Phantom ?

3 posters

Go down

Phantom ? Empty Phantom ?

Post by Jackieb Tue Mar 13 2012, 13:47

Got me thinking over the last few days, Diesel had her first season started on 15th December and was finished around beginning of January .... Well, her back 4 boobs have been swollen for a few weeks and when she sits they kinda hang down.... Over the weekend she was digging in get bed, but she hasn't been collecting toys etc.

She's generally a chilled out sleepy lump of a staffy during the days so can't say that she's more lethargic than normal , she's eating, weeing and pooing fine.

Could she be in Phantom ?
Are phantoms harmful ?
How long will it take her to get over it.

Ty
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Phantom ? Empty Re: Phantom ?

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13 2012, 13:49

cant help you cause I have a dog, but there are plenty of experts who will be along soon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Mar 13 2012, 16:09

It sounds like it could be, I have a little boy so only a guess really.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13 2012, 16:35

The Boobs can still be swollen for a few weeks after her season .. skye's didnt go fully down for a few weeks and they will never bounce back to original size of when they were pups.
I got sent this information when skye had a funny moment behavior wise a lil while ago when a false pregnancy was mentioned to me by a behaviorist

Check your female dog for any signs of milk production. A female dog that is going through a false pregnancy will have enlarged mammary glands and swollen teats. During this time they may also begin to seep milk even if there has been no live birth.
Gently feel your dog's abdomen for swelling. Even though the pregnancy is false, her body does not know it. The pregnancy hormones can still cause her body to function in ways that denote pregnancy, and one of the repercussions, is a slightly swollen abdomen. Although her belly will never become as large as that of a female that is carrying puppies, it can swell.
Notice if your female dog is showing signs of nesting. A dog may purposefully transform areas of the home into comfort zones as if she is caring for her live young. This can be emotionally stressful for your dog especially when she is missing the most important part of the pregnancy. Pulling blankets and small rugs into corners of the room and making cozy little spots as if she is going to nurse her young are signs that your dog is having a false pregnancy.
Watch to see if your female dog begins to carry around stuffed toys or other small soft items, as if they are her babies. A dog that is dealing with the emotional stress of a false pregnancy will take possession of these items and nuzzle them, gently carry them around and lie down with them. She may be looking for any type of items in the house that can fill the void of her missing pups.
Look for signs of confusion or psychological distress that may be affecting your female dog. False pregnancy can be a very stressful time for a dog, especially if she is looking for her puppies. Her body is giving her all of the signs that she should be whelping, yet there are no babies to suckle. This situation will not only create a psychological toll, but also a physical one that will cause confusion and stress to a female dog that is dealing with a false pregnancy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Tue Mar 13 2012, 16:46

Wow thx for the info!

Reckon I'm being paranoid cause it's only really the swollen mamary glands on the bk 4 not the actual teats, and no milk at all, had a feel of her belly and looks n feels normal.... So I'm gonna put it down to hormones after her season

X
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Mar 13 2012, 16:51

Thanks for the info Kelly, that will be very helpful and reasurring.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Tue Mar 13 2012, 19:06

i would just keep an eye on her,sasha used to have a phantom 9 weeks after the end of each season she had,she got very depressed,and used to always 'mummy' a toy,or shoe,some thing she could carry around with her,it was very pitiful to she her like this.if my son went any where near her she would look at him with daggers,even though she loved him normally.if left to long with out going to the vets she would produce milk,extra walks to distract her helped but a trip to the vets to get a little bottle of hormone drops stops it,it was one of the reasons we had her spayed she used to get so distressed Sad
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13 2012, 19:24

no problem jackie and kathy Smile
Skye had the exact same jackie feel like swelling around the teet? hers has gone now but she had it for a good few weeks after her season, i too worried about it and even got her checked by the nurse who told me its not uncommon Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down