your opinions??????

+3
Amipopzzz
Steve
richyboy111
7 posters

Go down

your opinions?????? Empty your opinions??????

Post by richyboy111 Tue Aug 16 2011, 21:16

when you have your dogs 'bits' cut off does it calm them down? ive herd that it does but wanted to see if any of you have seen a change in your dog once they get the snip.

thanks

richyboy111
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blake
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

your opinions?????? Empty Re: your opinions??????

Post by Steve Tue Aug 16 2011, 21:17

some time it does but some time doesn't it depend on the dog.

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16 2011, 21:27

it calmed Samson down he was done at 9 months old

Back to top Go down

Post by Amipopzzz Tue Aug 16 2011, 21:44

Its calmed Henry down, he's still mental but doesnt hump everyone that walks through the door now =D he was about 4 when he was done =D
Amipopzzz
Amipopzzz
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
your opinions?????? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Missy
Dog(s) Ages : approx 13/14
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16 2011, 21:55

It can calm them down and it can make them less aggressive. Doesn't always happen, but it sometimes does.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Tue Aug 16 2011, 22:11

Mine is still intact hes never humped unless mating though Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by richyboy111 Tue Aug 16 2011, 22:12

its the hyperness i want sorted lol he jumps up and over everone who comes to mine, i can see it annoys the people who he jumps over,but wen i pull him away and make him stay by me he crys cus he wants to have a fuss

richyboy111

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Tue Aug 16 2011, 22:21

That is very typical behavior for a stafford they just love people, think you would still see him jumping around guests training would be enough.
I have had my girl neutered she hated the season stage was very depressed and withdrawn I had her neutered and she lost confidence is quite fearful but I still adore her she has a heart of gold just wondered weather having her spayed changed her or age Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16 2011, 22:47

My Rescue diesel was castrated a few weeks after we got him home, he humped quite alot when guest's would come over .. when he had the op done, it stopped completely within a week!, his behavior also improved he was less hyperactive

Vinnie was castrated at 6months and he has never humped .. he also calmed down alot, he started to behavior alot better i.e. he would listen to things he was been told, he was less hyper etc.

I dont get mine done for behavior tho' because to be honest i have never really had a major! problem with behavior .. i do it purely because i am not using them for breeding purposes so they dont need the equipment, so id rather them be taken out than risk them having health issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by richyboy111 Tue Aug 16 2011, 23:54

staffy-lover89 wrote:My Rescue diesel was castrated a few weeks after we got him home, he humped quite alot when guest's would come over .. when he had the op done, it stopped completely within a week!, his behavior also improved he was less hyperactive

Vinnie was castrated at 6months and he has never humped .. he also calmed down alot, he started to behavior alot better i.e. he would listen to things he was been told, he was less hyper etc.

I dont get mine done for behavior tho' because to be honest i have never really had a major! problem with behavior .. i do it purely because i am not using them for breeding purposes so they dont need the equipment, so id rather them be taken out than risk them having health issues.

yeh i also dont plan to breed, i spoke to a vet when he was a puppy and they said if i get him done it stops alot of health problems, blake is fine with his behavior when he is alone with me, but very hyper around other people, i just thought that if i was to get him done then it may calm him down aswell as stop any health problems later on in life

richyboy111

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16 2011, 23:58

yeaah, Vinnie was exactly the same as you are describing with blake .. now vinnie is brilliant with new people, he will sit for kids and let them stroke him etc, not jumping once .. with older people he will wait for them to call him and then he will go lap it up.
i think it does calm all dogs to a degree, some alot! some not so much Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16 2011, 23:58

I don't think castration will stop the hyper behaviour around other people - only training will do that.

Back to top Go down

Post by richyboy111 Wed Aug 17 2011, 00:00

i think its the way i should go though as i dont really plan on breeding, even if it dont calm him down much atleast it may stop health problems...i will just have to try and save up as im out of work at the moment and i dont think the pdsa will do it

richyboy111

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 17 2011, 00:05

i think its a bit of both .. but yes mainly the training!, but castration helped so much with my previous staffy who was castrated at the age of 2.

A decision only you can decide on as you know what is best for your dog Smile
personally im a high believer in castrating animals not been used to breed, but that is personal preference, everyone is different Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Wed Aug 17 2011, 10:04

One thing that really annoys me is thinking that castration is a be all and end all for a dogs problems and that if a dog is not 'done' he will grow into a hyper sex mad lunatic. I have known many entire dogs no different to others, and my boy is personally not done nor would i wish to get him done. His behaviour is excellent and this is down to firm boundaries and strict training, not chopping off a piece of his anatomy that dogs have happily lived with since their creation. Castration would be my very last port of call with a badly behaved dog and i believe this gung ho attitude to it is vets and rescue centres pushing it on people and sheer laziness on some owners behalf who have no idea of correct training methods. As for people saying it benefits health, testicular cancer is incredibly rare in dogs.
It can also have negative health implications; a dog castrated too early can someones stay stuck in its puppy mode forever and never mature, and there are many out of standard pure breed dogs around as castrating too early can encourage the dog to continue to grow beyond its normal height.
Another thing that really irritates me is this attitude rescue centres have to rehoming with uncastrated dogs. I wish to rehome an older staffy but i am refused because my dog is not 'done.' The dog i wish to rehome will be spayed anyway! With all these staffies in rescue you'd think they'd be less bloody fussy.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Amipopzzz Wed Aug 17 2011, 11:42

I rescued Henry when he was approx 3 years of age, and no amount of time, training or walking could calm him or stop him humping, as i tried everything, his behaviour was already learnt. Since his been done his quality of life has improved 100% He has a better attitude, less pent up energy.

The point is, its a personal choice. Down to the owner to decide. Nobody can tell anybody what to do, we can only advise from what we personally have experienced.
Amipopzzz
Amipopzzz
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
your opinions?????? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Missy
Dog(s) Ages : approx 13/14
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Aug 17 2011, 11:57

all dogs are differnet getting one down may help but other one may just be the same.

I know it not nice to thinking about but if your dog is ment to get cancer it will dont matter if you get him neutered or not Sad .

shakespearesdog wrote:vets and rescue centres pushing it on people and sheer laziness on some owners behalf who have no idea of correct training methods

I agree with this i think they started the spading and neutering canpaign to stop unwanted pup which failed from th beginning.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 17 2011, 20:12

although i agree with many points on both sides of this argument not one person has yet to say if their dog grew up afterwards. i ahve been told it is rare for it to happen and that i must have had one of the od percent of dogs that this RARE condition afflicted. we were advised to have our last dog done to not only calm him down but to stop him humping and to irradicate any chance of bad behaviour or agression and so when he was 8 months old we listened to this so called advise and took him for his bits chopping off. the dog never grew up he was a GS and weighed 8.5 stone of solid dog and this solid dog still thought it was a puppy and could jump on you lay on you and generaly behave like a puppy untill the day he died he aged 7. his deth had nothing to do with it but for 7 years we had a puppy instead of being able to see him grow up. i will not have my staffy done purely because i dont want to chance it happening again. we will let him grow up and keep all his bits (even though its not apretty site sometimes LOL) and keep on with the training and exercising and discapline and what ever else he will need. we chose the dogs to come live with us and it is up to us to put in the effort time and commitment it takes without resorting to drastic measures and violating our dogs bodies purely for the quick fix or because someone else says so. listen to yourself you know your dog better than any one

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 17 2011, 23:40

The only thing I would add is that if you want to neuter your dog, please try to wait until it is mature (with a male staff that's around 18 months/2 years). That way he will not only gain his full physical maturity, but will also gain full mental maturity & be more confident and sure of himself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 18 2011, 00:17

I got my lot done for health reasons just the thought of them getting ill due to something i could of prevented goes right through me to the core i know what my luck is like lol.
like vaccinations you get them done to prevent health issues.
sure thing I hurried getting my male done at 8 months because my older female came into season (too late for that one)
I got my young female spayed at 6 months again due to health reason, has it calmed her down no, will it? i don't know she is only 10 months, did it calm my male down, kinda eventually (i am seeing a calmer Taz but thats also with training)
but has Taz grown up yes he has he's a lot more mature now so he hasn't stayed in his puppy ways.
I will be getting my older female done, I will do anything to prevent any health issues, just like i got them vaccinated, just like i got them microchipped, just like they have flea and worm treatments.
These things play over in my mind. Its an unnecessary risk putting your dogs under the knife when there is no "real" reason, but yet again if something does go horribly wrong how many surgeries are they going to need then which could of been prevented.
Do i think in some cases neutering stops unwanted behaviour yes but i also think in other cases it is not the answer..training will always come first in my book.
Hormones (testosterone) is another reason just like teenagers a huge hormone boost round a certain age, It can have affects on behaviour (so many dogs in shelters and or given up around 2 years old because of its teenage years), some say if you remove the male dogs testicle there will be less of the hormone testosterone runing through the dog so you will get a calmer dog but if behaviour has been going on a while habit may pick up where the hormones left off. So again training is key with or without surgery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor Thu Aug 18 2011, 02:55

Caryll wrote:The only thing I would add is that if you want to neuter your dog, please try to wait until it is mature (with a male staff that's around 18 months/2 years). That way he will not only gain his full physical maturity, but will also gain full mental maturity & be more confident and sure of himself.

I completely agree!
Thor
Thor
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Thor
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tys mummy Tue Aug 23 2011, 11:53

I got my Ty done when he was around 16 months I think it has calmed him slightly but he only had it done about 6 months ago so only time will tell but it didnt stop the jumping over people he still tramples any visitors we have round I think its a staffy thing lol
Tys mummy
Tys mummy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ty
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down