stella
jshrew
Simi
AussieStaff
-Ian-
janey
11 posters

Go down

A question about work hours/leaving dog home alone Empty A question about work hours/leaving dog home alone

Post by ardvark Sun Feb 09 2014, 23:10

Hi all long time no see! We have been very happily enjoying our beloved Milo who is of course the best dog ever (like them all lol!!)

Anyway I have a q. re working hours and leaving Milo alone as recently my circumstances have changed as my husband and I have separated and he has recently moved out. I have had to change my hours and as a result I am out of the house 2 days a week max. for 10 hours a time due to my shifts (8.30-6). At the moment my husband is coming by and letting him out for a pee and then leaving again. This is fine except I want to stop him having a key and access to my house and therefore he wont be able to continue helping me with Milo. Milo is well exercised fellow and is a very happy and contented boy, he is of a mellow nature and easy going. The only routine aspect of his day are his feeding times, he has to go with the flow with our work and family commitments as I have 3 children aged 5-10 and tbh he fits in with us no problem at all.

However I am worried that 10 hours home alone is a long time. I'm sure I am not alone in this situation.  What are your thoughts guys? I think he will be fine but need some reassurance. I know it's not ideal being away from home for 10 hours and it's not like it's 10 hours every day day in day out. I am not able to pop home in my lunch break nor do I have any friends/family or neighbours who can pop in either :/
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
A question about work hours/leaving dog home alone Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

A question about work hours/leaving dog home alone Empty Re: A question about work hours/leaving dog home alone

Post by janey Sun Feb 09 2014, 23:36

Honestly, I think 10 hours is too long, but I think they would cope fine at the same time, I just feel guilty leaving Moo that long, would you consider a dog walker on those days? x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

A question about work hours/leaving dog home alone Empty Re: A question about work hours/leaving dog home alone

Post by -Ian- Sun Feb 09 2014, 23:41

Oh tough one... Flo is on her own mornings till I get home for lunch and then home till my youngest gets home from school.

it depends on how comfortable you are at leaving Milo home alone, if he knows you are coming home then i guess he will be ok provided he gets in to the routine.

If he is as laid back as my Flo, then he will be fast asleep in the same place I left her in the morning come lunchtime  Laughing

I think we all know it isn't ideal but given the circumstance it might be worth a go as long as he gets a decent walk and lots of play.

Hope you work something out.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

A question about work hours/leaving dog home alone B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Feb 09 2014, 23:41

A dog walker is a fine idea if you can

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Sun Feb 09 2014, 23:53

I'm going to go against the grain here and tell you that my 4 mth old Staffy is home alone on average 10 hours a day as we both work a long way from home, our puppy seems fine and very well adjusted. We know it's not ideal however it's the reality of our situation. We just make sure we spend every minute we can with him when we're not at work and make a big fuss over him, lots of play time & cuddles. Good luck with the change in your routine with Milo and your personal circumstances, not easy I know (speaking from experience) !!!
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Feb 10 2014, 00:06

Not sure given the circumstances that there is a right or wrong answer here.

We all would be there all day every day if we could but sometimes that can't be.

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Mon Feb 10 2014, 00:16

He maybe fine with it and if not then maybe hire a dog walker.
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Mon Feb 10 2014, 00:44

Ledger stays home alone when I work a night shift 9hrs +travel but he will sleep 10-12 hrs at night whether I'm there or not

I personally wouldn't leave him that long in the day just because with routine he is used to going out during the day and is more likely to be disturbed by the postman etc. He either goes to my parents or I have a dog walker who will come in once or twice (depending how long I am likely to be out) and will put food down if needed

There is also a great doggy daycare we go to but unfortunately its only 8-6 at the moment so doesn't work with my shifts

Definitely a few options out there tho
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Mon Feb 10 2014, 12:01

Thanks for your input all. Like you say it's not ideal and I knew that before posting but felt sure I was not alone in leaving our beloved dogs that long. However apart from my husband leaving all remains the same for him - lucky little thing! He's usually contained in our kitchen but I was thinking maybe I should open up the whole of downstairs for him to mooch about in? He has another bed in our lounge so when we are home he can choose where he goes. He's a good boy and knows he's not allowed on the furniture. Do you think opening up the whole of downstairs is a good idea or not really relevant and best we keep to the norm? Thanks Smile
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Mon Feb 10 2014, 13:16

Ledger used to be kept between the living room and kitchen but all he does is sleep so now has access to upstairs too where he has the choice of my bed, the spare bed or his nest in the corner of my room  Big Grin 
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Feb 10 2014, 15:39

i have 2 days a week i have to leave sash 8 hours a day on her own i hate it but she has been used to it now for a few years,i'm up at 6 and give her a long walk before i go to work,she has the run of the house,yes i do feel guilty about it but always get lots of kisses when i come in so know she forgives me  Smile 
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Mon Feb 10 2014, 22:05

A dog walker is ideal but they can be just fine for that tim eperiod if they are exercised.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Mon Feb 10 2014, 22:15

I'm soon gonna be in a similar position, job change will mean me and the o/ h will be out mon to fri from around 7.30 till about 5.30. Luckily we live near my parents who will pop in to let the wee one into the back garden for a run around and to do his business however they are not fit enough to take him a big walk or run so we are still considering a dog walker. Just coz Nico is so full of energy we want him to be able to maintain his fitness and burn of all that energy, a run around the garden just wouldn't cut it for him but all dogs are different so I would base it on your fur baby's individual needs and personality!
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Nico
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Support total : 95

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Feb 11 2014, 09:05

When I was working in kennels Biscuit would be left from 9-10 hours a day, she coped but was very wired when we were about in the evenings, I wouldn't do it again if I could help it. I've noticed a huge change in behaviour since I've been working self employed and about more whilst setting up the business, she's much calmer and more settled, she's left for a maximum of 4 hours a day now, though this may go back to 6-7 hours a day 3 days a week. She was left with the radio on, kongs, treats, toys and the run of the kitchen/dining room/conservatory but mostly slept and sunbathed!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Tue Feb 11 2014, 11:58

thanks all I am looking into dog walkers and emailed 2 locally Smile I'm worried it might cost me a small fortune though :/ time will tell Wink
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Feb 11 2014, 12:16

I'm going to go against what most people have said above, 10 hours is far too long in my opinion, I'd get someone to pop in or a dog walker to come in Smile
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down