Vet visit

4 posters

Go down

Vet visit Empty Vet visit

Post by Sara n Ozzy Fri Apr 12 2013, 12:51

I just have to share a terrible experience this morning at the vets and need to share as I am worried about any consequences.. Ozzy was booked in for an operation on his eye ( his bottom eyelid is rolling inwards) My partner and I were both there and Oz was sat between my partners legs and he was holding his collar so he couldnt move. It was stressful enough for him. he was making really weird noises, there was an English Bull Terrier there and a lady with 2 kittens. In walks a lady with a pointer ( i think) he was huge, his owner was talking at reception, the dog was on a longish and wondered over to have a sniff at Ozzy. Now our Oz doesnt like other dogs, hence why we had control over what he was doing. The other dog came too close, the lady was looking the other way but came a bit too close to Oz who grabbed hold of the dogs nose and wouldnt let go ( I think he drew blood).

The lady was screaming, we managed to get Ozzy off it, her and her dog were rushed through the queue and treated as an emergency. After they were removed from the waiting room, the lady with the kittens said " an apology would have been nice" , immediately we thought she was meaning us, of which we apologised immerdiately after teh evnet but she was actually meaning the dog owner apologising to us. She said she was stupid bringing a dog in with a long lead and not looking what she was doing. You could hear screams and howls coming form the treatment room (not from the dog, from the owner!) She walked out later not even looking at us.

It was already a very stressful situation for our Ozzy without having this to deal with. My worry is now that she complains and the worse of worse could happen????

I just had to share this and wondered where we stand now?
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Vet visit Empty Re: Vet visit

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 12:57

Try not to worry, the woman with the kittens is right, the other owner is at fault. What could you have done more than keep Ozzy close to you? You can't tape his mouth shut, she shouldn't have had her dog on a long lead. Yeah, maybe you could have told her that Ozzy doesn't like other dogs much, but that still isn't your fault, it's a vet's, not a dog park, and that's why people say not to let your dogs walk up to dogs they don't know. She wasn't paying attention and her dog got hurt because of it. I'm sorry it happened, it must've been stressful for you all, but whether or not she complains doesn't matter, you're not in the wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Fri Apr 12 2013, 12:59

Thanks for the support, it was just an horrendous situation
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 13:02

Sounds horrible for you. I really wish people would learn to not allow their dogs to approach unfamiliar dogs Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Apr 12 2013, 13:07

I wouldn't worry about it, she should have been paying some attention to what her dog was doing too, sounds like your dog was under control and the other just got in the way.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Apr 12 2013, 13:13

Sounds like a horrible morning, try not to worry you weren't at fault >Big Grin<
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 14:26

Oh no poor Ozzy! In all honesty you were the one with your dog under control, even the lady with the kittens had agreed that they were in the wrong so I wouldn't worry too much Smile How was his operation? And well done you for not freaking out and remaining calm! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Fri Apr 12 2013, 14:29

Still waiting to hear from the vets but will keep you posted. He isnt having a cone of shame he's having an inflatable collar but not sure how long that will last????? pick him up at 6.30 tonight, poor babes but knowing him he's strong n tuff never shows any pain so fingers crossed.......
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 14:31

Oh I see, I've only seen one inflatable collar being used before and they seem to the job and they don't get in the way as much ect! I hope it works and last for Ozzy and I hope he gets better soon Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 14:33

The kitten lady was right, you had Ozzy under control and the other dog approached him. The last place you should have your dog on a long lead is the Vets as it is a stressful environment. You have had a nasty fright and so has Ozzy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Fri Apr 12 2013, 15:27

Agree with the kitten lady.

But also a lesson learnt I think - u need to be more assertive and don't be worried about telling someone 'plz keep ur dog away from mine' wether they are talking to someone else or not.

Smile

Did the vet mention anything ?
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Fri Apr 12 2013, 15:30

The reception staff didnt say a word about the incident, all they said is thats why you sign (whatever that is) but the receptionist who took the other dog away was a bit sniffy!!!
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 16:28

I agree with the kitten lady, she should have apologised to you for allowing her dog to wander over without her noticing/paying attention. Try not to worry to much, as you were not at fault and I'm sure if the was a complaint you could call in said kitten lady for her opinion. Hope ozzy is ok and all goes well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Sat Apr 13 2013, 11:07

Just an update, Ozzy is fine after his operation, he feels a bit sorry for himself with a cone of shame but his eye is looking better already.

We asked about the other dog when we picked Oz up, it was a superficial wound and the lady actually admitted to vets that is was her fault as she wasnt concentarting and saw that we had Ozzy between our legs and had full control over him- phew!!!!
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 11:09

Great news about the op!

I'm sure it was a relief to hear that from the staff about the other dog/owner too Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Sat Apr 13 2013, 11:17

thanks for your support. Absolutely, such a relief!!!! itrs a real pain with the cone of shame though, he normally hass a head collar as he pulls like a train but I cant use thatas he is a real strong boy so I am using a harness which isnt so effective for me to keep him to heel but with the flexi lead at least i can have that as short as possibe to keep him by my sides
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Apr 13 2013, 12:01

Pleased to read that Ozzy is doing well and you can now put the other incident behind you.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down