How long does a phantom pregnancy last??

5 posters

Go down

How long does  a phantom pregnancy last?? Empty How long does a phantom pregnancy last??

Post by Pollyanna Mon May 28 2012, 22:26

Poor Lily is still going through it and its really sad to watch. She has a toy dog and she pushes it right underneath her trying to feed it, she cleans its ears and generally mothers it. She is also digging a hole in the corner of the garden and sits in it. Its all very sad and I feel so sorry for her. The vet is keeping an eye on her and has given her medication, I had to take her back today and he said her mammaries looked much better - I have to take her back next week Sad Has anyone else been through something similar?
Pollyanna
Pollyanna
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How long does  a phantom pregnancy last?? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Lily
Dog(s) Ages : 2?
Dog Gender(s) : Girlie
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

How long does  a phantom pregnancy last?? Empty Re: How long does a phantom pregnancy last??

Post by Steve Mon May 28 2012, 22:28

if you go to the vet they will give you pill and it be gone in days

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

How long does  a phantom pregnancy last?? Empty Re: How long does a phantom pregnancy last??

Post by janey Mon May 28 2012, 22:29

I have never experienced it Sad She'll come through it in time Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28 2012, 22:31

My first dog had three of them! They can last anything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks or so.

Although vets can give them something to dry up any milk, they don't like giving them anything to stop the phantom itself. She will get over it fairly soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Mon May 28 2012, 22:37

I hope it doesn't last too long - its really sad to watch.
Pollyanna
Pollyanna

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon May 28 2012, 22:43

book a vet check tomoz it be gone before the weekend

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28 2012, 22:47

Pollyanna wrote:Poor Lily is still going through it and its really sad to watch. She has a toy dog and she pushes it right underneath her trying to feed it, she cleans its ears and generally mothers it. She is also digging a hole in the corner of the garden and sits in it. Its all very sad and I feel so sorry for her. The vet is keeping an eye on her and has given her medication, I had to take her back today and he said her mammaries looked much better - I have to take her back next week Sad Has anyone else been through something similar?

Poor Lily >Big Grin< >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28 2012, 22:55

Steve wrote:book a vet check tomoz it be gone before the weekend

Steve, a lot of vets don't like to do it - it's strong hormonal drugs & the risk of pyometra is higher when these drugs are used. The phantom will go of its own accord soon enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Tue May 29 2012, 07:10

The vet has been seeing her every few days since it started so is keeping a watch on the situation - although i jokingly say that he just wants his Lily-fix - he gave her something called Galastop which stops the milk production. When I woke up this morning her 'pup' was in the other of her two beds so I hope thats a sign that she she is starting to pick up now
Pollyanna
Pollyanna

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Tue May 29 2012, 08:11

sasha had a few phantom's,the vet always gave her hormone drugs and they did work,i didnt know until i just read caryll's post about the risk of pyo,cos sash had a pyo that nearly killed her,i feel like sueing them as nothing was said to us about the drug sash was given angry .we were told exercise is good as it takes their mind of it.we always knew when sasha's phantom was over cos she would rip the toy up that was her baby Laughing
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 29 2012, 11:31

Oh poor Lilly & Sasha. >Big Grin<
Kita had one and it was so hard to watch. Then on top of that she got a nipple infection. Eventually she got over it.

Back to top Go down

How long does  a phantom pregnancy last?? Empty Phantom pregnancy

Post by jeni9 Wed Jun 06 2012, 20:12

Poor Lilly and Sasha,Hi im Jeni and im enquiring how is Lilly? My Leeha is going through the same,its horrible to watch,heartbreaking,the vet said to take all her toys off her and bedding and not to make as much fuss over her which is hard,she has to go back next week,but we wernt told about drying the milk up or medication... Jen and Leeha Surprised
jeni9
jeni9
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Leeha
Dog(s) Ages : 1 yr 2 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Wed Jun 06 2012, 22:28

Hi Jen, I think its coming to an end now - fingers crossed. She has started eating better, stopped digging holes in the garden and sitting in them, stopped carrying her stuffed dog around with her, etc. The vet didn't tell me to take her toys off her or her bedding and am not sure why he told you that. Lily was given Galastop and am just coming to an end of it - must be awful to be full of milk, if its anything like humans Big Grin . I saw the vet tonight and he said the milk production had almost stopped. He also warned that she could start again when the medication stopped but they would put her on another course and that would do it. I wasn't told not to fuss over her, in fact I fussed over her even more as I felt so sorry for her and I gave her special treats as she wasn't eating very much. Thankfully, it wont happen again as she was spayed prior to the phantom which is what started her off. Poor Leeha, it really is sad to watch isn't it? I can't find the big hug emoticon but BIG HUGS for you both and I hope Leeha feels better soon xx
Pollyanna
Pollyanna

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06 2012, 22:54

Big cuddles to Lily >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07 2012, 07:25

BlueStaffBlue wrote:Big cuddles to Lily >Big Grin<

From me too , she's such a little cutie and must have been terrible for her to go through , I am a big hairy bloke and still got a lump in my throat reading it Crying or Very sad hope she's through it all now >Big Grin< >Big Grin< >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down