HazelJ
gem
youngkaiser
Steve
8 posters

Go down

Fireworks Tips Empty Fireworks Tips

Post by Steve Wed Oct 27 2010, 18:49

Fireworks season is just around the corne, if you have a good tips to get your dog through it unscathed we would all interested to know it.

Last edited by Steve on Fri Jun 17 2011, 15:24; edited 1 time in total

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Fireworks Tips Empty Re: Fireworks Tips

Post by Guest Wed Oct 27 2010, 19:52

keep your pet indoors, it maybe tempting for you to bring your dog to a fire work display but loud noises are usually not fun for dogs, you should close all the windows and curtains in the house turn up the TV or radio this will be a distraction for your dog from the fireworks, many times a dog will seek out small den like place such as a crate if they are fearful or stressed, if you don't have a crate, bed or a similar place that your dog can call his own, it is recommended that you create such a place and familiarise your pet with this place,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 27 2010, 19:57

Kuma actually tried to chase a wee ned from my bit the other night as he tossed one in the old woman's house near me, he made a fast get away soon as he saw the pup eyeing him up .. Laughing she wasnt botherd so a hope she won't get scared

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Wed Oct 27 2010, 20:02

I need some tips on this if anybodys got any the last 4 days we have had kids setting bangers off kaiser hides under the bed and wont come out what freightens me is how fast his heart beats and how much he shakes tis is happening from about 4 every night thought about getting the tablets u can get but i wouldnt of thought he could have themm all the time im dreading bonfire night
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 27 2010, 21:47

youngkaiser wrote:I need some tips on this if anybodys got any the last 4 days we have had kids setting bangers off kaiser hides under the bed and wont come out what freightens me is how fast his heart beats and how much he shakes tis is happening from about 4 every night thought about getting the tablets u can get but i wouldnt of thought he could have themm all the time im dreading bonfire night

Sounds exactly like Bandit - pure panic. In the end we had to get a sedative from the vet every year. Hated doing it, but we were really scared for his health. We only gave him the tablets when the fireworks started, and if there weren't any, he'd go without, so he wasn't sedated all day every day over the whole period. The nearest saturday to the 5th we'd give him the tablets regardless at about 6pm cause we knew it was gonna be bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 28 2010, 00:59

a good tip iv been given is if you use a crate fill it up with old duvets blankets sheets anything you can find and they will burrow and hide and hear nothing
and if you dont use a crate do the same but put a blanket between two chairs
im going to give it a try if he dont like fireworks thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Thu Oct 28 2010, 21:18

Caryll wrote:
youngkaiser wrote:I need some tips on this if anybodys got any the last 4 days we have had kids setting bangers off kaiser hides under the bed and wont come out what freightens me is how fast his heart beats and how much he shakes tis is happening from about 4 every night thought about getting the tablets u can get but i wouldnt of thought he could have themm all the time im dreading bonfire night

Sounds exactly like Bandit - pure panic. In the end we had to get a sedative from the vet every year. Hated doing it, but we were really scared for his health. We only gave him the tablets when the fireworks started, and if there weren't any, he'd go without, so he wasn't sedated all day every day over the whole period. The nearest saturday to the 5th we'd give him the tablets regardless at about 6pm cause we knew it was gonna be bad.

Thats what im going to are they expensive do u know ill pay for them anyway though anything just to keep him calm cant stand seeing him like he is at the mpment he is a nervous wreck
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Oct 28 2010, 21:52

its bad at my house too with my bitch shes awful ive tried alsorts and nothing seems to work only sedation im reluctant to use them now shes 12 wish they would ban them
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by HazelJ Fri Oct 29 2010, 01:22

Try making a cd of the firework noise to try to get them used ti it and make it louder each time.

My 2 usually bark at the noise, i tell them it's just noise and it can't hurt them.
HazelJ
HazelJ
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Fireworks Tips Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harley, Mia
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by whmon Fri Oct 29 2010, 21:49

Buster used to be fine with it until a rocket shot 3 feet over my head once when we were having a necessary walk. Now he doesn't like it at all. My previous dog though, was so distraught by it that I can't begin to describe. I too wish they would ban it.

whmon
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Oct 29 2010, 21:57

i wish they would ban them too sam & bilie din't mind them till they got abit older, they look like they going have a break down or something.... xena used to proper shock out but i think she gone abit deaf

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xMissxZoiex Wed Nov 03 2010, 17:31

Max doesnt seem botherd by them but ill makesure that he is tuck up in bed before we go to the firework display lol x
xMissxZoiex
xMissxZoiex
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maxxie
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 10:03

I am in the same boat... there are teenages that live next door.. they let some off last night and all the dogs around went spastic...poor things.
My Hubby and I are re thinking our plans on new year... becuase my goodness i would hate that poor little puppy to be all alone and freaking out Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by HazelJ Thu Dec 30 2010, 02:53

Every New Year you find heaps of lost dog poster around of dogs that ran off during the NYE fireworks, it's so sad, people need to think how they affect animals before setting them off. Sorry that's my vent.
HazelJ
HazelJ
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Fireworks Tips Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harley, Mia
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 20 2011, 15:26

Rescue Remedy drops and also putting the radio on can help. Sometimes though you just have to use a pill from the vets...in Australia you can get promax. Jethro only has a quarter of a tablet.. just makes him drowsy... and when he wakes all the nasty loud noises have finished. ( I use it too when we are having bad electrical storms .. and when he is flying in the plane across Australia with us ) Yes he is a very spoilt boy, we take him when I go visiting all my relatives interstate. He costs us a fortune!! But I don't care... I would go without for him.... ( and I do!! haha )

Back to top Go down

Post by Deverill Thu Jun 02 2011, 19:25

My staff hated fireworks bless her.

She would tremble like anything and it's awful.

What people don't realise is that fireworks are loud to us, it's got to be 10x louder to a dog. But I suppose most people probably don't care and just want to go about having their fun... Sigh...

What I did with blaze was like someone else suggested get a big duvet to put on the sofa and I'd be under it so would she curled up under it tucked into my legs.

Could still feel her tremble though.

It's horrible as you can't 'do' anything like make the fireworks stop!

Deverill
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tizzy
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by simo1973 Wed Oct 05 2011, 09:08

our 2 dogs will be going into kennels this bonfire night as we are away and i dont know how our 2 will react as we ahve only had them 8 monts or so. hope they look after them.

simo1973
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Izzy
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content