allergy caused diet change

2 posters

Go down

allergy caused diet change Empty allergy caused diet change

Post by luis Wed Feb 27 2013, 13:38

Hi there,

Bit lost here. Murphy's 2 years old and he's been fed raw since hew was 11 months old. Everything was perfect until he lived with my cousin for two months and I think he overfed him chicken bones. Well, I actually think he was feeding him just chicken carcasses and an egg every other day, with a bit of olive oil. No veggies, no tripes, no nothing...

Since two months ago he's been suffering a skin allergy so doctor wanted me to move definitely to dry food again but I said NO. We got to agree to give him kibble for a month or so to see whether allergy would go away and then starting raw from 0 so we could get what was causing the allergy.

It's been only two weeks without raw and results are quite good: he's stopped scrtching SO MUCH but not completely, so I don't know if this is a long term cure. Probem now is he decided to stop eating kibble (Arden Grange high quality kibble) and I have a couple of questions:

1. Could it be that the fact that he was fed mostly only chicken could have produced an body reaction to avoid chicken? If so, can this be cured within time? Otherwise, I don't know what to feed him when we come back to raw food.

2. Can I assume he's just being stubborn and sleep fine with him not eating because he will eat the bloody keeble before dying?

Thanks a lot!

PS: any nice vet in London that supports Raw diet?

luis
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Murphy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

allergy caused diet change Empty Re: allergy caused diet change

Post by Guest Wed Feb 27 2013, 13:47

Difficult one. Quite a few dogs are intolerant of chicken, but I can't imagine that being just on chicken would have caused him to be intolerant of it if he was ok before.

How long after his stay with your brother did the allergy begin?

Back to top Go down

Post by luis Wed Feb 27 2013, 13:53

Thanks for your reply, Caryll!

He was absolutely ok with chicken before. He LOVED it!

Allergy started while he was with him.it's been like a month since he's been with me.

luis

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 27 2013, 14:07

Are you sure he wasn't being given anything else?

Does he have runny poos, or are they normal?

Back to top Go down

Post by luis Wed Feb 27 2013, 14:09

Well, I can be very sure my cousin wouldn't lie to me. It was hard enough from him to reckon he wasn't giving him tripes/liver etc b/c it was disgusting.

Yes, since two days ago he hasn't eaten almost anything, and today morning I got scared because he pooed a king of foamy white fluid. I tried mixing his salmon kibble with some rice but he's still ignoring it. I think he's simply being stubborn. Do you think this could become serious?

luis

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Wed Feb 27 2013, 18:38

Could even be the stress of him being away from u for 2mths that triggered 'allergy' type symptoms ?

Now you have him bk.... Switched him to kibble...which is gonna be a bit of getting used to ?

Possibly u could have put him bk onto his regulary varied raw diet he was on before he went away....

Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 27 2013, 19:35

What is he like in himself? Is he active & lively? Is he drinking ok?

Back to top Go down

Post by luis Wed Feb 27 2013, 19:42

He gets nuts with my cousin. They were living in my place for the two months, so I can't see him getting stressed for that. Even more, my cousin is jobless, so he was home much more than I usually am.

When I moved in, it took me two weeks to move him to kibble. In the first two weeks, he was on his regular raw food.

When it comes to character, until today he was absolutely himself, until today. He's just a bit asking for stroking and stuff, but I honestly think it's just a bad day with food he doesn't like.

I'm seriously thinking about moving him to him regular raw food, but I'm a bit scared with chicken, which was the base of his diet.

Any recommendation will be much appreciated.

THANKS!!!

luis

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content