has anyone ever handed there dog into a dogs home?

+4
Kathy
Steve
janey
richyboy111
8 posters

Go down

has anyone ever handed there dog into a dogs home? Empty has anyone ever handed there dog into a dogs home?

Post by richyboy111 Fri Dec 06 2013, 18:34

cant believe im doing this post but i feel that the only option left for me now is to hand my boy into a dogs home, ive tried friends and family but they don't want him, and i feel that i can no longer keep him due to the job centre forcing me to do jobs that are long hours (12/13 hours) don't get me wrong i want to work but obviously it needs to be a job where the hours are suitable for my dog, but as some of you may know the job centre don't care if you have a dog or not:(  its not like i can lave a door for him to go outside either as i live in a flat. i really dont know how the hell i am going to cope letting my dog go as ive had him for 4 and a half years now and i love him to bits!! but i dont want him to have the kind of life where he is stuck on his own all day... has anyone on here ever had to hand there dog into a dogs home? ive even asked friends and family if they could walk him in the day but they also work so they cant Sad i really am gutted

richyboy111
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blake
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

has anyone ever handed there dog into a dogs home? Empty Re: has anyone ever handed there dog into a dogs home?

Post by janey Fri Dec 06 2013, 18:44

There are other jobs, no I have never used the job center, oh had to once, it was horrendous, but there are jobs there that have normal hours, I think you need to start looking a little harder for a job, I work full time and live alone.....
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

has anyone ever handed there dog into a dogs home? Empty Re: has anyone ever handed there dog into a dogs home?

Post by Guest Fri Dec 06 2013, 18:47

You can work around this. You love Blake and he loves you. Maybe you can get a professional dog walker to come in the middle of the day. It isn't an ideal situation but sometimes it is worth a try. What if you get a different job soon and then you would regret giving him away. There is a link to rescues on here which area are you in? biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Dec 06 2013, 18:48

Oh and there is plenty of seasonal work around atm...
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 06 2013, 19:48

Im so sorry you feel you need to do this. There are ways around this. My own situation isnt brilliant atm (not ideal for the dogs) Im now working full time. I dont want to, but i have no choice. I get up alot earlier, walk them, and leave them with stuffed kongs, toys...etc. Im out about 8 hours. Far to long, but theres no way i can move them on. They'd still rather live here with me than a rehoming centre. I totally agree this isnt fair on the dogs, but this is how it has to be. Think it over and good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 06 2013, 19:51

richyboy111 wrote:cant believe im doing this post but i feel that the only option left for me now is to hand my boy into a dogs home, ive tried friends and family but they don't want him, and i feel that i can no longer keep him due to the job centre forcing me to do jobs that are long hours (12/13 hours) don't get me wrong i want to work but obviously it needs to be a job where the hours are suitable for my dog, but as some of you may know the job centre don't care if you have a dog or not:(  its not like i can lave a door for him to go outside either as i live in a flat. i really dont know how the hell i am going to cope letting my dog go as ive had him for 4 and a half years now and i love him to bits!! but i dont want him to have the kind of life where he is stuck on his own all day... has anyone on here ever had to hand there dog into a dogs home? ive even asked friends and family if they could walk him in the day but they also work so they cant :(i really am gutted
You could pretend to be religous and that you have to pray for 1 hour a day, they have to give that to you:D 
pop home then xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Dec 06 2013, 19:55

i couldn't';t give up dogs dont matter what, i'm not willing to pass on my problem to someone else

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Dec 06 2013, 20:03

Have you tried contacting your local volunteer centre, they sometimes have people listed to do dog walking. I have even considered doing it myself as a way into the kind of work I want to do. This may be an option for you, please try.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Fri Dec 06 2013, 20:16

please dont give up on blake,there must be a job out there that does'nt have such long hours,as suggested may be a dog walker coming in once a day to take him out.
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by yeahbut Fri Dec 06 2013, 20:54

Hey Richyboy, that's a very difficult situation. Not a good place for a dog (or a snake) to live in that massive block of flats. But to be left 12/13 hours is a distressing amount of time. I did meet someone very recently who checked their dog into the rescue, but the animal was one of those cute fluffy types and it flew out the door again within the week. Everyone on this forum will appreciate the beauty of Blake, but we know that the rescues are already awash with his breed. Despite this, if you cant find anyone/anywhere else, I believe it would be the most humane thing to try and find a rescue which will take him and for them to try and get a good new home for him. It may take a little time for him to be admitted and you may have to try a few of them, but even if he has to be taken out of Dudley it would surely be worth it to give him the best chance of a decent life.

yeahbut
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
has anyone ever handed there dog into a dogs home? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 06 2013, 21:44

Rich, what a dilemma and I do feel for you.

12/13 hours is a very long day - on a "normal" 5 working days week that is at least 60 hours which I am not sure (although I could be wrong) is not legal to force on anyone.

I appreciate that you want and need to work; could you not approach your family and friends again and instead of asking them to take over Blake completely ask them if they could commit to a few hours a week (pay them if you have to!) to help you and Blake in keeping him comfortable, fed and exercised whilst you are at work? Even set up a rota so they don't have to do it every day? Failing this, if every single one of them works full time (lucky them) a professional dog walker might well be the answer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 06 2013, 22:08

Lynda wrote:Rich, what a dilemma and I do feel for you.

12/13 hours is a very long day - on a "normal" 5 working days week that is at least 60 hours which I am not sure (although I could be wrong) is not legal to force on anyone.

I appreciate that you want and need to work; could you not approach your family and friends again and instead of asking them to take over Blake completely ask them if they could commit to a few hours a week (pay them if you have to!) to help you and Blake in keeping him comfortable, fed and exercised whilst you are at work?  Even set up a rota so they don't have to do it every day?  Failing this, if every single one of them works full time (lucky them) a professional dog walker might well be the answer.

I work a 65+ hour week, its rather normal i'm afraid.

Have you thought about a dog walker or doggy day care for while your at work

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Sat Dec 07 2013, 01:48

I've had to get a dog walker in and she's fantastic although costs money. I'm sure you will try to do what's best for your dog but please take a pause before you do anything too rash. It would be hard to get him back after giving him away I imagine. Good luck on sorting a tough situation
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 20.04.12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 07:44

No i have never and would never. To be honest handing a staffie into a home is a death sentence, with a week of stress before hand. If you really can not keep your dog you should consult a staffie rescue (but i can't see them doing anything) A dog walker would be ideal, but i struggle to say what i would rather do with my dog than give her to a dogs home.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 07:49

cesca1 wrote:I've had to get a dog walker in and she's fantastic although costs money. I'm sure you will try to do what's best for your dog but please take a pause before you do anything too rash.  It would be hard to get him back after giving him away I imagine. Good luck on sorting a tough situation
Not that hard, i had an uncle who used to give his dog to the home every few weeks then feel guilty and take it back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sat Dec 07 2013, 08:37

No, but i've worked in one for the past 4 years. How old is your boy? Does he have any health or behavioural complaints? You can make it work, but it can be hard work; always worth it, but some people don't want to change their lives that much "just for a dog."

If you decide to make it work, we can help! If you decide to hand him over I can give you some tips there too. But I will say, a dogs home is no place for a staff. You'd be better off going through the Blue Cross' home from home system if you have one in your area.. they rehome the dog directly from the previous owners home rather than going through a traumatic kennel stay.. can take a while but at least he'll still be alive!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 09:41

Never, sure there are other jobs which are more suitable Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 15:47

A dog walker would be the best option, tbh. Most of them have Criminal Record Bureau checks, and are happy to get to know you and your dog before taking the job on.

If you do have to resort to a rescue centre, make sure it's a stafford specific centre with a no kill policy, or a fostering scheme.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down