Phantom pregnancy..

4 posters

Go down

Phantom pregnancy..  Empty Phantom pregnancy..

Post by jeni9 Wed Jun 06 2012, 19:50

Hi Everyone,i need some advice please. My female staff Leeha was due to be spayed last week,i took her to the vets and she said she cant be done,shes having a phantom pregnancy and it could cause infection,i have to take her back on the 15th june,shes got milk,acting very strangely and nesting,the vet said take her toys off her and her bedding,me and my partner love her too bits,she looks at me as if too say "what have i done"? we arnt to make as much fuss too her either,does this sound right,anyone else out there had the same probs.. Jen and Leeha Surprised
jeni9
jeni9
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Leeha
Dog(s) Ages : 1 yr 2 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Phantom pregnancy..  Empty Re: Phantom pregnancy..

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06 2012, 19:53

sorry I have no experience but I do know one or 2 of our members definitelty have and I'm pretty sure 1 was 1 of our Global Mods Caryll , hope they can help you soon , I can imagine exactly how you feel as it sound like you treat her like we treat ours >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Jun 06 2012, 19:56

jeni9 wrote:Hi Everyone,i need some advice please. My female staff Leeha was due to be spayed last week,i took her to the vets and she said she cant be done,shes having a phantom pregnancy and it could cause infection,i have to take her back on the 15th june,shes got milk,acting very strangely and nesting,the vet said take her toys off her and her bedding,me and my partner love her too bits,she looks at me as if too say "what have i done"? we arnt to make as much fuss too her either,does this sound right,anyone else out there had the same probs.. Jen and Leeha Surprised

did the vet give her anything to dry up the milk?

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06 2012, 20:00

Here's a post i found from one of our members when her dog was going through it , just a little info though , but I was right about Caryll

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t19207-how-long-does-a-phantom-pregnancy-last?highlight=phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Jun 06 2012, 20:05

sounds about right to me,sasha had 3-4 of them and its really pitiful to see them like it,she'll look at you with such sad eyes as all her hormones are telling her she has babies on the way Sad the other advise given to me was to get her out as much as you can as it will take her mind of the way she is feeling,hope she feels better soon >Big Grin<
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06 2012, 20:12

davemck3834 wrote:Here's a post i found from one of our members when her dog was going through it , just a little info though , but I was right about Caryll

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t19207-how-long-does-a-phantom-pregnancy-last?highlight=phantom

Oh and Stella !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by jeni9 Wed Jun 06 2012, 20:23

Thank u everyone very helpful,the vet didnt offer anything to dry milk up etc.. jen and Leeha x
jeni9
jeni9

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Leeha
Dog(s) Ages : 1 yr 2 months
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06 2012, 21:10

I never took things away from my bitch when she had phantoms, it distressed her too much! She used to carry a squeeky toy around with her & if you took it, she would stare at you huge sad eyes and cry really quietly. It was absolutely pathetic & heartbreaking. Personally I wouldn't take anything away at all, especially not her bedding - she won't understand why you are punishing her!

The good news is that they do get over it in as little as a week, but it may last for 2 or 3 weeks. If she looks like she's becoming uncomfortable with the milk, or if any of her nipples get red or hot to the touch, then take her to the vets & they'll give her antibiotics & something to dry up the milk.

Vets used to automatically give something to dry the milk, but experience found that they got more infections with the medication than without.

All I'd say is that you should be aware that pyometra is more common after a season or a phantom pregnancy (although it still isn't very common) so you should keep an eye on her for the next two or three weeks for any signs that she's 'off' or lethargic, or if she gets any discharge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06 2012, 21:27

Hope everything is back to normal soon
Hate them sad eyes they give....get me everytime and always make me give in

Back to top Go down

Post by PinkPene Wed Jun 13 2012, 09:54

Had a Doberman/Rottweiller cross who had phantom pregnancies everytime she came on heat but never fell pregnant. Our vet at the time used to give homeopathic pills which sorted her out (can't remember what exactly it was). Had her spayed in the end with no puppies ever had but she was a lot happier after that. Smile
PinkPene
PinkPene
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pene
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down