i can see alot of right and wrongs on either side... and you know my thoughts on "that" artical that proclaims to know everything but is just a cherry picked non peer reviewed document no more worthier that our own thoughts and views angry  god knows why she hasnt been uncoverd by now. fact is no real
proper reserach has been done yet she proclaims eveything as fact with not on jot of it as her own research..
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02 2013, 23:35

Nathan wrote:and you know my thoughts on "that" artical that proclaims to know everything but is just a cherry picked non peer reviewed document no more worthier that our own thoughts and views angry  god knows why she hasnt been uncoverd by now. fact is no real
proper reserach has been done yet she proclaims eveything as fact with not on jot of it as her own research..

Maybe, but it is a fact that bone cancer is more common in neutered dogs, as is nervous aggression, perpetual puppyhood, atypical growth (of bones and genital organs), incontinence & prostate cancer (males, obviously).

I'm not in any way criticizing you, Nathan, and my post wasn't actually aimed at you at all!

All I will say is that I've had 5 un neutered males, and have never had a problem with any of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jul 02 2013, 23:59

As you see Harriet, it is a subject that no person agrees on and no one can give you an answer .....

Do your own research, rather than reading links thrown at you. I hate the pro/con link used here, very standard opinionated info.

No offense...

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Jul 03 2013, 21:58

Caryll wrote:
Nathan wrote:and you know my thoughts on "that" artical that proclaims to know everything but is just a cherry picked non peer reviewed document no more worthier that our own thoughts and views angry  god knows why she hasnt been uncoverd by now. fact is no real

Maybe, but it is a fact that bone cancer is more common in neutered dogs, as is nervous aggression, perpetual puppyhood, atypical growth (of bones and genital organs), incontinence & prostate cancer (males, obviously).

I'm not in any way criticizing you, Nathan, and my post wasn't actually aimed at you at all!

All I will say is that I've had 5 un neutered males, and have never had a problem with any of them.

aww no way mate did I think your were criticizing me at all!!! please dont think that, even if you were i would take it as constructive. maybee my post came accross wrong and it wasnt aimed at you at all. you know how much i respect you and your views.
If i may be clear, all the research mentioned in that article HAS been carried out and the figures are largley correct but there are some glowing omissions from the data which i take issue to. for instance some breeds are more likley to develop certain conditons than others. I know for a fact that alot of the cons of the article were taken from how specific breeds react and not a broad spectrum but this wasnt mentioned. as an example one breed that was used was exclusivley rotweilers which are prone to certain cancers. the outcome was mentioned but not the details of the experiment itself. i find this misleading when it is implied that the same percentages apply to all breeds of dogs, which it doesnt. that is my issue with the paper, its all smoke and mirrors and what i mean by cherry picking from other peoples research.
I stand by real world testimonials until some real research is done and again, i wouldnt neuter if i had the choice and share the views about perpetual puppyhood, growth plates etc etc in fact i pretty much mirror your views on it. its just that sodding article that pops up all over the internet like its gospel which it isnt. i think its doing more harm than good for people deciding when to neuter if the dog does need it and they decide not to because they are scared that there pooch may grow a third eye or something. its clouding real world advice which is real bad in my eyes. people with experiance get overlooked because of it.
sorry for the long winded post but i just had to make myself clear and that I wasnt in any way focusing on Caryll whom i respect so much
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down