advice

+2
janey
crystel
6 posters

Go down

advice  Empty advice

Post by crystel Fri Jul 20 2012, 17:11

Hi guys hope you are all well sorry I haven,t been around much.
Just looking for advice no judgement or opnions please, she is young but i have researched this thoroughly and had my last 3 bitches spayed young know the pros and cons.
I am having my little girl spayed on Monday, its been 6yrs since i last had a dog spayed, just abit confused by some of the post op advice i was given i know we will have too keep her as quiet as possible and not jumping too much but read a leaflet saying no real exercise for up too 4wks...!!
I remember being able too lead walk my skye after afew days and she was fine infact i had a hard time keeping her quiet Rolling Eyes Which i am sure i will get with Ava as she is young.
crystel
crystel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

advice  Empty Re: advice

Post by janey Fri Jul 20 2012, 17:14

I think with both of mine the first few days I didn't do any exersize, and after that just gentle lead walks round the bowling green (I lived at a club).

I think the main worry is stopping them from jumping and doing anything over excitable, but thats just what I did Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jul 20 2012, 17:21

thanks Janey yes thats what i followed with skye gentle lead walks but she was acting totally normal after a week lol
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jul 20 2012, 17:26

I think Moo and Scrumpy where the same as that, its just the first few days to get through!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 17:30

I have only ever had my boys desexed so don't know about girls, but yes I would say just try to keep her calm and make sure she doesn't get at her stitches..Some gentle walks on a leash shouldn't hurt...

all the best Ava for your op and >Big Grin< to mummy..she will be fine !! XX

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Jul 20 2012, 17:34

Can you get some toys that she can play with whilst indoors and "Quiet".

Maybe have a look at getting some stag bars for her chew and a filled Kong should keep her occupied for a while.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jul 20 2012, 17:34

Ah thanks Vanessa i am a nightmare when they go into the vets and shes my baby Crying or Very sad i won,t settle until i get her home but thanks for the advice keeping her quiet will be great fun x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jul 20 2012, 17:37

kathytake2 wrote:Can you get some toys that she can play with whilst indoors and "Quiet".

Maybe have a look at getting some stag bars for her chew and a filled Kong should keep her occupied for a while.
thanks Kathy i have stocked up on stag bars and chews for her lots of toys but the problem with that is my big girl joins in then and they run round like loons lol silly but i think we are going too get nice weather next week and she loves sleeping in the sun so that will help x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Jul 20 2012, 17:40

Ummmmmmmmmmmm sunshine Love Struck day dreaming yes that will help cloud9 sleep
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 17:56

I'm sure with Millie it was just a few days then gentle exercise. Its difficult enough keeping them quiet for a few days, 4 weeks would be a nightmare!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 18:04

So young. Sad

But anyway, as far as I know, you just need to keep them from any strenuous activities for a coupel of weeks - once the stitches are out I thought they were ok?

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jul 20 2012, 18:18

Caryll wrote:So young. Sad

But anyway, as far as I know, you just need to keep them from any strenuous activities for a coupel of weeks - once the stitches are out I thought they were ok?
shes 6mnths now Caryll wouldn,t do it before and know how some people feel but for lots of reasons its the right choice for me i am breaking my heart but before i got her i agreed too look after a friends male staff whilst they had an op, and couldn,t deal with that if ava came into season!!! I always get my girls done pre season if i can but normally about 8mnths, i hope she is ok think its going too be so hard keeping her quiet Rolling Eyes
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 18:28

I agree with Caryll so young and pre season Sad

anyway i think most don't have exercise for a few days then gentle walks after that

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 18:52

Good luck with everything on Monday. Hope Ava comes through it all with ease. Hopefully she will at least be groggy for awhile post op.

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jul 20 2012, 18:56

Thanks ella thats what i have done in the past its actually hard too keep them quite Smile
I do respect yours and Carylls opnion but i do not enter into this without very thorough research and veterinary advice i have owned staffies for over 30yrs and most of my bitches are done pre season, without any problems x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jul 20 2012, 18:58

*Lynne* wrote:Good luck with everything on Monday. Hope Ava comes through it all with ease. Hopefully she will at least be groggy for awhile post op.
Thanks Lynne yes she will be groggy but that won,t last Smile i am sure she will be fine but they are our babies aren,t they Love Struck I adore your dog such lovely markings he looks a real character x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 18:58

I will say quick i do not trust what a vet tells me most of the time, and do my own independent research, which how i've come to the decision to not neuter at all.

But it is your choice and right to do what you want Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Fri Jul 20 2012, 19:07

I had Lily done about 6 weeks ago but it was keyhole spaying which meant 3 tiny wounds with a stitch in each. Recovery time is much quicker and no collar, and she was jumping on her chair the next day. Not many vets do it yet but it would be so much better if they all did it this way. I'm sure Ava will be fine, dogs recover from a hysterectomy so quickly - unlike humans Smile
Pollyanna
Pollyanna
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
advice  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Lily
Dog(s) Ages : 2?
Dog Gender(s) : Girlie
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Diwrnach Fri Jul 20 2012, 19:20

My girl was 8 months when we got her done, and hate to say it but we had to put her in her crate a lot, she was just so excitable at that age we were really scared of her pulling her stitches, she had a hernia fixed at the same time as well which was more worry.

We did walk her but slowly on lead only.

Diwrnach
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 19:41

Tilly was done last year, their mental recovery is much quicker than their phusical recovery soi we had a hard time with her not realising she can easily overdo it (as don't forget the internal stitches as well.
For us a couple of days mega relax kept to a lead in the garden for a wee and then gentle lead walks in the garden for a few days, keep her on the lead until she has her external stitches removed and then our vet advised us to keep it like this for a week after so about 2 - 2.5 weeks in total on restricted exercise

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 19:48

Dave wrote:Tilly was done last year, their mental recovery is much quicker than their phusical recovery soi we had a hard time with her not realising she can easily overdo it (as don't forget the internal stitches as well.
For us a couple of days mega relax kept to a lead in the garden for a wee and then gentle lead walks in the garden for a few days, keep her on the lead until she has her external stitches removed and then our vet advised us to keep it like this for a week after so about 2 - 2.5 weeks in total on restricted exercise

That sounds more like it - 4 weeks sounds a bit excessive. Did your vet say why so long?

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Fri Jul 20 2012, 20:00

My girl was done last year and for the first two days she didn't really do anything but sleep in her crate. She didn't have any take home painkillers so I think that probably made her realise she had to keep quiet.

After that though she thought she was pretty much recovered! We did take her on short, on lead walks after the 3rd day as that helped her from getting too full of beans. I think if we hadn't she would've been jumping around the house which of course would've been far worse than a few gentle walks.

She had a quick recovery and had her stitches out after 10 days by which time she was having normal length walks but still on lead and nothing vigorous. Even though the outside had healed, the inside may not have so we were cautious for at least another week/10 days.

Lots of things like Stagbars, stuffed Kongs etc. and playing games like hiding treats round the ground floor to seek out help to keep them occupied without doing strenuous exercise Smile

Last edited by Galadriel on Fri Jul 20 2012, 20:02; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down