Saxon is Sick again

2 posters

Go down

Saxon is Sick again Empty Saxon is Sick again

Post by Guest Sun Sep 04 2011, 17:52

So this morning Saxon had puked in his crate. We took him out and he had liquid stool then blood. He was projectile bleeding out of his rectum. So we ran to the vets a block away and they were closed. Of course they were closed it's Sunday. So we called the emergency veterinary referral center and they gave us the number for an E-Vet. We rushed him there and it was $170 just to walk through the doors.

Once we saw the doctor he took a temperature and took a swab of Saxon's rectum. He found that Saxon had an above average amount of a bacteria I can't remember the name of. He said that every dog has this bacteria in their system. And it had gone haywire in Saxon's system. He said this was probably due to an allergy or sensitivity of some kind. He gave us two medications Baytril and Metronidazole and gave him a shot of Cerenia for his nausea. He told us to keep him on a simple diet of boiled chicken and rice for the next few days and slowly introduce his regular food back into his diet. Once he gets better we are going to have him on a very limited diet and figure out what his allergy/sensitivity is.

The vet said that he did not get this from an other dog and it did not come from sharing toys and water bowls with dogs at work. He said that he wouldn't even worry about that. He was more concerned about other people giving him treats. I probably still won't let him share toys with other dogs, though, just in case. I won't be bringing him back to work until he is 100% better.

All in all it was only $207.50 which is less than I expected it to be. But I think the whole thing took a couple of years off my life!!

Back to top Go down

Saxon is Sick again Empty Re: Saxon is Sick again

Post by janey Sun Sep 04 2011, 18:11

Oh catstina, what a nasty shock for you. I hope he gets better quickly and that you eventually find a reason for it. Pleased to hear it was nothing massivly serious x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 04 2011, 18:21

Oh dear poor you and Saxon what a nightmare I would have been in bits

Glad it is nothing too serious and it can be treated hope you find out what caused it
>Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 04 2011, 18:42

It was really terrifying. I've never seen blood shoot out of an animal before. It's not a pleasant sight. He had blood streaming down his legs. He was a lot calmer than the boyfriend and I were about it, though. The boyfriend was screaming and I was screaming and crying. When we got to the vet they did a great job of calming both of us down. They were so friendly and professional. And now Saxon is fine, he's just sleeping in his chair like nothing happened. He tried to play with me before, but I wouldn't let him so he went to sleep. He's a lot more resilient than I am! I'm still shaking over the whole thing. He'll be fine and he'll be even better once we know what foods to stay away from.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 04 2011, 18:43

Wow that's still expensive, hope mr Saxon is feeling better now! big hugs to him xx

Back to top Go down

Post by smitherssss23 Sun Sep 04 2011, 22:41

Get well soon Saxon Smile
smitherssss23
smitherssss23
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Saxon is Sick again Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 04 2011, 23:04

How terrible. I would have been worked up myself as well if Suki was bleeding. Good to hear that Saxon is okay and big hugs to you all >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 00:42

Poor Saxon ( and you and the BF ) Sounds like he certainly gave you a big fright.

Good job on getting him seen to so soon on a Sunday, and glad he's had the appropriate meds to make him better.

>Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 00:52

Sounds almost exactly like what happened to Dempsey, only by the time we got Dempsey to the emergency vet he was near collapsed. It's terrifying at the time, isn't it?

Dempsey's problem was put down to Enteritis & then after the test results came back, Giardiasis. He was on a drip for 48 hours!

Glad Saxon's back home & feeling better. They're such a trial sometimes!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 08:36

hope saxon is feeling better today

>Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 11:08

oh my you must have been worried sicky ourself. i know we dont think of themoney too much at times like this but that was expensice. years added twice once the owrry then the bill. glad alls getting better though. it may be worth a trip to the neighbours to make sure they dont think they are being nice by putting treats in the garden. we had that with our GS the last dog we had. he had a very tempremental tummy and i had to ask the neighbours to please not put him treats of bones and thing sin the garden because the vets bills were mounting up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 12:24

Wow... poor Saxon..poor you and poor BF !! I can only imagine how I would have reacted...probably alot worse!! What a scarey thing to have happened!!

Glad you got him seen to so quickly, and I wish him a speedy recovery. Big hugs to you all XX

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down