leaving two dogs home alone any advice please

+2
Jackieb
cheeky angel kim
6 posters

Go down

leaving two dogs home alone any advice please Empty leaving two dogs home alone any advice please

Post by cheeky angel kim Sun Jan 27 2013, 16:34

hi everyone 4 days ago i had a new addition to the family 6 months old missy her and rocky are getting on great constantly playing when i have gone out i have taken missy in the car and left rocky home , what is going to be best for the dogs when i leave them both home rocky has always had the run of the house apart from the living room im a little wary of leaving missy lose becasue there will be a door between them do you think they would wind each other up they constantly play have had a couple of disagreaments but nothing major i have just found a second had cage its a medium size would i be ok to put her in the cage and shut the living room door while rocky has the rest of the house ?? what would be best for them both beacuse of the short time i have had the two i dont think its a good idea to leave the two alone together any advice would be great
cheeky angel kim
cheeky angel kim
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : rocky & missy
Dog(s) Ages : 13 months & 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : male / female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

leaving two dogs home alone any advice please Empty Re: leaving two dogs home alone any advice please

Post by Jackieb Sun Jan 27 2013, 16:40

My girl has full run of the house and I put my boy in his crate when we are out.
I wouldn't leave them both with full run - staffys play hard Smile

Crate is great, pop a kong in there and comfy bedding and u will have peace of mind they are both safe and won't wind each other up x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

leaving two dogs home alone any advice please Empty Re: leaving two dogs home alone any advice please

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 17:07

We let Tilly have the run of the house and Tommy has the kitchen separated by a safety gate, decided like that as Tommy can't be trusted to leave things alone at the moment so least damage in the kitchen , it's only ever for 2-3 max though

Back to top Go down

Post by cheeky angel kim Sun Jan 27 2013, 19:19

my kitchen and hall are all open i took down the wall that was there Sad rocky has always had run of the house he goes to bed when i go out i dont want to upset him by changeing things for him, i dont know if missy will chew up my living room lol, i dont mind leaving her lose but a few times she had a chew at my table and chairs, what do you put inside the kongs ? i have looked at them in pets at home but not bought one yet will buy 2 tomorow one each i was supprissed how hard they play rocky was so quiet on his own there a big differance with two of them they have kept me on my toes the last 4 days lol
cheeky angel kim
cheeky angel kim

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Sun Jan 27 2013, 19:26

we put both ours in separate cages when we go out, much safer that way. same routine at night too Smile
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 19:32

when we first got chance anytime we left the house they were both put in separate crates. After about a year of having Chance then we started leaving them both loose in the house together which was about 6 months ago and have never had to put them in their crates since when we are out

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Sun Jan 27 2013, 20:09

I leave Pixee the run of the house, we are very lucky there. In your case, I would crate Missy, as she has tried to chew a few things, just till things have settled after a few months and leave rocky to his normal routie. Dogs do learn off others, so Missy will pick up on that hopefully.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 21:52

I would seperate them in one way or the other. Small disagreements can turn nasty so it's best to be safe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28 2013, 19:38

As J says , I've seen our 2 fall out right in front of me big style and they really do go for it , so for me at the moment it's not worth the risk . Don't get me wrong there is always a trigger such as a treat that Tommy tries to steal from Tilly , and sometimes they get over zealous outside over a stick so I won't take the chance at the moment . We don't close a door and they can have sniffs through the gate , they don't wind each other up so they still have the company, and they do love each other really and often sleep together and follow each other round on walks

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Jan 30 2013, 20:57

Guess im lucky as only tantrums are from laska telling marley of for stealing her toys but only a loud high pitched yow yow yow. I leave em alone together but make sure anything chewable is out of the way. Remotes etc on window sill. Bungie on the kitchen bin and bedroom door closed. Worst i come home to now is sofa cushans on floor when they knock them off while playing... Notice how i say "now" you get wise about what you leave around...i lost a pair of shorts as i left treats in the pocket and they got to them the easy way by shredding them lil gits. Marley has grown up a bit but is such a grass as i know when i walk through the door something has been "got" as he usually fusses me and tries to lead me to the mess while laska sits there with a "you lil git" look on her face lol. Dogs are bloody crafty
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30 2013, 21:01

My two in the over 18 months have never once faught or fallen out, i'm not daft and no it could happen but if they had already they would never be left alone together.

I also don't leave any toys or chews out when we are out though

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30 2013, 21:06

I wouldn't leave two staffords alone together. I know people do & never have a problem, but a couple of friends of mine had two bitches that had been brought up together. Loved each other to bits & were never apart. Then one day the lady came home from some shopping & found both bitches almost comatose in the living room, which was covered in blood.

Something had sparked a disagreement (they'd never squabbled in the past) & without somebody there to stop it, it had got out of hand.

Since then I've never left two dogs together when I've gone out of the house.

Back to top Go down

Post by cheeky angel kim Thu Feb 07 2013, 03:26

missy is enjoying having the run of upstairs while rocky is in the living room it seems to be working great they are both happy and i know they are safe
cheeky angel kim
cheeky angel kim

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sashdog Thu Feb 07 2013, 10:55

I crate both of mine.

They play so loud and hard. Ozzie barks, growls and charges like a bull!

If left together there will be destruction.
if left in two seperate rooms they will just cry theough the door to each other. Also ozzie messes when on his own.
Sash would probably get up to some mischieve one way or another.
Just easier both crated. No wreckages or blood stains Wink
Sashdog
Sashdog

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Sash & Noonan
Dog(s) Ages : Sash born 23.08.2012 Noonan born 09.03.2013
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down