New staffy compatibility issues?

5 posters

Go down

New staffy compatibility issues? Empty New staffy compatibility issues?

Post by LeoTheNutter Fri Aug 09 2019, 22:05

Hello everyone.
I've always wanted a staffy so recently about 2 months ago I decided to adopt one from a shelter. He's a 1.5 year old, he's quite small 15kgs, I was told and his documents state he's a staffie cross chihuahua. I also have another dog, a shetland sheepdog who loves other dogs and company which is partly why i decided to get another dog. Since getting him I've encountered a few issues that I'd like some insight on if possible?
Firstly the staffy does not seem one bit interested in playing or interacting with my other dog (or any other dog) for that matter. My dog bring him toys and tries to play with him but he just ignores him and looks the other way. I thought it'll get better with time and they'll get closer but it seems to be getting worse as they did play a bit initially. He doesn't pay much attention to other dogs on a walk either, all he LOVES to do is play with a ball. So is this his nature/attitude or? I was told he lived with 4 other dogs and loved company which is the reason I chose him. It doesn't seem that way at all.
Now secondly he has a problem with going outside to pee. It has happened multiple times now were I let them out to relieve themselves and he refuses to go and barges back inside only to pee inside the house 2 mins later. We live on a quiet street so there's no noise or anything to scare him so that's not a reason, it's almost like he's too lazy to go outside. I offer them multiple chances throughout the day to go outside, even then he's soiled my bed about 3 times.
So has anyone else experiences similar issues or has some advice?

LeoTheNutter
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Tyson
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New staffy compatibility issues? Empty Re: New staffy compatibility issues?

Post by Inez Maria Fri Aug 09 2019, 22:17

Hiya and welcome,,,,, I havent had much experience as never had two dogs together. Could it be that its just a settling in thing as sure it will take time for your new boy to adjust. Maybe you could let him out to wee on his own away from your other dog he may find that more settling to begin with and encourage him as much as you can sort of making it fun. And try a treat when he has been I am sure with some patience and time he will be fine as said its probably very daunting for him after being somewhat in solitude in a shelter. I am sure our more experienced members will be here soon and have more suggestions for you. Big Grin

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

New staffy compatibility issues? B110
Inez Maria
Inez Maria
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Fri Aug 09 2019, 23:50

Welcome from Misty and I. Like Inez I've never had two dogs. Could it be that he just doesn't really know how to play. A lady at my dog class has a great little Staffy X and she had to teach him how to play as he had never had any toys previously. Like stated above it can be really daunting to leave a shelter and live in another dogs house. He may just be completely overwhelmed. Id defintely recommend lots of treats and giving him time to adjust.
Do keep us updated as to how he gets on x

Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by LeoTheNutter Sat Aug 10 2019, 02:37

Mistys Mum wrote:Welcome from Misty and I. Like Inez I've never had two dogs.   Could it be that he just doesn't really know how to play. A lady at my dog class has a great little Staffy X and she had to teach him how to play as he had never had any toys previously. Like stated above it can be really daunting to leave a shelter and live in another dogs house. He may just be completely overwhelmed. Id defintely recommend lots of treats and giving him time to adjust.
Do keep us updated as to how he gets on x

Hello to you well. He know how to play with a ball though and there's nothing he loves to do more. When i initially got him, he used to play with Leo as well, over time it's gotten less and less which makes me wonder if this is his real personality. He prefers to sleep most of the day and is only active during walks and meal times. I forgot to add, he was never in a shelter, it was an animal rescue and he was held in a foster home with a family.

LeoTheNutter

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Tyson
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year 8 months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Aug 10 2019, 07:06

Hello and welcome from us.
I have 2 staffies with 17 months age difference and despite being the same breed, they’re very different for most things.

When you say that Tyson likes to play ball, is that running after a tennis ball that you’ve just thrown or playing alone with a boomer ball ?
Does Leo like to play ball too ?
Mine like to play tug with a big cotton rope so might be worth a try if you haven’t already.

For the peeing issue, I echo what has already been suggested above. Take him outside alone and use treats along with your “lively encouraging” voice for praise. I’ve yet to come across a staffy who isn’t greedy so you should have results. This will probably be something you need to do over several months but you’ll get there.
Also make sure you clean the pee areas in the house correctly. I think most pet shops sell specific cleaning products which remove the mark so he doesn’t return to a previous pee spot.

Ultimately Tyson might just be a more solitary soul, or he’s having trouble finding his place in his new home which already belongs to another male, Leo.
Make sure they both get their individual one-to-one time with you.
Does each dog also have their own individual space/retreat in the house ? Mine have their house crate (without door) and their “play pen” to retreat to if/when needed.

I’d love to see what a staffy chihuahua looks like.
Maybe you’d be so kind as to pop into our New Member Introductions section and maybe post a photo of your boys  Smile

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sat Aug 10 2019, 08:58

Hi from me & Katy, well done on giving a rescue a loving forever home Big Grin Sounds like he's taking a while to adjust but with time & patience he will get there. I agree with the others regarding his wee breaks, give it a go & let us know how you get on Smile

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Sat Aug 10 2019, 09:04

As Nifty has mentioned about the wee accidents in house it needs to be cleaned properly as she said as they will just keep returning to same spot but I understand from previous threads on here that Biological washing powder with warm water is good as it breaks down the enzymes alleviating the odor and thus stopping the urge to keep doing in same spot. Do let us know how it goes Smile

Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down