hi all, quick question on neutering

5 posters

Go down

hi all, quick question on neutering Empty hi all, quick question on neutering

Post by richyboy111 Mon Mar 11 2013, 22:53

hi all, my almost 4 year old staffy blake is booked in to be neutered on friday, just wanted to know if this will change hes personality, have any of you noticed that your dogs personality has changed since being neutered??? ive herd things like they become 'more calm' and more shy and not as confident but i thought id ask people who have actually had there dogs neutered .. thanks Smile

richyboy111
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blake
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

hi all, quick question on neutering Empty Re: hi all, quick question on neutering

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 22:56

Hi, may I ask why you are getting him done? At 4 I don't think it will change him much at all, his personality and characteristics are pretty set by now Smile

Back to top Go down

hi all, quick question on neutering Empty Re: hi all, quick question on neutering

Post by rebeccaleanne Mon Mar 11 2013, 22:57

theres alot of people who are anti and for this. Me personally im for it but we had tyke done alot younger so i dnt have nothing to compare with as he was still growing etc

there will be someone along who will advise or give you ideas on what may change if anything at all Smile

i hope the opp goes well
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Mar 11 2013, 22:57

Not at all, its keeping them calm after the op that is the frustrating part Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 22:58

I wish Chance had never been neutered, he's a rescue and came that way but he is a massively nervous and anxious dog.

I personally do not neuter my dogs unless medically they need it, but yes it can massively change their personality for the worse or better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 23:02

Tommy's balls are coming off when he's 2 and if he's not careful it will be set for 18.04.14 beat that for a BD present you little *******

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Mon Mar 11 2013, 23:05

Dave wrote:Tommy's balls are coming off when he's 2 and if he's not careful it will be set for 18.04.14 beat that for a BD present you little *******

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

why are you going for this?
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Mon Mar 11 2013, 23:05

janey wrote:
Not at all, its keeping them calm after the op that is the frustrating part Xx

i agree i was expecting a calm subdued dog but no i got a kangaroo cross a bull who had missed mummy haha
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11 2013, 23:21

Dave wrote:Tommy's balls are coming off when he's 2 and if he's not careful it will be set for 18.04.14 beat that for a BD present you little *******

rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 00:22

I've only had bitches previously and have found that spaying did nothing to alter their personalities.

Kuchar is my first male dog and is now 14 months old and entire. He is hyper-active and so, so excitable. Several people have told me that neutering him will calm him down. Got to admit, that is quite an incentive. Plus, he is very very interested in other male dogs' "tackle", so much so that if he is allowed to play with them he will take every opportunity to dive under their bellies and lick at their "bits". Very embarrassing! and worrying Blushing

I too would appreciate others' opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 00:35

Lynda wrote:I've only had bitches previously and have found that spaying did nothing to alter their personalities.

Kuchar is my first male dog and is now 14 months old and entire. He is hyper-active and so, so excitable. Several people have told me that neutering him will calm him down. Got to admit, that is quite an incentive. Plus, he is very very interested in other male dogs' "tackle", so much so that if he is allowed to play with them he will take every opportunity to dive under their bellies and lick at their "bits". Very embarrassing! and worrying Blushing

chance does all them and has no balls, so yer i do hate people neutering in the hope it will calm their dog down or fix a problem which is behavioural not hormonal haha

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Tue Mar 12 2013, 01:20

Lynda wrote:I've only had bitches previously and have found that spaying did nothing to alter their personalities.

I'm also finding this extremely annoying, it's like Stig has a 1 track mind and ever since he learnt to hump (started cocking his leg arou.d the same time) he has been a nightmare. I don't even enjoy socializing him anymore as he goes straight for the bits or tries mounting, even male dogs. From what I've read on castrating it's a gamble, some calm down, some stay the same and others go the opposite way and get worse, I've been close to having Stig done but I always give him "a little more time", for me it's a last resort.
stig
stig
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
hi all, quick question on neutering Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Stig
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 06:44

I had alfie neutered a few weeks back and havent noticed any change in him Smile hes still a little s*** haha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 08:08

It won't change his personality. I'm not going to neuter Logan unless it becomes necessary for a health reasons. I'm glad you've waited until he was fully grown Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 12:37

I'm more of the mind that if you neuter them when they are hyper and immature, they will stick that way cause they won't "mature"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 12:42

Hayley wrote:I'm more of the mind that if you neuter them when they are hyper and immature, they will stick that way cause they won't "mature"

That's a very real possibility.

Hyperactivity is almost always down to either lack of exercise, wrong food or a combination of both.

Neutering a calm & mature 4 year old dog won't change his personality, but I would question why it needs to be done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Mar 12 2013, 22:15

i had my boy done at a year and it cured his desperate need to rip the fence down or jump over it and run about town. but dont expect it to stop humping etc almost all of those traits are habbit and not testosterone driven. when laska had her first season i had to keep them seperated after he locked on three months after being done... i'll be honest with you it cured his urgent need to roam but thats it. hes always been a cocky so and so and postures at any dog no matter its size. the problem starts with getting a nervouse dog dog done which will do them no favours at all, in fact it can make things worse.
while i advocate nuetering i do so in a calculated way which most vets dont do.. thats a shame and has created a distrust of vets and the practice. some dogs should never ever be neuterd and others may benifit from it. it shouldnt be taken as a matter of course in either way as the drive of the individual dog should be taken into account.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down