aggression

2 posters

Go down

aggression Empty aggression

Post by bob Mon Aug 29 2011, 23:19

hi everyone. hope one of u can help me. i got my boy just before his second birthday and although i know i probably would have been better getting a pup i couldnt wish for a more mild mannered staff with my young kids and people in general. the problem is other dogs...... he dont do them. i live in a town so as u will understand it isnt easy to find a walk where u can avoid other dogs who have been let off there leads 4 a run. i never let him off his lead and its sutch a shame that the only run he gets is my 20ftx20ft garden. i have bought an extending lead but thats ok 4 me but not the missus as he is a big boy. same weight as my 7 year old son. any help would be appreciated but please dont suggest a muzzle as i woudnt put him through that. he would hate it. thanx at wits end someone told me to get a puppy to go with him but frankly this sound crazy. wouldnt be able to trust him and surely the pup would learn all his bad habbite?

Last edited by bob on Mon Aug 29 2011, 23:24; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : afterthought)

bob
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : indie
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

aggression Empty Re: aggression

Post by Guest Mon Aug 29 2011, 23:54

i take it his dog aggressive?
i rescued my last staffy at just a little younger than 2years old, and he was dog aggressive, its all well and good saying you wont muzzle him because its not nice but he will get used to it, its either that or he goes for another dog, the owner goes to the police and your dog is removed from your care because of it.
its just choosing the correct restraint for your dog, im not saying he needs it because i dont know how dog aggressive he is lol, so its not my place to say.

With diesel (my previous rescue) he would want to have a pop at any dog unless it was a pup or an old sbt F.male .. We Muzzled him for the safety of him and other dogs, we had him on a harness and a short lead aswell on walks and when we went the park we would go deep in so he could go on a long lead.
sometimes it cant be helped and you have to use correct restraint when on walks, it may not look nice when muzzled but you are protecting him and other dogs from harm.
As for another pup to calm him down, if he is dog aggressive it is very unlikely that this would work lol i wouldn't bring in another dog knowing mine was dog aggressive, asking for trouble lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30 2011, 01:12

Hi & aggression Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

aggression Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
aggression Icon_arrow Here are a list of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
aggression Icon_arrow You can ask for help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
aggression Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
aggression Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30 2011, 01:18

They are an aggressive breed by nature and it's possible that he will just not get along with other dogs. That doesn't mean that it's not possible though. Is he automatically aggressive toward any dog or just the ones that are barking or showing some type of aggression? If it's all dogs I would suggest a behaviorist unless you haev alot of experience with training. If it's just other aggressive dogs you can aviod them. I would not suggest getting a second dog if your boy is aggressive. Bringing a second dog home can cause jealousy issues in some cases.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30 2011, 08:32

hello and welcome to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by laura-saff Tue Aug 30 2011, 11:12

Hi, I've had the same issue with mine, I could not even walk her properly. have you tried taking him to any dog classes? I started taking one a week at my local center and they would bring in a dog that was not at all agressive and quite calm and work on that and then try a bit bigger dog and so on. It only worked to a point and once I had learnt how to do it the rest was just practice while out on walks but the classes helped us learn in a controlled environment what worked for saff. Also I used my dads dog and firstly planned walks where we would bump into each other and then eventually meet up, it took a while but now they walk together fine and has massivley improved her. Just a few things you could try?
laura-saff
laura-saff
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : saffron (saffy)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 30 2011, 11:26

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Firstly, some staffords are naturally dog aggressive & no amount of training will stop them. That's not to say that this is the case here, but just be warned.

Does he 'go' for every dog he sees, or just those that come near or show dominance/aggression towards him?

If he's food motivated you could try taking treats with you on your walks - as soon as you see another dog, get yours to sit & hold the treat up near your face. Tell him "Watch" (try this at home a few times first so that he knows what you're asking of him) and as soon as he looks at you/the treat, tell him "Good boy" and give him the treat.

It'll be time consuming & will take a while, but hopefully eventually as soon as he sees a dog, he'll look at you for a treat! Then you can start to get a little closer before treating. Also teach him a strong "Leave" command, which can also help.

Whatever you do, don't let him off lead unless you are absolutely certain that there are no other dogs around - you don't want an accident!

If the above doesn't work, then you should really think about a muzzle if he's extremely aggressive because you can't always control what other people are going to do with regards to their own dogs & if one approaches & gets too close, there could be bad consequences. Most dogs will easily get used to a basket muzzle without too much of a problem & once they are used to it it doesn't bother them in the least.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down