New Staffy Puppy Owner - HELP!

5 posters

Go down

Crying New Staffy Puppy Owner - HELP!

Post by AdelaideStaffy Thu Apr 16 2020, 04:57

Hello everyone

We got our English Staffy when she was 8 weeks old. She is now aged 7 and 1/2 months.

I am having trouble and needing advice on how to approach it. I spend quite a bit of time with her but the issues I'm having:

1. she bites quite hard
2. she has an obsession with shoelaces and once grabs onto them, can also make you trip over
3. she jumps and knocks you over
4. she pulls so hard on walks that I'm worried she will strangle herself.

It is the first time we've owned a Staffy. We didn't encounter these problems with previous dogs so I'm hoping someone here can provide us with some advice.

Thank you

AdelaideStaffy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: New Staffy Puppy Owner - HELP!

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Apr 16 2020, 05:10

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

New Staffy Puppy Owner - HELP! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

New Staffy Puppy Owner - HELP! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

New Staffy Puppy Owner - HELP! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
New Staffy Puppy Owner - HELP! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
New Staffy Puppy Owner - HELP! Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
New Staffy Puppy Owner - HELP! Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
New Staffy Puppy Owner - HELP! Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

New Staffy Puppy Owner - HELP! B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Apr 16 2020, 05:51

Hello and welcome.
Congratulations on your new family member, they do change the family equilibrium don’t they ! Smile
I don’t know what other breed you’ve already had but staffies can be rather “rough and tumble” in their natural state, without meaning any offense.

To try to give ideas to your questions :

1. When and in what situation is she biting hard ? During play time or randomly to attract attention ? When she gets all excited when greeting you, for example ?
My Opium gets very excitable and then looks for something to bite onto - clothes/sleeves, arms, hands ... I put a hand on either side of her and when she bites to one side, I lightly pinch on her opposite side to sway her attention. I have also taught the STOP command which basically means “freeze, don’t move”. This gives a few seconds to distract her attention to ask for something else.
The aim is never to punish but always to look for a positive action. Therefore I can ask her to sit, or stay, or fetch a toy, etc. She then forgets her biting. But this depends on the reason and situation of your girl’s biting.

2. Shoelace obsession needs the use of a firm NO and then giving a substitute. Again, you can ask her to fetch a rope toy instead or to lie and stay. Often these obsessions are a way for her to attract your attention and create play with you - fun all the way.

3. Jumping is a definite no-no. It’s not nice for humans to have 20kgs of muscle catapulted onto them and for puppies, it’s not doing any good to their joints to be jumping. You need to be firm with the NO, eventually turn if she’s always jumping up in front of you. Never try to knock her down as that’s the start of a great game. Jumping is often during overexcitement so yet again, the Stop command can give you a few seconds break to ask something else. Training the Sit command in these situations can be helpful - you’ll have 4 paws and her butt on the ground  Laughing

4. My immediate thought would be to switch to a harness, I don’t like strangled dogs pulling on their collar as it does so much damage to their necks. Once you’ve trained manners in a harness, you can move back to collar.
I recommend a harness which runs a Y over the chest and between the front legs. I use Ruffwear front range harnesses but there are lots of cheaper and/or colourful alternatives on amazon and the likes.
For your pulling problem, you need to get her attention back to you and “retake the lead”. Most simple way to do this is each time she overtakes your leg, briskly change direction (180 degrees is best). Suddenly she’ll find herself behind you and wonder where you’re going. Don’t be tempted to pull her around but you might just need to “block” her movement in her direction to show her you’ve changed direction. Each time she follows you and is at your side, lots and lots of praise. She’ll soon find watching where you’re going more interesting then pulling ahead.
In the harness, you can also add a second lead to the ring on the front of the harness. You use this lead to stop the pulling movement to the front by unstabilizing the shoulders, rather than pulling on the neck.

There are common points in all of your 4 situations. You need to make sure you have absolute consistency in what you ask, how you ask and there can never be enough praise/reward. That it be a treat, giving the favourite toy, a good patting. Don’t hesitate to exaggerate so there’s no ambiguity between good and bad.
You also need to ensure that all family members abide to the same rules. It’s not fair for you to ask her to stop jumping if your OH allows/encourages it.
Despite what you might read, staffies are very intelligent and do understand quickly but whereas some breeds of working dog will blindly execute, a staffy will question what you ask  Wink
Be consistent and you will see results quicker than you think.

What is you girl’s name ?
Any chance of a photo, even if just in your avatar ?

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Thu Apr 16 2020, 08:12

Hi from me & Katy Smile Congratulations on your new family member, great choice of breed Love Struck  I admit when we got Katy it was like living with a tasmanian devil Surprised
Nifty has given great advice & tips. Consistency in her training & regular routine is needed from the whole family.
Plenty of links on here to look through regarding training. But ask any question & we will help.
Oh & lots of photos welcome here Love Struck

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Crying Don't panic!

Post by essjess Fri May 01 2020, 15:59

Ah yeah my boy is ten months now and he hasn't done these specific things exactly, but I totally hear where you're coming from: they're just big balls of enthusiasm with no boundaries at this age aren't they?!

He definitely got very pully a couple of months ago, and I got some great advice and we're making (slow) progress, so here's what helped us:

Use just one word or phrase- our is "YES!"- when pup does what you've asked. We also use a clicker, and a really tasty treat- he loves chicken and fridge raiders. We're all veggie in my house so daft as it sounds we hadn't given him these things before, but finding things that he goes wild for has really helped motivate him.

So if he's pulling in a random direction on a walk, I say "this way", then as soon as he's trotting along next to me again it's "yes", click, treat. We will drop the treat as advised once he's a bit further along, but I just have to show him the clicker sometimes and he falls in next to me. Magic! It's changed walks for us. And if he's pulling ahead I just stop dead until he's eased off and looks back for me.

Hope some of this is helpful, hang in there! x
essjess
essjess
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Sat May 02 2020, 09:36

Hey! Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new addition!

Nifty has given great advice, its all about patience and persistence, it's super important you all play by the same rules so your girl doesn't get confused about what's expected from her x

KITA90
KITA90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Shéara & Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : Sheara 9, Mollie 8
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down