Puppy rash!

3 posters

Go down

Puppy rash! Empty Puppy rash!

Post by sunil989 Tue Aug 07 2018, 15:00

Hi everyone,

My 14 week old puppy has developed a very bad rash on his stomach and his inner legs. He’s had this for a month now and after multiple vet visits it still hasn’t gone! The vets really haven’t been any help with this, they had first gave him a allergy injection which did not help and now gave us a shampoo called Malaseb. We were told to use it every few days and leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse. After using it for a week and a half the rash seems to have got worse and he is constantly itching. It has gone so sore that he has developed spots. He is currently on James Wellbeloved puppy food.

Please could I get some advice!

Thank you

sunil989
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Your Country : Denmark
Dogs Name(s) : Leo
Dog(s) Ages : 3 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy rash! Empty Re: Puppy rash!

Post by Jenc Tue Aug 07 2018, 20:15

Has he been out in long grass? My Katy gets a rash when she has, I give her antihistamine during the summer months.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Puppy rash! B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Wed Aug 08 2018, 09:32

Antihistamine may well help. Piriton (or generic type), but NOT Piriteze - they have different ingredients. One tablet, twice a day should help a little with the itching.

I would gently bathe the affected parts in a cooled salt water solution whenever you come back from a walk, and dry carefully, but gently. Maybe just pat with paper towels.

It might be worth looking at other food. JWB isn't a bad food, by any means, but I've heard of dogs getting allergic reactions to it in the past. Did you want to feed dry food, or are you open to trying a complete raw mix? There are some good ones around which can help with allergies. Nutriment, Benyfit & to a lesser extent Country Hunter are some that shouldn't be too hard to find.

I would also stop the Malaseb if it isn't working; it's very harsh & continued use, without results, may be detrimental. By all means check with your vet, but if it isn't working, even they will probably say to stop it.

Can you put a pic on here of what the rash looks like?

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down