bobs
linzy
janey
bullseye
9 posters

Go down

new staff owner Empty new staff owner

Post by bullseye Tue Aug 30 2011, 21:05

hello i have just got a staffy pup which was very unexpected.I only got him on sunday.
He is 7 weeks old and seems very skinny.
His belly was quite badly swollen so he obv needs worming so took him to the vets today who gave him medicine to get rid of worms and she said it was quite a bad case of worms.
The vet also weighed him and he was only 1.8 kilo's is that very underweight for 7 week old staff?
Also i am beginning to suspect the lady i bought him off may not be quite as she seemed as he quite obv has never been wormed to date.
he doesnt have any papers with him and now i am questioning wether he is a true staff at all
Either way he will be loved just the same, its just i opted for staffy because i have 2 small children and i know they are good with kids. I am going to post some pictures and i would appreciate a few opinions as i am not as clued up as i should be.
Also i am feeding him on wainwrights puppy dry food lamb and rice 4 times a day is there anything else i can be giving him to help him gain weight. Sorry for the boring post its just i ahve never had a dog before and i just want to give him the best start i can.
i know chicken and red meats are good for growing pups however i give him some grilled chicked breast yesterday with his tea and he ate the chicken and left his dry food. Now today he has only ate 2 meals and has left food in his bowl, is he holding out for more chicken???????? i am getting a bit worried as to what to do

bullseye
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bullseye
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

new staff owner Empty Re: new staff owner

Post by janey Tue Aug 30 2011, 21:19

Hi & new staff owner Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

new staff owner Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
new staff owner Icon_arrow Here are a list of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
new staff owner Icon_arrow You can ask for help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
new staff owner Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
new staff owner Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30 2011, 21:24

Hi & welcome to the forum.

They are a trial, aren't they? The lack of appetite could either be him holding out for more chicken, or a reaction to the worming. If it's the chicken, you'll just have to stick it out & wait for him to realise he isn't going to get any more! Big Grin

I wouldn't try too hard to put 'weight' on him, just give him good quality food, 4 times a day, which you're already doing! I'm sure he'll start to grow well very soon!

Look forward to seeing some pics!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30 2011, 21:27

Hi from me and Harvey Smile

Well if i remember rightly my lad was 6kg at 7 weeks old, however he has always been a bit bigger for his age, they all grow at different weights so i'm sure it's fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by bullseye Tue Aug 30 2011, 21:38

ella harvey is handsome and he has the same marking as bullseye

bullseye

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bullseye
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30 2011, 23:45

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. They all grow at different rates and alot of new handlers are concerned that their dogs are small for their age. The lack of appetite could also be nerves form being in a new enviroment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31 2011, 00:53

Hi there wave and Welcome from me and RoXy.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of Bullseye.

Now that he has been wormed and the Vet has checked him over and once he has settled into his new home properly, you should see him thrive. Give him time, as it is all very new to such a young pup but in the meantime, if you have any quesyions or concerns don't be afraid to ask.

Back to top Go down

Post by linzy Wed Aug 31 2011, 02:10

At 8 weeks Violet only weighed 3kilo, but by 12 weeks she had doubled that weight. I was worried about her being too skinny as well, but now she is a massive big lump!
linzy
linzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Violet
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31 2011, 06:33

hi from me and woody

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Wed Aug 31 2011, 08:01

Bob's misssus here.

Hi and welcome. We took Sophie on at six weeks. I think the breeder wanted the pups gone by Christmas. She was so tiny she sat in the palm of your hand. She always had a good appetite though and as soon as we got her, like you took her down to the vets for a check up.

She was wormed and soon put on weight. She is now just ten months and weighs between 35 - 38 lb. We don't know for definite cos the bathroom scales broke Laughing

She is in perfect proportion and is not carrying any fat. My son is a semi pro weight lifter. He is dead lifting 38 stone and bench pressing 19 stone. He goes all mushy over Sophie and treats her like royalty. But even he calls her the 'canine cannonball' when she launches herself at him.

The only advice we can give you is to give your pup lots of play but also lots of rest. As you have two young children, it may be worth investing in a puppy crate to give your pup it's own space and a place it can rest without being disturbed by the children.

This forum has been a godsend for information. Although I have had dogs most of my life there are so many things you forget about having a very young pup and the growing up stages.

Piccies would be good. Smile
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31 2011, 08:17

hello and welcome from me and billy

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by flounder Wed Aug 31 2011, 09:55

Hi, Summer was a bit on the skinny side at 6 weeks but had the pot belly, took her the vet at 8 weeks and she agreed that she had worms, her weight was 2.6kg which the vet said was fine, she is now 9 weeks plus a few days and has gone quite chunky all over, her skin still doesnt fit, kids say she needs a new coat as the one she has doesnt fit lol, we call her chunky butt, they all grow at different rates. We have just started training Summer and when I put her food down she looks at me as if to say 'where's my treat', they are definately not stupid!lol
Am sure she will be fine, if the vet is happy with him, then he should be fine.
Good luck with him, cant wait to see pics.
Oh by the way, everyone on here is fab, I would be a complete nut job if it wasnt for all the advice everyone has given me in the past few weeks.
flounder
flounder
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Summer
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by angeloreyes27 Fri Sep 02 2011, 11:48

My pup at 6 weeks weighed 3.0 KG took him to the vet this week he's at 12 weeks and now hes at 8.7KG lolol

now on average he's putting on a kilo to a kilo and a half per week,

As for food I dont give him anything other than Royal Caine (junior) which covers up to the first year in his bowl and every now and then he gets his treats.....

Once a week he enjoys his bowl of weatabix/milk and his dried pig ears and anything he can chew on hahaha (he went mental when i opened a peparami in living room and smelt it from the bed room) hahah

After switching to royal caine within 24 hours his (mess) got solid staright away that is when i realised the quality of food.....It might be more expensive but worth it in the end

From what ive noticed from my dog... is that sometime he can get bored of smelling the same food and goes to the other dogs bowl (greedy boy)

angeloreyes27
angeloreyes27
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter, Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years, 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male/Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby&Me Fri Sep 02 2011, 12:16

Hiya and welcome, I highly recommend the food your already using, ruby is on the same and it's natural, let him settle in and he will soon start gaining Smile I am a huge worrier and don't know where I'd be without the help and support of the guys in this forum, did the vet not try and give you any advice?
Ruby also eats whatever meat/fish first and leaves her biscuits!! but I leave her bowl down and she grazes on them through the day x
I hope all is ok, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any more Q's, keep us posted xx
Love Carla, Ruby (and soon Beau) xxxxxxx
Ruby&Me
Ruby&Me
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
new staff owner Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby and Beau
Dog Gender(s) : Girl and Boy <3
Support total : 9

https://www.facebook.com/CarlaMOFO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02 2011, 15:05

Hi and welcome.

You did the right thing taking little Bulleye to the vets. Puppies need to be wormed regularly, it is very important. Can't wait to see some photos..loving the name and description of him!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Fri Sep 02 2011, 17:37

I feel really relieved after reading these posts. Sounds like pups come in all weights and sizes. I've been worrying that our puppy Dora is underweight because I've been looking at plump puppy pics all day Blushing

We visited the litter when she was 5.5 weeks. She wasn't any smaller than her littermates, but they all seemed a bit small. There were 11 of them! I think the breeders were a little alarmed that there were so many. They are first (and last) time breeders and I don't think they new what they were letting themselves in for! They did admit to being a little late in worming the puppies.

I can't believe how much I am worrying about everything! I hope she is ok! I'll be relieved if she has plumped up a bit in the next couple of weeks before we collect her.

I hope Bullseye is doing well!

alexiastra
alexiastra
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
new staff owner Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dora
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://www.alexandrabuckle.co.uk

Back to top Go down