Here we go again - another vet's visit

5 posters

Go down

Here we go again - another vet's visit Empty Here we go again - another vet's visit

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 11:00

Dempsey started limping a few days ago & was licking his back paw. So, I did what I always tell others to do - I bathed it in warm salty water & put some savlon in between the toes to ease it. No change. Yesterday he began to obsessively lick & nibble at it, so vets again today.

He's still there. Sad

The vet reckons there's a foreign body in there, probably a grass seed. He can see an entry point & there's a sore developing about half a cm away from that. So they've kept him in & they'll sedate him, deaden the foot itself & 'have a poke around' (vet's words, not mine!).

I told the vet he should set up a surgery in my back yard, we seem to be there so much! Poor Dempsey - he's really starting to get a complex about the vets. When the vet took him away, he just followed, all hunched up, with his tail between his legs & wouldn't even look at me. I walked home with tears pouring down my face - people must've thought I was mad.

Another £200+, but the vet's agreed to do a direct claim, even though it's below their normal minimum. After all. Dempsey's single handedly (pawedly!) paying his wages at the moment!

Back to top Go down

Here we go again - another vet's visit Empty Re: Here we go again - another vet's visit

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 11:10

Aw poor Dempsey and poor you for having to leave him like that. I hope they sort it out for him. They should let you off having to pay excess though seeing as Dempsey is their most frequent (and surely favourite) patient! Big hugs to you and the big guy >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Here we go again - another vet's visit Empty Re: Here we go again - another vet's visit

Post by janey Thu Jul 21 2011, 11:19

Oh love it's one thing after another! Poor Dempsy, lets just hope it hasn't worked it's way too far in and they sort it quickly. When are you going to be able to pick him up, any ideas? Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 11:21

I've got to phone at lunch time, so about 1pm I should think. The house is SO empty at the moment!

I just hope he doesn't have to wear a lampshade, he gets really depressed with those.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 12:52

Hope he gets better soon. I always feel guilty when I have to leave Suki.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 13:00

oh poor demsey

>Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Thu Jul 21 2011, 13:20

Poor Dempsey.. I hope he's home and feeling better very soon.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 13:51

Poor Dempsey.

Hope they are able to remove the "foriegn body" without too much fuss and that Dempsey is back to his normal self as quick as a flash.

Never a dull moment hey Sad

Hugs to the "Dempster" >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 13:52

Did you get to bring him home?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 14:19

Sorry to hear about your latest ordeal.

Poor Dempsey... and poor you !! $$$$$

Wishing him a speedy recovery !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 14:27

Poor Dempsey hope he feels better soon. >Big Grin<

I was the same when i left Harvey cried like a baby walking back to the car Sad and they thought it was a grass seed in the end that had got stuck in his throat Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 14:56

any news on how he is? x

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Jul 21 2011, 15:21

poor dempsey i hope hes all good soon

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jul 21 2011, 16:14

Any news Caryll, just logged on so appologies if you have posted elsewhere?? Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jul 21 2011, 19:52

CARYLL! and yes that was shouted!!! How is Dempsy?????????
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 20:00

HI!!!!

Sorry, only just got back on the computer (well, about 10 minutes ago).

Well, it WAS a grass seed. Only it wasn't quite what the vet imagined. He'd seen the entry point, and about half a cm above that was as sore, so that's where he assumed the seed would be. But when they looked, there was nothing there. So, he was convinced that it was a foreign body in there & he made a small cut at the point of the sore. A whole load of puss came out (sorry if you've just eaten!) and he could see that it was coming from further up. It turns out the seed had migrated about 4 cm up into the paw itself!

They used a really thin pair of forceps & managed to get the thing out, but he ended up having to put 2 stitches in. He's left the bottom of the wound open so that any poison left can drain out, and he's got a course of antibiotics.

The good news is that for insurance purposes he's linked the bad paw with the lethargy (we'll see if that's the case when the paw has healed) so I didn't have to pay another £75 excess charge!

Dempsey is now fast asleep, still groggy from the sedation. He has a lampsgade, but I've takn it off while I can keep an eye on him. I'll have to put it on when I go to bed, cause if he chews the wound he'll open it up. Sad

At least he's on the road to recovery now.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jul 21 2011, 20:06

Nasty, made my toes curl reading that, glad I don't have paws! Good stuff on the excess, sounds like you have a pretty great vets, along with the loyalty card, just wish you didn't have to be there quite so often! Hope he makes a speedy recovery, no doubt he will, and thanks for the update..........eventually Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 20:11

I told em they should be setting up a surgery in my back yard!

The only thing I don't like about the vets is their policy on neutering. I'm sure they're not the only ones, but they give huge discounts on neutering puppies, rather than adults. It isn't just the weight of the dog, although that obviously comes into it for anaesthetics etc, but a 10 kilo puppy will cost about half as much as a 10 kilo adult. They consider a puppy to be a male under 6 months, and a female under 6 months & before her first season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 20:31

Glad to hear that he's feeling better Smile our vets is the same they offered to neuter harv at the same time if he needed his lump looking at which in the end he didn't but i still said no anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by giblet Thu Jul 21 2011, 20:31

glad to hear all is well but i must say ive never heard that about having puppys done and im not that keen on the idea
giblet
giblet
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Here we go again - another vet's visit Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : harley
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 20:44

Our vet had said that if they are of a certain size they can be done as early as 12 weeks if needed, but prefer to do it at 6 months, which i still think is to early IMO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 20:53

ella wrote:Our vet had said that if they are of a certain size they can be done as early as 12 weeks if needed,

Surprised Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 21:26

I no i thought the same thing, they said in their defence that the dog would need to be a largish size dog and not little things like chi's pugs etc, as i was offered to get harv neutered at 12 weeks when we went to the puppy party things as he was a big lad for his age Surprised yer that was never going to happen!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 22:23

I'm glad to hear that Dempsey is on the road to recovery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22 2011, 00:59

OMG Surprised Poor Dempsey. Hopefully now they've removed it he'll be back on his feet in no time.

Hugs >Big Grin< and kisses kiss to Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22 2011, 01:30

Poor Dempsey!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22 2011, 08:49

glad to hear demspey will reciver soon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22 2011, 09:12

When he came home last night he was so sorry for himself. He was still groggy, and kept whining quietly. I took him for a short walk just before I went to bed & he just did what he had to do & pulled me home. Sad

When I got up this morning at 4am (my oh works permanent early shifts) Dempsey went mad. Absolutely mental - he was charging up & down the passage, leaping at both of us with his tail going like the clappers! Then, when I got up again at 7am he did the same thing. It was so good to see! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22 2011, 09:18

back to normal then, thank goodness

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22 2011, 09:25

Back to normal!

Trouble is, 'normal' is 31 kilos knocking me flying! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jul 22 2011, 09:29

and you wouldn't have it any other way Laughing
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22 2011, 10:45

Nah! It's really nice to see him so cheerful again!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22 2011, 11:58

Caryll wrote:Back to normal!

Trouble is, 'normal' is 31 kilos knocking me flying! Laughing

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22 2011, 13:27

Awww glad to hear he is back to his normal self!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22 2011, 15:55

Wow, glad Dempsey is well on the road to recovery .. by the sounds of it anyway!!

We have trouble with grass seeds here...there are some real nasty ones we get over summer when all the grass has died off and they look like little corkscrews.. they are really nasty things, I am forever checking between Jethro's paws for them.

Give Dempsey a pat for me !! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22 2011, 17:08

So glad Dempsey is recovering in leaps and bounds.
We had "spear grass" seeds in Qld so I did a twice daily check between their paws and it wasn't often that I found none.
As well as looking for ticks sick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 23 2011, 17:14

hope he is abit happier today and on the road to recovery.

Back to top Go down

Post by buster2011 Fri Jul 29 2011, 14:39

glad dempsey is ok caryll
buster2011
buster2011
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Here we go again - another vet's visit Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : buster
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down