Quick Question

2 posters

Go down

Quick Question Empty Quick Question

Post by MrFoZzY Tue Jan 10 2012, 10:26

i have a 14 month old staffy that i love to bits he weighes nearly 5 stone and looks great for it....

someone i use to call a friend due to a long story.... they bought a staffy from a pup think they had it about 4 months and wen he suggested to sell it he put 16 weeks old so works out 4 months id say the staffy is 7 - 8 months old now and what is p**sing me off sorry for my language but its bugging me i looks thin just wanting to kno what the general size for a staffy is around this age... he is wanting £150 for this dog which i think is 2 high priced for how the staffy looks i have a ideea but not to sure as we dont talk but im sure its not getting fed minimum 3 times a day cause if it was on a proper feed it would have weight. you carnt see his ribs but i know staffys r bulky/beefy dogs and if u dont put on the weight in the first year its hard to gain weight on the dog... im thinking of buying it just so i know it will be properly looked after and will actually look like a staffy i will try and get a picture and upload and see what you guys think and how much would u offer.... main thing is ive looked on google at brindle staffys around 8months old and they r even beefy

Simon

Last edited by janey on Tue Jan 10 2012, 10:32; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Family forum)
MrFoZzY
MrFoZzY
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Quick Question Empty Re: Quick Question

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 10:32

Well, they all grow at different rates. For example, your staff at 5 stone is way over the breed standard! My EBT only weighs 5 stone!

If you can't see his ribs then he isn't too thin. Eight months is still a puppy, and most pups tend to grow upwards for the first year or so & then outwards for another year, so he's probably still got some filling out to do.

As to price, without knowing the pedigree or seeing how good he is/isn't it's impossible to say whether £150 is fair or not.

Why's he selling, anyway?

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFoZzY Tue Jan 10 2012, 10:39

man i felt like a ninja taking pictures so they didnt know wat i was doing and yes i kno hes over weight but hes pure muscle so im not worried about him as hes in good condition full of life and well looked after... ive had dogs for 24 years and kno alot (dont mean that funny) hes selling due to them both working but ive researched alot about staffys as im a first time owner and im on a few forums about them... my mum has breaded dogs for longer then my age and she says same about it as i feel... with them working alot how can it be fed 3 times? and sometimes i hardly see it out during the day yeah i kno they grow upwards first but thats just down to growing up... my mum got a dog many years ago which was a year old and she never could get weight on him im gonna upload a couple of pictures see what you think....
MrFoZzY
MrFoZzY

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 10:43

all dogs regardless of breed grow at different rates and not all look alike either. my lemmy is full staff 12 months old and is almost 3 stone and is 15 inches high from floor to shoulder. he is not thin but is not fat for his size he looks just right. he is the little one in my avatar picture. the bigger one is a boxer cross so you cant really take her size into account. if the dog is healthy and active enough then there should be no problem. some dogs look bulky and muscly others dont. lemmy has great muscle tone but his legs and bum still look little but i know he is healthy.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFoZzY Tue Jan 10 2012, 10:51

Quick Question 10012010

Quick Question 10012012
MrFoZzY
MrFoZzY

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 10:54

from what i see it looks fine. i wouldnt say it looks skinny. maybe just not the size your used to but as we say thyre all different sizes and shapes

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFoZzY Tue Jan 10 2012, 10:55

now a picture of my best friend @ 1year old
Quick Question 110

MrFoZzY
MrFoZzY

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFoZzY Tue Jan 10 2012, 10:56

yeah i fully understand what your saying just wanted some advice as im thinking of buying it... just with what ive seen etc
MrFoZzY
MrFoZzY

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 10:58

He looks fine to me. If you can see more than the back to ribs they are underfed. They grow at different rates and really don't completely become full grown until 2-3 years of age.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 10:59

buster looks great and am sure that if you decide to get the other dog it will look just as happy as buster in his picture. as for price a dog is worth more than money. if you are willing to pay and it means that much to you to rescue this dog then it up to you if you pay the £150 good luck with what ever you decide

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFoZzY Tue Jan 10 2012, 11:04

thanks julie yeah i kno what you mean the only problem with it is we dont talk so bit hard to put it into conversation if u get me... im gonna have a think about it and work it around my misses lol but i also thinking of getting a staffy from a pup as i got buster wen he was 5 n half months old. just so its easier to bond a puppy with a sorta older puppy (ie buster)
MrFoZzY
MrFoZzY

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 11:06

He doesn't look at all underweight - he looks quite healthy to be honest. I still couldn't comment on the price, though, without knowing more about whether he's a full pedigree, whether he's registered etc. He looks a nice sort of dog, but nothing spectacular if you see what I mean. But it's so hard to tell from a couple of (obscured) photos! Nothing against your photographic skills, it's just hard to see with the wire in front!

MrFoZzY wrote: hes selling due to them both working but ive researched alot about staffys as im a first time owner and im on a few forums about them... my mum has breaded dogs for longer then my age and she says same about it as i feel... with them working alot how can it be fed 3 times? and sometimes i hardly see it out during the day yeah i kno they grow upwards first but thats just down to growing up... my mum got a dog many years ago which was a year old and she never could get weight on him im gonna upload a couple of pictures see what you think....

At his age he doesn't really need 3 meals a day; two would be enough. It sounds like he probably doesn't get enough excercise, but that could be why they're selling. Do they know that you may be interested in buying him? Does he get on with Buster? Have either been neutered?

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFoZzY Tue Jan 10 2012, 11:19

sorry about the photo skills lol buts its hard wen u dont talk to the owners so to save grief its not like i can stand and take a picture lol, ive never seen him out for a walk and i fed buster 3 times a day upto a certain age prob why he fat lol. and im waiting to get buster neutered next month... and to kno weather hes pedigree i dont kno but id be grudged to pay £150 for him. i go and stroke him at the fench but thats only contact buster has had with him but wen he approces he doesnt have his anklers up or tail between legs he just wants to play as i kno buster is fine with other dogs as wen i walk him if their other dogs i ask the other owner hows ur dogs with others
MrFoZzY
MrFoZzY

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 11:53

I've usually fed mine 4 times a day for the first couple of weeks or so, then at about 3 or 4 months I cut it down to 3. Then it depends on the dog. Some I've kept on 3 meals till about 9 or 10 months, others have gone down to 2 meals at about 6 months. I keep them on 2 meals a day for life.

If you don't feel that £150 is a fair price, then don't even consider it! You'll end up regretting paying it.

If you don't get on with the present owners, how would you approach them to buy him?

P.S. Buster doesn't look fat! He looks very healthy, he's just way over-sized for a staff!

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFoZzY Tue Jan 10 2012, 13:20

i dont want to put any more weight on buster as hes a great size yeah maybe 2wice the size of the standerd staffy weight... just took him for a hour walk up near a farmers field near me he loved it jumping in mud puddles trying to go and play with horses then i show him a lake chucked a stick in he wa like yeah u think im getting that ha lol, im gonna have a look around for a puppy so i can bond them both together and buster can show him the ropes Smile i prob would regret paying that price... i would pay it if i knew it was pedigree etc so i thinking of looking into re homing a staffy either from rescue or buying a pup...
MrFoZzY
MrFoZzY

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFoZzY Tue Jan 10 2012, 13:21

caryll can u make me a signiture strip like yours please but with my dog on if we sort out some pictures
MrFoZzY
MrFoZzY

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 13:34

MrFoZzY wrote:caryll can u make me a signiture strip like yours please but with my dog on if we sort out some pictures

Sorry, mate, I can't. The sig strips are for staff members only. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 13:56

Buster looks good to me. What would worry me more is the poor dog being caged all day. Cannot be much fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Tue Jan 10 2012, 22:45

A dog is only worth what you will pay for it Sad if you were to rehome one from rescue then there would be a fee of around £80 I would think and then there is the free to good homes thing.
But that poor little dog pulls at my heart strings and I think I couldnt put a price on his head he deserves a better life than being auctioned off to the highest bidder and if the owners really cared that you were offering a good home with love and food and walks and happiness then money cant buy that. If I were you I would go with what you can afford then if your rejected then you will have peice of mind that you tried your best for him.
Your dog looks happy and healthy as for the puppy then genetics determin the shape he will develop and no amount of feeding will change his destiny.
Good luck I hope ill read you have him and he has a wonderful happy life to come out of this Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content