Nails discoloured at the base in front paws

5 posters

Go down

Nails discoloured at the base in front paws Empty Nails discoloured at the base in front paws

Post by lunathestaffy Wed Apr 29 2020, 14:09

Nails discoloured at the base in front paws 17ed7210
Nails discoloured at the base in front paws 76d6d210
Nails discoloured at the base in front paws 9a365c10

Far last few days Luna’s front nails look weird. It looks like there is blood on the inside of the nail or something? Just like a reddish brown color on the base of white nails on her front paw. The back paws are completely normal.

Anyone have any idea what to do? I read that it could be an infection, if so would it be possible to treat that at home with supplies from pet store or will I need to take her vet ASAP??

lunathestaffy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 23

Back to top Go down

Nails discoloured at the base in front paws Empty Re: Nails discoloured at the base in front paws

Post by KITA90 Wed Apr 29 2020, 19:43

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but they look completely normal. My boy has 2 white paws that started off with beautiful pure white nails but as he got older they're now a mix of weird and wonderful colours.

Nails have a blood vessel and nerve running through them and can be seen prominently on white nails.

I'm pretty sure this is nothing to worry about Smile
KITA90
KITA90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Shéara & Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : Sheara 9, Mollie 8
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 81

Back to top Go down

Nails discoloured at the base in front paws Empty Re: Nails discoloured at the base in front paws

Post by Jenc Wed Apr 29 2020, 20:45

They look fine to me tbh although I'm no expert Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Nails discoloured at the base in front paws B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by lunathestaffy Thu Apr 30 2020, 07:52

Nails discoloured at the base in front paws 6e3eed10

So you wouldn’t say they look a bit like that?? That’s the only reason I got worried because she does ack like her feet are itchy she bites her back paws, although it’s only her left front paw that has this new reddish color appearing.

I have rang the vet but she said to just email them the pictures and someone will get back to me soon as even if it is a yeast infection then it’s not an emergency and she thinks they can probably just help by prescribing a cream and antibiotics.. have to wait untill the vet gets around to the email and has a look though.

lunathestaffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Thu Apr 30 2020, 09:39

That pic is quite dramatic compared to lunas mind. Chewing feet can be a sign of allergies. Have you tried her with a piriton to see if that eases her agitation? Cant be related if this discoloration is in her front paw and shes chewing the back paws.

See what the vet says but l think she will be just fine x

KITA90
KITA90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lunathestaffy Fri May 08 2020, 10:24

The vet said that she’s a bit young to get a yeast infection if she’s kept indoors. She thinks it could be caused by dog dandruff and just gave me a shampoo to use she said to just see if that helps over next few weeks and come back if it doesn’t so just a wait and see process here really 🙄

lunathestaffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat May 09 2020, 07:11

Interesting read.
I presume the shampoo is for the whole body and not just the paws ?

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Nails discoloured at the base in front paws B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by lunathestaffy Sat May 09 2020, 16:24

Yeah it’s for the whole body but she said I shouldn’t wash her more than once a month so to just make up a foot bath for her 2-3 times a week and let her feet soak in it for 10 minutes. Which is very hard because Luna doesn’t like the bath and doesn’t understand why she has to stand in soapy water up to her ankles 😂

lunathestaffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Mon May 11 2020, 19:30

Not heard this one before, keep us posted with how she gets on. Intrigued how a 'dandruff shampoo' will help her nails nerd
KITA90
KITA90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lunathestaffy Mon May 11 2020, 20:16

I’ve very mixed feelings about it tbh. The vet based her conclusion on the pictures of the paws, her pads mainly. The pad that’s above her actual paw like the “spare” pad has really cracked and dead skin and so do her other front pads so the vet said that if she has really dry pads and she keeps scratching her feet and other parts of her that it could be over dandruff. She said that since she’s young I wouldn’t see much actual dandruff same as a child might not have much but when the child grows up it has dandruff or something like that.

Im not sure what to think of that but going to give it a try, the vet said that if it is dandruff giving her “paw batch’s” and a not frequent normal bath with the shampoo then it should ease down after 3ish weeks.

Not sure if u saw my post about her eye, she has a little patch on her eyelid that is a bit bald, she keeps scratching her neck and that side of her face and the bald patch has dry skin of it that does resemble dandruff a small bit so maybe the vet is right. Going to give it a try anyway and if she’s the same in the next week gonna have to go vets

lunathestaffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Tue May 12 2020, 07:17

Only just seen this.

To be honest, the last pic looks perfectly normal, but the first two look like her claws are a bit too long. If that's the case then evey time she puts her feet down she puts strain on the base of the nail & the base 'bruises'.

Can you file her claws down a bit as well as the baths?

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Tue May 12 2020, 08:38

Ah no sorry i missed the post about her eye. And i didn't realise she had cracked pads as well. You can only try the foot baths and see how she gets on. You can get pad balm as well from the likes of PAH, migth be worth a shout Smile x
KITA90
KITA90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lunathestaffy Tue May 12 2020, 08:46

We have a balm for her pads but she just sits there trying to lick as much of it off as she can 😂 anything is food in her eyes 🙄

Yes Gilly, I know her nails on that paw are a bit longer than the others but they are actually filed down to the quick, the vet says that if I keep filing them down every day or two to make sure they are always cut to the quick then it should retract a bit And I’ll be able to cut them shorter then. When she’s standing up though the nails are berly touching the floor, they’re not hurting her in any way.

lunathestaffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Tue May 12 2020, 08:51

Could you put some little socks on her with the balm maybe?

Who am I kidding, she's a puppy, they'll be off in seconds! Blushing
KITA90
KITA90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lunathestaffy Tue May 12 2020, 18:21

Yeah you said it, socks would come off in a matter of seconds 😂😂 I’m just trying to use the balm whenever she’s resting on me or beside me, in like her personal beautician sitting beside her massaging her paws 😂

lunathestaffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Tue May 12 2020, 18:59

Aww spoilt pooch!! Your more than her beautician now... you a feeder, Walker, groomer, dog poo pickerupperer, play mate, partner in crime, pillow, the list is endless Rolling Eyes I dont want to s
KITA90
KITA90

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down