Toilet Training

Go down

Toilet Training Empty Toilet Training

Post by Guest Sun Sep 18 2011, 22:59

Hi Smile

Our 11 week old puppy, Vlad, we think is doing very well. However, we are still having a couple of problems with toilet training. He mainly does all of his business outside and if he has an accident inside it is only a pee. We usually catch him in the act, say no and then take him outside. He has started to give a low bark which we take him out for and he generally "goes". What are we able to do for consistent toilet outside? When he's inside (until he is toilet trained) we try and keep him in his area which is an open play pen with his bed and toys in it (which he has never had an accident in). He knows the commands sit, bed, drop, away, out and eat (and obviously No LOL). We will walk him regularly once he has finished his series of vaccines, but we do run him around the yard and he loves being outside. He does now sleep all night, generally for around 10 hours. We have tried training pads and newspaper (he finds both of these tasty LOL) and we are looking at a crate (the breeders we purchased Vlad from use them and swear by them) but we think he sees his playpen as a kind of crate anyway. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Big Grin Thank you

Back to top Go down

Toilet Training Empty Re: Toilet Training

Post by Guest Sun Sep 18 2011, 23:05

Oooops... sorry I put this question under the wrong topic! Sorry guys!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 18 2011, 23:44

Sounds as if you are on the right track. He's only 11 weeks old so it will be a while before he is completly toilet trained so I'm afraid it's just a matter of time. It sounds like all of his training is coming along well Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19 2011, 06:41

Thank you Big Grin We had heard from some people and read on some sites that a lot of puppies are fully house broken by this stage and we were worried we were doing something wrong! It's nice to know we aren't failing. Anxious first time parents Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19 2011, 08:28

he is very young and sounds like you are doing everything correct, we used a crate for billy at night, and half of it was his toilet with newspapers, otherwise it think he would have a wee anywhere.

I think vlad is a star

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19 2011, 10:00

Thank you! We think he is a bit of one too LOL... but he is a little character, full of energy, love and naughtiness! I am sure he'll get the hang of it... no accidents today, but still a couple of hours until bed time... we'll see Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19 2011, 10:35

Vlad is doing very very well. My boy wasn't fully housetrained until he was 6 months old, they all develop at their own pace. I too would rexpense a crate. They speed up housetraining as well as become your dog's comfy private space.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19 2011, 11:03

Thanks, I am feeling a little better. We know he's young, but you read and hear so much that in the end it's difficult to know what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong. We are doing okay... he's our first puppy and we just want to make sure he grows up to feel very loved, happy and to be a well mannered dog Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Mon Sep 19 2011, 11:05

Sounds like your already doing the right things to train toilet training, only thing I would add is obviously make sure you take him out to go toilet before and after eating and every hour.

Just keep an eye on him and look for tell tail signs he needs toilet, sniffing round, sitting by the door ect. Just got to be very vigilant, an the more you catch him the faster he will realise that outside is for toilet.

Personally dont like the idea of pads or newspaper at all just think its training them that to do it inside is ok, personally just think it makes the process alot longer.

Creates are great for toilet training as you say aswell as somewhere you can put them you know they are safe while your not able to be around. Its a nice place for them to goto when they wish thats just theirs and they can feel totally safe.

Our new pup is doing really well and we have not had any accidents now for a week or so, but still have to take him out very regular and keep an eye on his behaviour to make sure there are no accidents. He goes every night now with no accidents, without us having to get up in the night and also goes during the day while we are at work without accidents with use of create.
johneva
johneva
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19 2011, 12:09

Thank you! Well, so far no accidents in bedding area ever and we have now gone full day with no inside accidents Big Grin He will sleep all night. We are going to get him a crate. Vlad didn't really like newspaper or training pads. He ate them anyway LOL Laughing The area we have have set up for him has all of his "things" in it. A bit like his bedroom... he is beginning to go there when he is told... sometimes not when he has his naughty head on! This is where out toilet training is beginning because we think he thinks anything outside this area is in fact outside, so he's happy to pee there! But, he is getting better. I have a few weeks off work and am doing all the work I possibly can with him and we have also booked him into puppy training once he has finished his with his vaccines. We are trying. I am just happy to know we aren't doing anything wrong and he is, just as we want him to be, a happy little puppy Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down