Contemplating allowing our puppy to sleep with us!

+8
sontatollari
bobroberts
janey
Aniemother
laineybell
johneva
giblet
claire
12 posters

Go down

Contemplating allowing our puppy to sleep with us! Empty Contemplating allowing our puppy to sleep with us!

Post by claire Wed Jul 20 2011, 13:41

Hi everyone
I know this is a hard one but our Winnie (8 months) sleeps very nicely in the kitchen in her crate (with the door left open) at night. Obviously, though, she would much rather be with us at night and when we put her to bed she looks so sad and sometimes even hides under the table. My hubby is beginning to weaken and would love her to sleep in our bedroom with us. But would we be starting something we might regret!!! I feel that even if we were to bring her bed up to our room, she probably would never sleep in it and would end up on our bed. Just wondered what your thoughts were!

claire
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Contemplating allowing our puppy to sleep with us! Empty Re: Contemplating allowing our puppy to sleep with us!

Post by giblet Wed Jul 20 2011, 13:44

it all depends on what you want i always think that they become more and more dependent on company the more there with you
giblet
giblet
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Contemplating allowing our puppy to sleep with us! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : harley
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Contemplating allowing our puppy to sleep with us! Empty Re: Contemplating allowing our puppy to sleep with us!

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 13:45

We sleep with Suki. We kept her in a crate for about 10-12 days when we first adopted her. We think of her as part of the family and also have a huge bed so there are no problems. It's always a personal choice but if they are are house trained I don't see a problem with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Wed Jul 20 2011, 14:05

We started off not allowing Molly upstairs at all, but we do now allow her to sleep in her own bed in the bedroom, though thanks to her snoring do regret letting her do this.

Infact as she has been sleeping upstairs in her own bed for such a short period of time she will be going back downstairs when we get Duke in another couple of weeks.

They both wont be allowed upstairs at all again, atleast for another 6 months or so till Duke is old enough to be roaming up and down stairs (Only when allowed).

johneva
johneva
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 14:06

I started off with harv sleeping in his crate until he could hold it through the night and then he was allowed to sleep on our bed with us and he has ever since Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by claire Wed Jul 20 2011, 14:08

thanks guys

claire

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 14:10

billy slept in his cage till he was house trained, but now he sleeps in his own bed in the living rom with the door closed

we tried him in our bedroom - it was hell, wriggled and wriggled and he snored for England

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by claire Wed Jul 20 2011, 14:15

Yes, winnie tends to snore and break wind so perhaps she might be better off staying downstairs!

claire

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 14:16

claire wrote:Yes, winnie tends to snore and break wind so perhaps she might be better off staying downstairs!

Laughing

definately - billy is fine downstairs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 14:35

Woody has always slept downstairs in his crate - id have no house left by now. but i softened a few weeks ago and was feeling maudlin and thought oh i'll take him up to bed with me. little blighter didnt want to stay with me and as soon as i opened the bedroom door he fled back downstairs to his crate so decision made i think!

Back to top Go down

Post by laineybell Wed Jul 20 2011, 14:37

if u have the dog on the bed, wht happens wen ur OH fancies a bit of the other?!!!!
laineybell
laineybell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jemma
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by claire Wed Jul 20 2011, 14:38

precisely!!!!

claire

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 14:42

elaine

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by laineybell Wed Jul 20 2011, 14:44

lol im jus wunderin!! i wudnt b able to do it with Jem watchin thts for sure!!!!! Jem isnt allowed upstairs ne ways.
laineybell
laineybell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jemma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 15:03

Our dogs arnt allowed upstairs, Kaos sleeps in his crate and Ty sleeps in the hallway in his bed. No way would i have my 2 lumps on my bed lol. If u want pup on your bed thats fine but remember she will get big! Personally i wouldnt start it at all, but its obviously up 2 u x

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Wed Jul 20 2011, 15:48

If you want to I see no problem with it, she can sleep in her own bed or in your bed depending on what you want. Growing up our dogs (Irish and Airedale terriers) always slept in their own bed in my parents bedroom. They knew not to get into the big bed (or any other beds) without any issues. I don't have any dogs in the bedroom now, as my boyfriend is a very light sleeper and probably wouldn't want them there anyways. I used to have all three (2 pugs and 1 whippet) in bed, but to be honest the whippet drove me nuts. He was all legs, so I started letting him and Coco (pug) sleep together in the living room and Bajas was the only one left with "bed privileges", however when I worked nights (a night or two per month) they all got to come sleep in my bed with me when I got home. They always knew, and when I got home early in the morning they all went for the bedroom. Laughing Then I moved and got a bed on the loft where I didn't dare Bajas sleep, so he went back to sleeping on his own and now we've moved again and he sleeps downstairs with Gummi (G is crated)..

Basically - you can do pretty much anything, and as long as you have a little patience you can teach them any sleeping routine you want, and if it turns out not to work or your situation changes they can learn a new one.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 16:01

Charlie either sleeps dowstairs in his crate, or more recently the sofa, or he sleeps on his bed next to our bed.

He is happy wherever he sleeps, but he does prefer to sleep in our room. It's fine most of the time, but I am a very light sleeper and his snoring is a nightmare and he wakes me up by jumping on the bed and trying to snuggle up to me. All this while I'm also getting up and down at night with my twins can be a bit of a pain sometimes so I do sometimes make him sleep downstairs, and he's fine with it, never whines or causes any problems with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 21:27

when we first had vinnie he slept in my mom's room in his bed, he slept perfectly fine not once jumping on there bed (altho' tbh he'd have job when he first came at 11wks he couldnt jump on the setea let alone her bed lol)
When we first had skye she slept in my room in her crate (she was a moaner! she'd moan at 2am 4am and 7am but as she got older she started to grow out of it.
About a month ago we decided to moved them both into the kitchen to sleep as they would have each other's company etc .. they sleep like babys next to each other at night .. we think skye would moan at night because she couldnt see vinnie ... now .. not a whimper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 21:33

Bandit used to sleep on our bed. The only problem was that when we were asleep, he'd stretch & we'd move to each sode of the bed. Obviously, being asleep, we didn't realise - it was just an instinctive reaction to being pushed. But every time we woke up, Bandit was stretched out in the middle of the bed & we had about 6" at each side!

Dempsey doesn't sleep on the bed (although he'd like to) cause he's just too darn big!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jul 20 2011, 21:36

Everyones own preference really. Moo's on my bed now, and I'm on the sofa, we'll probably switch at some point! When I first got her she was only allowed on the floor, that soon changed, also the joys of living on your own though, Laughing
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 21:42

janey wrote:Everyones own preference really. Moo's on my bed now, and I'm on the sofa, we'll probably switch at some point! When I first got her she was only allowed on the floor, that soon changed, also the joys of living on your own though, Laughing

Seriously????! Moo sleeps on your bed and you sleep on the sofa??? Ha ha ha ha ha! Moo has got you sussed Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jul 20 2011, 22:02

Shontelle, you haven't seen my sofa cloud9
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 22:09

But still, you sleep on the sofa and Moo sleeps on your bed!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jul 20 2011, 22:13

Laughing I seem to fall asleep on the sofa most nights, she gets moved over at about 3am when I wake up! Smile Sensiable girl Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 22:32

If that was Charlie, he'd try to sleep on the sofa with me then join me on my bed when I got sick of pushing him off he sofa!!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobroberts Thu Jul 21 2011, 00:21

We let ours sleep in our room on her bed. She would also jump onto our bed anytime she wanted. Bad mistake, We would have to change the sheets quite often because she would stain our bed. Sometimes she snored more then others but for the most part it didn't bother us.
bobroberts
bobroberts
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mugsy

Back to top Go down

Post by sontatollari Thu Jul 21 2011, 12:51

Our six dogs all sleep in our bed. If I could do it all over again I'd probably teach them to sleep in crates.
sontatollari
sontatollari

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Staffies Sergei & Evie + Staffy cross Bella + Bostons Mini, Earl & Kale (R.I.P. beloved Samson & Freja)
Dog(s) Ages : 2003-2011
Dog Gender(s) : Both

http://www.staffyhq.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jessnmacy Thu Jul 21 2011, 12:55

Macy sleeps under our duvet! Kinda regret it now as she takes up most of the bed!! Smile
jessnmacy
jessnmacy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 14:37

sontatollari wrote:Our six dogs all sleep in our bed. If I could do it all over again I'd probably teach them to sleep in crates.

That must be a big bed Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by scott61985 Thu Jul 21 2011, 17:16

me and the g.f use to have blade in bed with us when we got him never again in my eyes he got to use to been with us and we had a lot of trouble with him when we left him. since he was 6 month old his been downstairs 1st couple of nights was bad but since then no problems. our new dog zena never sleeps up in bed i wont let her so she sleeps with blade on sofa. its all up to you but staffys do get quite attached
scott61985
scott61985

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : blade and zena
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by scott61985 Thu Jul 21 2011, 17:17

ive had my back ripped to bits my puppy claws lol
scott61985
scott61985

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : blade and zena
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Thu Jul 21 2011, 22:10

I have kaiser in the room with us and he sleeps in his own bed in winter he will get in the bed in the mornings when he gets a bit chilly it all depends on you and what you want but i coudnt leave him downstairs now
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by buster2011 Fri Jul 22 2011, 12:09

we never have buster in the bedroom he has the other bit of the flat
buster2011
buster2011
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Contemplating allowing our puppy to sleep with us! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : buster

Back to top Go down

Post by sontatollari Fri Jul 22 2011, 14:42

ella wrote:
sontatollari wrote:Our six dogs all sleep in our bed. If I could do it all over again I'd probably teach them to sleep in crates.

That must be a big bed Laughing

It's huge at 210 cm wide, but still nowhere near huge enough. I usually end up clinging to the very edge for dear life whilst the dogs are stretched out on their backs, larging it hypnotised Luckily three of them are Bostons, so a bit smaller than the Staffies. I'm contemplating getting a crate for myself Laughing
sontatollari
sontatollari

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Staffies Sergei & Evie + Staffy cross Bella + Bostons Mini, Earl & Kale (R.I.P. beloved Samson & Freja)
Dog(s) Ages : 2003-2011
Dog Gender(s) : Both

http://www.staffyhq.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down