Different diet for a change

Go down

Different diet for a change Empty Different diet for a change

Post by Panda Fri May 18 2012, 08:07

Hi, for those of you who want to give your dog a change of diet, you could try this one, it goes down very well with Solly. We buy chicken carcasses, or wings or legs whatever, put them in the pressure cooker for 90 minutes along with whatever veg you have to spare. At the end of that time the bones have cooked really soft, harmless and so easily digested, you have the meat and also lovely stock, you will have to skim some of the fat away, and of course add biscuits. You may find this recipe is a little binding so give a little oil too. Its highly nutricious, Does take a long time to cook but its steaming under the lowest gas possible. so very cheap to make. Also you know exactly what goes into it, I dont think any processed dog foods are up to much, and way too expensive, we are so gullible when it comes to giving our pets the best, and this is what these companies prey on. I bought a pressure Cooker in January and it has more than paid for itself.
Panda
Panda
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Solomon
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 58

Back to top Go down

Different diet for a change Empty Re: Different diet for a change

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 08:23

you must never give your dog cooked bones they can choke and die

bones must always be raw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 10:06

NEVER give dogs cooked bones, especially chicken bones, They may seem soft, but unless you actually pulverise them they can & will splinter & cause horrendous problems.

By all means put them in the pressure cooker & then take the meat off the bones, but please don't use the cooked bones.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 13:40

Just chuck them the carcass raw!

Cooked bones are a no no.

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda Fri May 18 2012, 16:32

Hi, CARYLL AND LYNNE, in reply to your concerns, I have had dogs for 50 years and we all know the dangers of chicken bones, believe me this is tried and tested, But you must remember to keep the chicken under pressure for 90 minutes or more.Try it yourselves if you do not believe me, the bones will go to paste in between your fingers when pressed , if they dont, you have not cooked them long enough.. Of course when you cook chicken in a saucepan the bones will not break down, but cooking under pressure is a different process. Anyway hope you will try it.
Panda
Panda

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 18:24

Sorry but no i won't be trying it, when cooked you disrupt the minerals in the bones and they have no benefit for your dogs.

I will stick to feeding the chicken bones to my boys raw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 18:33

Same here ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 20:24

Panda wrote:Hi, CARYLL AND LYNNE, in reply to your concerns, I have had dogs for 50 years and we all know the dangers of chicken bones, believe me this is tried and tested, But you must remember to keep the chicken under pressure for 90 minutes or more.Try it yourselves if you do not believe me, the bones will go to paste in between your fingers when pressed , if they dont, you have not cooked them long enough.. Of course when you cook chicken in a saucepan the bones will not break down, but cooking under pressure is a different process. Anyway hope you will try it.

I've had dogs almost as long as you have but I wouldn't try it - I just wouldn't trust cooked bones at all, especially chicken ones. The cooking would destroy all the good things in them anyway.

I'm afraid that no matter how they were cooked I could never recommend cooked bones for dogs. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda Sat May 19 2012, 08:03

Caryll I would always recommend a BARF diet (raw), most of our dogs have been fed that way, but those who feed their dogs on processed food should know that there are safe alternatives out there, No one is recommending cooked bones ie beef lamb etc etc. Only chicken bones which break down to a mush under domestic pressure cooking. Anyway lets not argue about it lifes too short.. Wink
Panda
Panda

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down