How much is too much?

2 posters

Go down

How much is too much? Empty How much is too much?

Post by Nikkilou Wed Apr 28 2021, 14:59

Hi all.

I've been trying and failing to find out how much exercise is too much for my staffy. He is a long legged staffy which I've been told he probably crossed with pit. I'm not sure of his parents as I rescued him from an ex any ways back to what I'm trying to find out...
Im trying to find out how much exercise is too much. Every where I've looked just keeps telling me he needs at least an hour (ha ha ha yeah right) a day but no where does it tell me what's too much. I'm pretty active with him. 2 to 3 hours walking every day. We go running (5-6 miles) twice a week but on running days we just have a short walk in the afternoon first. Sometimes when we have been for our runs the day after he is quite lethargic and I'm just worried I'm over working him.
He is still young (2yrs) and weighs around 20kg. He is slim build but solid. Am I over working him?

Nikki
Nikkilou
Nikkilou
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Your Country : Australia
Dogs Name(s) : Archer
Dog(s) Ages : 2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

How much is too much? Empty Re: How much is too much?

Post by Jenc Wed Apr 28 2021, 20:59

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

How much is too much? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

How much is too much? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

How much is too much? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
How much is too much? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
How much is too much? Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
How much is too much? Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
How much is too much? Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

How much is too much? B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Wed Apr 28 2021, 21:06

Hi Nikki from me & Katy Smile Welcome to our forum. He's a good looking boy Love Struck I would say 2-3hrs walk is just about right but maybe the distance you are running is too much for him thinking Katy will be 9 this year & has 1/2hr lead walk in the morning & about 1hr 1/2 off lead in the afternoon but she has arthritis in her knee. Maybe reduce the running distance down a bit & see how he is after.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

How much is too much? B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikkilou Thu Apr 29 2021, 10:25

Thankyou will try that. Ive been trying to find info about it and most people I've asked in person have all said the same thing... A staffy will go all day and still come back for more. Which in his case is true but then the next day he doesn't seam to be as full on as he usually is. This is the first staffy I've had. I had a mastiff before and with her it was just an hour or so a day but once a week we used to have a trip out somewhere and have a few hours and she was more than happy with that. I did a fair bit of research about staffies about diet, training, care, health conditions but nowhere does it say about too much exercise. It tell you they symptoms of an over worked dog.
Nikkilou
Nikkilou

Status Status :

Female
Your Country : Australia
Dogs Name(s) : Archer
Dog(s) Ages : 2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum