Polars bad breath

2 posters

Go down

Polars bad breath  Empty Polars bad breath

Post by polarsowner Wed Jul 20 2011, 22:39

My dog seems to have bad breath this has been raised with the vet when we visited and the vet has assured us that her teeth and gums are fine we have been told on a couple of occassions that wet food can cause bad breath and to just feed her on dry food which we have been doing, this did seem to stop the bad breath for a short period but it has come back it is nowhere near as bad but it is still quite bad jut wanted to know if anyone has any ideas as she doesnt like eating the denta stix or anything like that and the only thing aswell is that with the dry food she does not seem to keep her weight on and has lost a little weight since just eating the dry food.
Has anyone any ideas and thankyou in advance

Michael
polarsowner
polarsowner
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Polar
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Polars bad breath  Empty Re: Polars bad breath

Post by janey Wed Jul 20 2011, 22:50

Mines breath ponks in the morning, well anytime after sleep really. Her teeth and gums are also fine and healthy.

My vet has advised me to start cleaning her teeth, although biscuits/chews keep the back teeth clean the canines still get a build up. You can get 'finger brushes + toothpaste', might be worth a try Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by polarsowner Wed Jul 20 2011, 22:58

That was my next move to get a brush and clean them but jut thought i would see if anyone had any other ideas thankyou for the advice would the wet food make a difference to her breath she is on bakers complete dry mix but it just not the same as feeding the wet food as she put on a good amount of weight when we first got her as she was very skinny when we got her as she was a neglected dog but she just seems to have lost a bit since going on to the complete mix stuff
polarsowner
polarsowner

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jul 20 2011, 23:09

Personally I would stay clear of Bakers, it's full of additives that may not be helping her breath and development. Maybe try a more natural food with more nutrients. Mines on James Wellbeloved and is thriving.

All dogs growth is different. A good quality wet food is great, but doesn't help there gums/teeth which may cause bad breath.

If Polar has been neglected then I would say time, a good diet, lots of exersize and she will be a happy girl. What you put in, nutrients and effort, you'll get out Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by polarsowner Wed Jul 20 2011, 23:34

So best is to stick with the dry food then I always thought bakers was a good food but I suppose thats the power of advertising I just recently went out and bought a 15 kilo bag of it so I think maybe best to run the rest of that and start looking for another food to try her on.
Thankyou very much for the advice on that will have to see if we can record the progress with pics again as that's what we did when she was under weight when we got her
Thankyou
Michael
polarsowner
polarsowner

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 23:39

No bakers isn't a good food, you could stick with a good quality dry food or perhaps look into raw feeding instead

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jul 20 2011, 23:46

Definatly record Polars progress, all I can say is that it does take time and effort but it is so rewarding, which I'm guessing you have already learnt.

Feed your dog what suits them, and also what you can afford. A lot here feed raw, which is cheaper than you would have thought, but it just doesn't suit all.

If you remain on dry then try James wellbeloved, Moo also gets tinned fish, and plenty of chews.

If she was malnourished before you got her it will probably be why her breath smells Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 11:17

polarsowner wrote:she is on bakers complete dry mix but it just not the same as feeding the wet food as she put on a good amount of weight when we first got her as she was very skinny when we got her as she was a neglected dog but she just seems to have lost a bit since going on to the complete mix stuff

By all means finish off the bag (it's a waste otherwise!) but I'd get her off Bakers as soon as poss! It's full of colours/flavours/scents that can react badly with a lot of dogs. They're there purely for humans, to make the food look 'nicer'. Dogs couldn't give a monkey's what food looks like!

janey wrote:
Feed your dog what suits them, and also what you can afford. A lot here feed raw, which is cheaper than you would have thought, but it just doesn't suit all.

If she was malnourished before you got her it will probably be why her breath smells Xx

I agree with both points there. By all means have a look into raw feeding if you want, but it doesn't suit everyone. And even humans who have been malnourished get smelly breath! I don't know the technical reason for it, but it does happen. Also, anxiety can cause bad breath. As she gets fitter, happier & more settled the smell may decrease.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down