Single Guy with a dog, advice on leaving alone.

4 posters

Go down

Single Guy with a dog, advice on leaving alone. Empty Single Guy with a dog, advice on leaving alone.

Post by Brophy Sat Sep 01 2012, 18:03

Hi,

Just looking for some advice on any single people out there that manage to look after a dog and work full-time? I work 6 days on and then have 4 days off. Those days I do work I work shifts, and can sometimes be pretty dam long, if I don't end up finishing on time. I live close to family, who are more than happy to come up and let the dog out etc.

My house has a back yard for the dog to run around, but obviously when I leave for work the back door would be locked. Just after some honest advice on those singletons with a dog on how you manage :-). I train quite a bit spend time in the gym like normal people, and like to run so the dog can hopefully come running too :-)

Thanks

Brophy.

Brophy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Single Guy with a dog, advice on leaving alone. Empty Re: Single Guy with a dog, advice on leaving alone.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01 2012, 18:12

Hi & welcome.

What sort of exercise & day to day routine would he have? Also, how old is he?

Back to top Go down

Single Guy with a dog, advice on leaving alone. Empty Re: Single Guy with a dog, advice on leaving alone.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01 2012, 18:57

How old is he? Maybe you could take him on a long walk before work, so he's tired out and might just sleep a while. Also make sure he has toys or a Kong filled with food, or things to keep him entertained.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Sep 01 2012, 19:04

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo Smile

We live alone, I got Moo when she was 10mnths as I new I would find it easier for her and me, I have a walker and also my mum and friend helps on the 5 days I work 9-6, we are just fine Big Grin
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01 2012, 19:14

Its just Tyson and me but I am fortunate to be able to structure my working hours so am never away from him for long periods. If I am going to be away all day, I make sure he is well excercised before I leave and make sure he has plenty to keep him occupied. he does stay in the garden and he has his dog house should it rain.

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sat Sep 01 2012, 19:42

Its just Ledger and me and I work the same shift pattern, on earlies and lates stays with my parents (who live on my way to work) and on nights he stays home alone with a last walk around 8-8.30 before I head off he will then sleep all night and luckily he likes to sleep alot during the day maybe waking me about 1pm for a walk (I only have a yard and he wont toilet on concrete) then again around 6pm for his tea

I just walk him as often and for as long as I can when I can and he has just figured out chasing balls/rope toys which helps and when I do leave him he has a kong with peanut butter a dental (bedtime) chew and I hide kibble around the room for him to hunt.

I also try to make it to the gym for 3-4 classes a week and it just as everytime I go out Ledger gets a quick spin around the park right before I go and right after I get back. We have a hands free lead and I do run with him every now and then but it is very disjointed as he has to keep stopping for one reason or another but it does atleast tire him out a bit more than walking the same route.

I am lucky that he was house trained when I rescued him and he has never even attempted to destroy anything of mine but that this is still the case I'm guessing that he is quite content with the exercise and attention that he gets. I just try to make up for the shorter walk days with the rest days getting out along the canal or to the beach
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 02:20

If you have help available it is certainly manageable. How old is he?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 03:17

If there is someone to come and let them out its fine. I wouldn't have anything more complex than a fish if i had really long work hours and noone to help out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sun Sep 02 2012, 05:03

Welcome. Nothing more to add. Just waiting for more info.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down