+2
Steve
janey
6 posters

Go down

quick question Empty quick question

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27 2011, 19:48

Hi guys

Just a quick question, we have been talking about getting another dog when harvey is about 2 years old ish! and would like a boxer, a female, i know they are very stubborn dogs etc, but would anyone advise against getting a boxer with a staff? we would be looking at getting another pup when the time comes.

Smile

Back to top Go down

quick question Empty Re: quick question

Post by janey Wed Apr 27 2011, 19:57

Not a clue Ella, I know boxers are one breed mine takes a dislike too, only when there tails have been docked though.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Apr 27 2011, 19:58

i think it be fine Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Skylas-mom Wed Apr 27 2011, 20:00

janey wrote:Not a clue Ella, I know boxers are one breed mine takes a dislike too, only when there tails have been docked though.

But docking is illegal now isn't it? Can't help i'm afraid as Skye hates anything with 4 legs (or 2 if it has wings as well)!
Skylas-mom
Skylas-mom
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skyla
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27 2011, 20:06

hmmm well harvey so far seems to love all dogs, and i think tail docking is now illegal?!?

Back to top Go down

Post by acidrane13 Wed Apr 27 2011, 20:26

Ive grown up with boxers all my life, My parents had a boxer x great dane when i was born, we had 4 boxers growing up, and chase is my first staff.

Boxers are an EXTREMELY time consuming breed. Probably the highest energy dogs ive ever come across and spent any time trying to train. Ther very clever, but also quite stubborn. As far as owning one with another dog, Ide only go for it if your current dog is very well behaved. Boxers are always in a playful mood, and another hyper dog around them will make training near impossible.

If your interested in a boxer, and youve done your homework on the breed, Ide say go for it, They make beautiful pets, very loving, very affectionate and ther is absoloutly NO limit to their energy.

All of mine have been great with other dogs, including a friends staff, so i wouldn't see any problem having a staff with a boxer, but like i said, training will be very time consuming anyway, Having another dog may work to your advantage, but it way go against you lol.

If youve got alot of time and energy, then a boxer will make the perfect pet.
acidrane13
acidrane13
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
quick question Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Chase
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27 2011, 21:21

acidrane13 wrote:Ive grown up with boxers all my life, My parents had a boxer x great dane when i was born, we had 4 boxers growing up, and chase is my first staff.

Boxers are an EXTREMELY time consuming breed. Probably the highest energy dogs ive ever come across and spent any time trying to train. Ther very clever, but also quite stubborn. As far as owning one with another dog, Ide only go for it if your current dog is very well behaved. Boxers are always in a playful mood, and another hyper dog around them will make training near impossible.

If your interested in a boxer, and youve done your homework on the breed, Ide say go for it, They make beautiful pets, very loving, very affectionate and ther is absoloutly NO limit to their energy.

All of mine have been great with other dogs, including a friends staff, so i wouldn't see any problem having a staff with a boxer, but like i said, training will be very time consuming anyway, Having another dog may work to your advantage, but it way go against you lol.

If youve got alot of time and energy, then a boxer will make the perfect pet.

Thanks for that, yes i have done a lot of reading and that about them and would be well prepared for the endless energy, I would definitely get one when harvey is alot older anyway, but i would wait until i had the time to train one properly as well, but it's good to know that the two breed shouldn't clash, which is why i asked! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Apr 27 2011, 21:29

Skylas-mom wrote:
janey wrote:Not a clue Ella, I know boxers are one breed mine takes a dislike too, only when there tails have been docked though.

But docking is illegal now isn't it?

I hope it is, but still doesn't stop people, see all sorts, 'fashion', nice!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27 2011, 21:35

I don't see why it would be a problem my sis used to have a white boxer a few years ago she was deaf name was stella she was gorgeous and a lovely temperment careful though they are supposed to "vicious" but don't worry not as "vicious" as our staffy's

Though if it was me I would introduce pup to pup not wait.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27 2011, 22:25

janey wrote:
Skylas-mom wrote:

But docking is illegal now isn't it?

I hope it is, but still doesn't stop people, see all sorts, 'fashion', nice!

Docking is illegal for most dogs. But you can still ask a vet to dock a dog if it is going to be a 'working' dog - ie a gun dog, mainly. Docked dogs can't now be shown at a kennel club sanctioned show where an entry fee is chrged to the public; that's why there were no docked dogs at Crufts.

MissRogue wrote:I don't see why it would be a problem my sis used to have a white boxer a few years ago she was deaf name was stella she was gorgeous and a lovely temperment careful though they are supposed to "vicious" but don't worry not as "vicious" as our staffy's

I'd always wait for the first dog to get to about 2 years old before getting another. I'm not saying it's wrong to get a pup with a pup, far from it, but it wouldn't suit me with the double training!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27 2011, 22:51

Caryll wrote:
MissRogue wrote:I don't see why it would be a problem my sis used to have a white boxer a few years ago she was deaf name was stella she was gorgeous and a lovely temperment careful though they are supposed to "vicious" but don't worry not as "vicious" as our staffy's

I'd always wait for the first dog to get to about 2 years old before getting another. I'm not saying it's wrong to get a pup with a pup, far from it, but it wouldn't suit me with the double training!

thats my thinking too, i'd rather wait until he's about 2 ish as a boxer is going to be a handful, never mind trying to train two pups at the same time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27 2011, 22:55

I think as long as you do opposite sexes and a slow introduction, you should be fine. Always be prepared for possible fights just in case, though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27 2011, 22:56

yes i would want a female anyway and take everything slowly, but i would only do it when i had to the time to train them both properly and keep a close eye on them both!

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Apr 28 2011, 00:31

You sound like you know what your doing and you have researched well go for it and an ideal age to get another dog for your boy a little girl hes going to treasure Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28 2011, 09:59

Thanks! plenty of time yet to think about it but i think we would probably do it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Thu Apr 28 2011, 10:53

I think they will be fine together. I have had a boxer and they get very bored and destructive very easily, as they are such people dogs they hate to be left alone.
Also I had a border collie for 10 years and introduced a boxer puppy, well the boxer turned my once well behave collie into a terror. i came home one time to find that they had managed to open the fridge (the boxer I reckon) and ate the entire contents, well there was sick and all the rest all over the floor, it was not a happy sight.
And my collie started messing all the time in the house, copying the puppy boxer.
Obviously don't let all that put you off, it could of happened to any two dogs, that's why I am sitting on my hands when it comes to getting another pup just yet, although I'm tempted, I know the hassle of double training would drive me insane.
Louise C
Louise C

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28 2011, 13:24

I enjoy the challenge I had three staffy x pups the same time Taz, Cassie and their Sister Roxy Then i had seven pups because Taz and Cassie were not quite adults when the five girl pups arived, I loved every minute of it and the challenge. Teaching one of the pups to sit and come to their names while her sisters are chewing on my toes or growling and fighting it was hilarious and hard but i loved it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28 2011, 14:09

what happend to roxy claire??????

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 02 2011, 02:25

bigwazza wrote:what happend to roxy claire??????

I was only a temp to curve her bad behaviour really she went to another family not far from me, they have a male staff too a huge black one nice little family, sad I wanted her so much she had such an attitude suited me great lol once the family got back off of holiday they took her.
I miss all my girls terribly....Bigger house i would still have every single one of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down