linzy
kris82
SteveJ68
Pittboss
Skye86
madeira264527
11 posters

Go down

Need advice please . Empty Need advice please .

Post by madeira264527 Thu Aug 04 2011, 14:21

Hi people, I have a 13 week old staffy, Shes coming on very good with her all round training, Untill comes to the part of toilet training her, I take her out say toilet she goes for a wee, Sometimes she will go for a poo, But she seems to contanly poo behind the tv, And In my older dogs bed, Because she Is kep In the kitchen with a baby gate, But having real nightmare toilet training her, Any tips or advice you guys can give me, Be very much apreated, Maybe Im doing It all wrong ?!, Today we let her out of the kitchen where she Is kept, She weed twice In the side room and living room, We told her off, And when put her back Into the kitchen, I found poo behind the tv, How often should I be taking her out ? , Thanks Smile .
madeira264527
madeira264527
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Keisha
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Need advice please . Empty Re: Need advice please .

Post by Skye86 Thu Aug 04 2011, 14:43

Skye's 11 weeks now and doing quite well, apart the odd accident now and then, but all we've been doing with her is letting her out everytime she wakes up (she sleeps a lot at the moment) after she's eaten and any time we catch her sniffing about in between. Oh, and just before we go to bed at night.

Must have her out at least 10 times a day!

I'd just say keep an eye on the behaviour, you can usually tell when they want to do something. Sniffing around and wandering in circles is a good indicator Smile
Skye86
Skye86

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 12/5/2011
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04 2011, 14:51

She is only young. I suggest you take her out after sleeping, eating, or drinking and every hour in between.
Take her outside to where you would like her to do her business, use a keyword or phrase ( I say..."do wees" ) and when she does do a wee or poo give her huge praise. She will soon learn. It does take time and consistency, but she'll get there.
When she messes in the house, remove her from the area and clean up any messes when she is not there watching.
I have been told that the best products to use that will nuetralise any odours ( for yourself and so she won't return to the same area ) are either vinegar or Biozet Laundry powder.

Good luck......keep us posted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skye86 Thu Aug 04 2011, 14:55

Oh yeah, and as Loopy says lot's of praise when they do! While training her we've also taught her to sit and give paw for the treats after! Two birds with one stone lol
Skye86
Skye86

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 12/5/2011
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Pittboss Thu Aug 04 2011, 15:03

I would take Keisha out at least once an hour and take her out before you let her out of the gated area to roam the house.It helps a lot if you can catch her weeing and stop her and take her out to finish.They seem to make the connection when stopped corrected and brought out side quickly.
Blue is now 4 months old and we have him fully trained now.I was teaching him to bark at the door when he had to go out but this caused some confusion and we missed his bark too often.So we got a set of doggie door bells and I have trained him on them.Here is a link to the door bells http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=D10562%20BK&source=igodigital&pagetype=Product
They are a great tool and it makes it very clear when he has to go out.Good luck and keep up the good fight it will workout in the end.
Pittboss
Pittboss

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blue
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04 2011, 15:30

Firstly, don't tell her off - she doesn't know any better as she's just a pup. Anyway, by the time you've seen what she's done, it's too late, she won't know what you're telling her off about!

Take her outside every hour, plus as soon as she wakes up, or after a feed, or after playing. When she does her toilet outside, loads of praise. If she does it inside, totally ignore it & take her outside. While she's outside clear up her accident & forget about it.

She will catch on, and one day you'll find that she's suddenly house trained!

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveJ68 Thu Aug 04 2011, 18:53

I must be lucky,when im at home i have the back door open so Arthur has permanent access to the garden,he is 13 weeks old now, when he needs to go to the toilet he takes himself, cant fault him at all,this was all archived by following the outside every hour rule and after food, and heaps and heaps of praise, when he's left on his own we expect the odd accident, (he's not crated)but i leave paper down,and he tries to aim for the paper,not always successful lol,but he tries,when i get home the first thing i do is go in the garden and wait with him until he goes,and again,loads of praise, sometimes its clean when i come home and he cant wait to get out and uncross his little legs lol,
SteveJ68
SteveJ68
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by kris82 Fri Aug 05 2011, 11:37

coco is 14 weeks, we just took her out after every meal and sleep. when she did go outside we gave her a choc drop (food gave a possitive memory)
she now goes out independantly....... Though only with the back door open otherwise she does what she has to by the back door any advise to help her tell us would be great

With the poo behind the T.V there must be a sent left that she can smell i have always used half a cup of 50/50 white vinegar and water poured it over the stain/area. using paper towels to absorb excess moisture.Sprinkle the area with a good handful of baking soda and work it into the carpet with your fingers. Allow to dry.When the baking soda is dry vacuum it up.

Your carpet will smell sweet and fresh with no hint of dog poop odor.

kris82
kris82
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : coco
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by linzy Fri Aug 05 2011, 11:45

With Violet I've just been trying to get her out regularly in the hope that by the time she needs to go, she's already outside. However recently, now that she allowed out to the park, she's taken to sitting by the door when she needs to go, so that she gets out. Only problem is, she's worked out that sitting by the door means going out (her new favourite thing) so sometimes she just sits there, even if she doesn't need!
linzy
linzy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Violet
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by bluelagoon Fri Aug 05 2011, 11:51

The advice i followed is they want to wee when they wake up, after meals and inbetween you can tell when they r pondering around. and they poo in when they get up in the mornin and after they eat ( eating stimulated there digestive system ) If i caught clyde mid motion...lol i would pick him up and take him outside without alarming him too much as he would think he had done wrong. Make sure she has not urinated behind the tv, that might be why she returns there!! good luck xxx
bluelagoon
bluelagoon
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Clyde and Bonnie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yo and 6mo
Dog Gender(s) : Male and female

Back to top Go down

Post by constantknot Tue Aug 09 2011, 18:20

linzy wrote:With Violet I've just been trying to get her out regularly in the hope that by the time she needs to go, she's already outside. However recently, now that she allowed out to the park, she's taken to sitting by the door when she needs to go, so that she gets out. Only problem is, she's worked out that sitting by the door means going out (her new favourite thing) so sometimes she just sits there, even if she doesn't need!

Same exact thing is happening with me! He waits by the door so patiently, and I'm thinking, "Wow! He totally gets this!" and then we head outside... he sprawls out on the grass and tries to snooze.
constantknot
constantknot

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sully

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhysaquilina10 Wed Aug 10 2011, 01:21

i have a 5 month old english staff called diesel and he was shocking when i first got him (obviously) all you have to do is just keep taking him out, in the morning and at night, he sleeps with me every night under the blankets he cuddles up where my feet are, he peed my bed twice and apart from that he has learnt everytime he goes outside he goes to the grass and wees, if i sleep in he will too and hold it until i put him outside, its really not that hard and there is no special way just takes practise and time.

Rhysaquilina10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel

Back to top Go down

Post by lauren19 Wed Aug 10 2011, 11:44

With Rhia I found myself watching her constantly for the first couple of weeks and any time I saw a sign that she needed we were outside - it helped that there was lots of rain at this time so along with not liking getting wet she learned that as soon as she done a wee or a poo we went back indoors. Rhia now jumps up and rattles the keys in the back door to let us know she needs to go - which means that we have to always remember to leave the keys in the door.
lauren19
lauren19

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rhia

Back to top Go down

Post by JoNaThAn Wed Aug 10 2011, 13:17

disinfect the house put some news papper where you wont it to do it after eating or drinking 10-15min later take out
smaking the dog after you find it is not correct it could be peeing from fear as when someone walks past or yells loud bangs from tv radio etc.its in its nature to leave its sent were it lives thats just nature and if your smaking and shouting that could take you to a next leavel of trouble.are you trainning it for special needs to live in a closed piece of kitchen these dogs need not alot but thats smaller than my dog kennell i hope its getting enough exersize!!!!!!!!!
JoNaThAn
JoNaThAn

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : MADAMAMOISELLE & ZEUS
Dog Gender(s) : 1 female and 1 male
Support total : 3

http://jonath.consta@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down