Help/Advice Please.... :(

2 posters

Go down

Help/Advice Please.... :( Empty Help/Advice Please.... :(

Post by Gabbiadini Wed Jan 09 2013, 19:16

Hi all

Gabbi was spayed on Friday morning and all has gone well with regards the op and her recovery from it (the next day it was like nothing had happened!).

However... she's off her food and it's driving me mad!

From the age of 5 months she has been on Fish4Dogs 3 times a day - 1/3 at 8am, 1/3 at 12pm, 1/3 at 4-5pm and enjoyed it, she would be scratching at my arm for her lunch and dinner! But now she just looks at it and eats the odd piece of kibble.

Her eating has gone as follows:-

Thurs 8pm - Friday 9pm: Nothing as she had to be 'starved' from 8pm the day before the op. When she got back she flopped on the sofa until about 8. At this point I got her a small amount of her kibble and she didn't want it. At about 9.30pm I was thinking she's not eaten for > 24 hours now.... I'll give her some peanut butter on toast - she ate this, as expected.

Saturday: breakfast - not interested, lunch - not interested until I put some gravy on it then ate about 2/3 of it, dinner - not interested, so I made some sausage, rice, peas, carrots & gravy which she ate the whole lot.

Sunday: breakfast - ate about 1/2 the usual, lunch - not interested, dinner - not interested until I put some gravy on it then she ate about 1/2, left it down and she ate a bit more at 10.30pm ish

Monday: breakfast - ate about 1/2 the usual, lunch - not interested, dinner - ate about 1/2 the usual but throughout the evening;

Tuesday: ditto Monday

Today: Ditto

Should I be concerned, or stick it out and keep offering the kibble at the appropriate times and let her go hungry if she wants?

I think she's trying it on after the toast on Friday / Sausage on Saturday, is this the likely scenario??

Her general demeanour and personality is fine, so I don't think she's ill or anything...

Does this sound familiar to anyone? What should I do??

at wits end
Gabbiadini
Gabbiadini
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Help/Advice Please.... :( Empty Re: Help/Advice Please.... :(

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 19:27

Just ride it out. They'll often get a bit funny with food for the first couple of days or so, but it does sound like she's milking it! If she's ok in herself & her wound is nice & clean then just keep putting her usual food down & take it up if she doesn't want it.

She'll soon settle down to her old routine, but if you're still concerned when she goes for her check up, mention it to the vet.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jan 09 2013, 19:56

My vet gives me a recovery pack after anesthetics, basically chicken and rice. Give it a bit of time, and then cut 3 feeds to 2 Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down