Neutering Question

3 posters

Go down

Neutering Question Empty Neutering Question

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 00:50

Not sure if this is in the right section, and I know the topic's been brought up a lot, but this is slightly different to the other questions asked.

Because of what people have said here about it being better if Staffs aren't neutered until they've matured, I've decided that I won't be neutering Loki for quite some time. But I've never had an un-neutered male dog before, so I don't really know anything about their behaviour except the negative stereotypical behaviour (particularly the humping). Just how common is this, and if your dog displays those kinds of behaviours, can you teach them not to, or is it just a case of enduring it? I'm not going to neuter Loki because he might be easier to handle, but I would like to know what I may be up against and how to deal with it.

Also, what are the chances of running into a female in heat? I worry about that in particular because I'd imagine no matter how well-behaved a dog is, his reproductive instinct will override his desire to obey his owner. I'd just like to be prepared.

Back to top Go down

Neutering Question Empty Re: Neutering Question

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 00:59

memphis is 2 years 2 months now and i can say with all honestly since he turned about 10 months since his hormones propper kicked in iv never had a problem with him humping or anything and he un neutered.
i may just be lucky but i feel if he never had it he not really got anything to act on lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 08:02

An owner with his female in heat should always be the cautious one , as we know from take that "It only takes a minute girl" , obviously you should have Loki under control but they should be prepared for problems and act accordingly with a bit more caution , like all owners its the girls parents that have to put up with the consequences

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Sun Aug 19 2012, 08:19

Both mine are not neutered and buster only has eyes for Skye and when Skye is on heat she is always walked where she can't wind up any boys or lead walked along the pavement
Gazagem
Gazagem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 08:26

Gazagem wrote:Both mine are not neutered and buster only has eyes for Skye and when Skye is on heat she is always walked where she can't wind up any boys or lead walked along the pavement

As we said ... responsible ownership, lots of our members don't neuter and that's a choice , but with choice there are risks and consequences , it's up to us to minimise them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 08:28

Sorry I've always had girls other than when I was very young.

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Sun Aug 19 2012, 10:30

I get annoyed generally when an off lead dog approaches Mia and the owners are no wher in sight and don't seem to give a ... And how do I kno that "it's ok he's had his bits off"

Generally tho I do agree, when your girls in heat it's up to the owner to keep her safe, ie walks at unsociable times, and of necessary I would pick her up if a off lead dog approached.

I wouldn't hav your dog neutered to please other people, but I would advise awareness when you walk him that some owners may not want him to say hello to their dogs!!
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Aug 19 2012, 11:07

Sorry no help really. Rocky is from a rescue centre where they neuter all dogs as a matter of course before they are rehomed. If they are very young you are given a voucher to have it done at the vets.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 11:31

My male is un neutered has been used at stud a few times and has never humped cushions, teddies or anything he can get his front legs around Big Grin apart from an inseason female.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 12:39

Chopping off a dogs balls doesn't effect his brain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 13:54

Chance is neutered and he now humps, is still interested in the ladies so it isn't a quick fix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 14:24

Blue is the only got I have had castrated. I never had any problems with any of the other male dogs I've had trying to hump everything in sight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 16:32

So it's not really common behaviour? Well that's good then. I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he'll be OK until any issues may arise Big Grin

Yeah, I just don't want to get him neutered at least till he's matured, but just wanted to be prepared for what problems I might have. Thanks for all the input, everyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 16:46

I think Hayley said it well neutering doesn't affect the brain! and the fact that their balls aren't the only place to produce hormones, says it all really Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down