+2
slatham80
Eclipse
6 posters

Go down

Dog Collar or Harness ?

Post by Eclipse Thu Jan 09 2020, 09:29

Hi All.

My Girl had her for first Vaccination yesterday and will get the 2nd one in two weeks along with her Chip,
so will be able to go out in to the big wide world soon.
I use a Mobility Scooter to get around on so will need to train Shey to walk ahead of me or get on the Scooter
with me as and when needed.
So I am looking for any help and advice for this and also which would be better to use a Harness or Collar ?
I don't like the big ugly leather Harness's (shes my princess not a status symbol)
so if she needs one it has to be comfortable, pink and cute Love Struck

Eclipse
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dog Re: Collar or Harness ?

Post by slatham80 Thu Jan 09 2020, 09:59

We used a collar when Betty was a pup. As she got older and stronger we moved to a harness to stop her choking herself when pulling! The issue with the harness is they can use all of their strength to pull you along. If you're on a heavy scooter I suppose that won't be an issue, though. When choosing a harness we've found the Staffy shape to be an issue - especially choosing a size. You two will have to go shopping and try some on!

slatham80
slatham80
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Betty
Support total : 10

https://betty.website

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Jan 09 2020, 10:39

Definitely use a harness but not the Juliusz type which are not recommended by physiotherapist.
I use the ruffwear front range harnesses (also available in pink Wink  ), size XS for a puppy and my adult girls wear size S (Nifty is a chunky build weighing almost 20 kgs).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruffwear-All-Day-Front-Range-Harness/dp/B01MZ9DH3J/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Ruffwear+front+range&qid=1578566115&refinements=p_n_srvg_1642288031%3A511777031&rnid=1642288031&sr=8-1

Pulling is a question of training and education but you can clip a second lead to the front attachment on the harness if she pulls too much.

This is a cheaper alternative but has the added advantage of a handle on the back, if you need to pick her up or help her up onto your scooter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kismaple-Adjustable-Refletive-Harness-Training/dp/B078N25SVQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2JV2B4RI9MNLB&keywords=rabbitgoo+harness+for+dogs&qid=1578566165&refinements=p_n_srvg_1642288031%3A511777031&rnid=1642288031&sprefix=Rabbitgoo+harness%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQkRIWE9aQUtaVUVUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTQ2Mjk0TTROVTQzUEg5NFM4JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTEwMDk5NTgzMDhERUUyTURVMUM5JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Last edited by Nifty staffy on Thu Jan 09 2020, 15:19; edited 2 times in total

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Collar or Harness ? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Jan 09 2020, 10:47

Dogs can slip out of their collars relatively easily, much harder from a well fitting harness.
Shey will have plenty of time to wear pretty collars when she’s older Wink

Collar or Harness ? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu Jan 09 2020, 19:25

For your situation, definitely a harness.

I wouldn't dismiss the Julius K9 harness (they're very good) but would suggest the Ruffwear would be more suitable.

However, no harness or collar will stop a dog pulling, or train a dog to walk with a mobility scooter! You will need to do some training whichever you choose.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Jan 09 2020, 21:42

As to the other part of your question regarding training Shey around your mobility scooter, maybe you can start off making the most of her being small and light to install her comfortably and safely in the basket to take a few rides ?

When you say that she should get onto the scooter with you, where would her place be ? Near your feet ? On your lap ? In the basket ? Etc.
One thing that might be tricky is getting her to walk around the scooter without getting caught under a wheel.
How mobile are you on your own 2 feet, so to speak ? To see how much training you can do on foot before moving onto the scooter.

Collar or Harness ? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eclipse Sat Jan 11 2020, 21:36

slatham80 wrote:We used a collar when Betty was a pup.  As she got older and stronger we moved to a harness to stop her choking herself when pulling!  The issue with the harness is they can use all of their strength to pull you along.  If you're on a heavy scooter I suppose that won't be an issue, though.  When choosing a harness we've found the Staffy shape to be an issue - especially choosing a size.  You two will have to go shopping and try some on!
I should be okay if the battery goes flat in my Scooter then  Big Grin

Nifty staffy wrote:Definitely use a harness but not the Juliusz type which are not recommended by physiotherapist.
I use the ruffwear front range harnesses (also available in pink Wink  ), size XS for a puppy and my adult girls wear size S (Nifty is a chunky build weighing almost 20 kgs).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruffwear-All-Day-Front-Range-Harness/dp/B01MZ9DH3J/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Ruffwear+front+range&qid=1578566115&refinements=p_n_srvg_1642288031%3A511777031&rnid=1642288031&sr=8-1

Pulling is a question of training and education but you can clip a second lead to the front attachment on the harness if she pulls too much.

This is a cheaper alternative but has the added advantage of a handle on the back, if you need to pick her up or help her up onto your scooter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kismaple-Adjustable-Refletive-Harness-Training/dp/B078N25SVQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2JV2B4RI9MNLB&keywords=rabbitgoo+harness+for+dogs&qid=1578566165&refinements=p_n_srvg_1642288031%3A511777031&rnid=1642288031&sprefix=Rabbitgoo+harness%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQkRIWE9aQUtaVUVUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTQ2Mjk0TTROVTQzUEg5NFM4JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTEwMDk5NTgzMDhERUUyTURVMUM5JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
I like the padding on the Ruffwear Harness but think the Handle on the Kismaple could be really useful,
I am going to wait a couple of weeks until she is ready to go out then measure her for a Harness as at the moment she seems to be getting bigger each day lol

Nifty staffy wrote:Dogs can slip out of their collars relatively easily, much harder from a well fitting harness.
Shey will have plenty of time to wear pretty collars when she’s older Wink
I guess there's no reason why she cant wear both but only use a lead on one at a time ?

gillybrent wrote:For your situation, definitely a harness.

I wouldn't dismiss the Julius K9 harness (they're very good) but would suggest the Ruffwear would be more suitable.

However, no harness or collar will stop a dog pulling, or train a dog to walk with a mobility scooter! You will need to do some training whichever you choose.
Yeah I realise I have lots of work to do with her before we are even ready to step out in the real world
but my back garden is pretty long and my back gate opens on to an access road for a block of garages
which has very little traffic which is perfect for training and practice.

Nifty staffy wrote:As to the other part of your question regarding training Shey around your mobility scooter, maybe you can start off making the most of her being small and light to install her comfortably and safely in the basket to take a few rides ?

When you say that she should get onto the scooter with you, where would her place be ? Near your feet ? On your lap ? In the basket ? Etc.
One thing that might be tricky is getting her to walk around the scooter without getting caught under a wheel.
How mobile are you on your own 2 feet, so to speak ? To see how much training you can do on foot before moving onto the scooter.
I think the best place for Shey would be inbetween my feet, there should be plenty of room for her there, I think the biggest problem is going to be getting her to stay on there and not jump off willy nilly Surprised

Here is a picture of my Scooter, this is the road my back gate opens out on to so where I will do
most of my training/practicing with her until shes comfortable with it.
(this is pic of my old scooter taken 3 years ago, my current one is identical but red)

Collar or Harness ? Scoot1

Eclipse

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Jan 12 2020, 12:08

You can put your dog ID tags onto the harness so there isn’t a need to wear both collar and harness at the same time.
TBH, I do find it overkill when I exceptionally put both on mine for a short car trip (harness to tie in car and collar at canine club where we work without lead).

For keeping Shey on your scooter by your feet, I have 2 ideas in mind.
At home, teach her to sit/lie on a specific carpet (like a small doormat would probably work) and she cannot leave until you tell her to.
The carpet can then be placed in front of your couch/sofa and you teach her to sit/lie between your feet, facing forwards.
Idea is then to put this carpet/mat onto your scooter so she has her reference place and position.

Then, look if there’s a way to tie a lead, maybe around your seat, so you can clip onto harness to stop her jumping off. The idea is the same as the car seatbelt attachments you tie your dog to in the car to stop them wandering about the car. BUT this tie has to be short and sturdy enough to avoid Shey getting off the scooter, you do NOT want her falling off your scooter and being dragged along Surprised
But you should also have your legs on either side of her to support her.

Collar or Harness ? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun Jan 12 2020, 16:33

The only thing I would say about collar v harness is that the letter of the law states that a dog must have a properly fitting collar with I. D. tags.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/901/article/2/made

Now, I doubt that anyone would worry about you not having a collar & using a harness instead (with I. D. tags), but there's nowt as queer as folk!

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Jan 12 2020, 16:49

Thanks for that gilly, sorry but I wasn’t aware of that curious specification in the law ...

Collar or Harness ? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun Jan 12 2020, 21:41

It's ludicrous, isn't it?

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dog Man Wed May 22 2024, 21:03

So many on here saying a harness is best but can I advise the danger of not wearing a collar should your dog take a lock how do you break the lock Unlwss you carry a breaking stick .i Have had 2 of my own dogs start I was on my own not a pleasant situation And I wore collars

Dog Man

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Rambuddy Fri Aug 30 2024, 07:46

It sounds like you’re getting everything ready for Shey’s big adventures! For training, start with short, positive walks, using treats to reward her for walking ahead or getting on the scooter calmly.

Regarding harnesses vs. collars: A harness is usually better for control and safety, especially if you’re concerned about her pulling or if she’ll be on the scooter. Look for a soft, adjustable harness in a color or design you love—there are plenty of cute and comfortable options out there!

Good luck with Shey’s training and enjoy your walks together!

Rambuddy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down