Early days - the first two weeks in a new home

4 posters

Go down

Early days - the first two weeks in a new home Empty Early days - the first two weeks in a new home

Post by Juliana Wed Nov 11 2020, 11:58

Hey guys!

My partner, Tom, and I just brought home our little 8 week old pup - Zola - two days ago. Being new puppy parents we've read up on heaps of good information online about toilet training, contact training, instilling good sleep habits etc. But of course there is no such thing as perfect preperation for another living being and certain questions became apparent only once she came home with us, for instance: many sites talk about training, but also about not starting before 10-16 weeks of age, so, what do most people do during those first weeks?

We have a balcony, and a designated pee spot out there, but it's getting cold outside (Norway in Nov) and can be noisy and given her young age and new environment she understandably does not like it much out there yet. We also have a pee-pad inside where she usually goes, and she's already become quite good at using that spot. But when she does, we are now a little unsure of whether its best to give praise for using the pad, or persist in bringing her outside regardless, like we do if she goes anywhere else or if we see her getting ready to poo. Bringing outside when she uses the pad feels a littlebit like punishment as she gets so tense and frightened.

Any tips on this very special time for first-time parents who want to instill good patterns from early, but also don't want to foster any negative associations - and mostly want her to feel at home as soon as possible?

Thanks so much!
Juliana
Juliana
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Early days - the first two weeks in a new home Empty Re: Early days - the first two weeks in a new home

Post by gillybrent Wed Nov 11 2020, 18:01

Hi there & welcome.

Training starts from day one - obviously reward based & just a little at a time; sit, down, paw, stay, come etc. Just 5 minutes, two or three times a day will be fine!

With the toilet training, does she go on the balcony at any other time? Are there bars she can see through?

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Early days - the first two weeks in a new home Empty Re: Early days - the first two weeks in a new home

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Nov 11 2020, 19:07

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Early days - the first two weeks in a new home Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Early days - the first two weeks in a new home Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Early days - the first two weeks in a new home Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Early days - the first two weeks in a new home Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Early days - the first two weeks in a new home Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Early days - the first two weeks in a new home Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Early days - the first two weeks in a new home Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Early days - the first two weeks in a new home B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Nov 11 2020, 19:23

Hello, welcome and congratulations on your new family member Big Grin

Everything in Zola’s new environment with you is training. New noises, new routine, etc. As gilly says, basics first to have a solid foundation to build on. Reacting when you call her name, her coming to you when you call, this is all early training.

As to pee pads and toilet training, realistically your puppy will not be able to hold 4-5 hours until about 6 months old.
My personal thought and experience is that I encouraged my girls to use the pad when I was absent (at work, for example) and then extra encouragement and praise when she went outside when we were home.
I found that my girls would use the pad less and less so I was able to remove it at around 6 months, from memory.
I would rather have a pup always pee on the pad than anywhere they can - hygiene if nothing else.

Toilet training in winter is no fun, Opium arrived at the beginning of December and we had snow at the end of January.
Again, as gilly suggests, try to put screen in front of bars on the balcony so that doesn’t frighten her. For the noise, she’ll get used to it.
Make sure you’re ready with heavy praise and treat every time she goes to toilet outside. And you need to add your “command” which will be very useful for her whole life !

I would continue to take her out on the balcony every half an hour. You’ll get to know her and her habits to anticipate times she’s more likely to go like after waking up, just after eating, etc. If you see her going towards her pad, scoop her up and take to balcony but if she’s already in progress, praise anyway. You’ll need to anticipate better the next time. Smile

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliana Thu Nov 12 2020, 15:11

Thanks guys - it may be all the extra oxytocin coarsing through me at the moment, but this forum is such a warm place. Smile

We'll just go forward with the routines then, and start adding "commands" as well - hadn't thought to do that yet.

Gilly, she actually does not. She really doesn't like it out there so we only brought her out at first to poo or after a pee. Now we're bringing her out a little more consistently and it's starting to work! Half the balcony wall is well covered, the other half is bars which we covered at the bottom with planks, but are you suggesting it may be the hight that frightens her? Is it an idea to cover more so she doesn't see that she's high up?

Luckily she's taken to our little "walks" and enjoys the outside a lot more when we go across the street and "explore", despite the cold! Smile

Do you have any tips on clever little hacks for intentional name training and coming when you call? Or is this just something she'll learn organically through repetition and love? She's already become a little responsive to her name. Smile
Juliana
Juliana

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu Nov 12 2020, 17:21

Name training involves constant use of name with a treat when she responds,even if it's just a quick look!

I would cover all the bars - it isn't exactly a fear of height so much as a fear of the unknown. Once settled you can gradually take away the covers.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Fri Nov 13 2020, 08:05

Hi from me & Katy Smile Zola looks like a real cutie Love Struck
Great advice already given, keep any training sessions short & be consistent with how you do it. Staffies are very intelligent & love to learn but will push the boundaries when they can Rolling Eyes

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down