Scratching only when the winter coat is off

4 posters

Go down

Scratching only when the winter coat is off Empty Scratching only when the winter coat is off

Post by Amber's Dad Wed Jun 06 2018, 00:19

Hello All,

I seem to be having a weird issue with Amber and wanted to get some insight from you folks.

She seems to have developed an itch for a week or so and is pretty much constantly scratching/biting the base of her tail or her belly.

Now, I have done a sweep for fleas and found nothing. Gave her a bath with baby shampoo, apple cider vinegar but it does not seem to be helping.

Applying papaw cream does seem to clear up any redness/rashes.

However, when I put her winter coat on.. she immediately stops all scratching and itching and becomes a different dog. The moment that coat comes off.. it back to itching again.

I'm stumped! Can you guys help me? I will take her to the vet if this does not resolve in a day or two.
Amber's Dad
Amber's Dad
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Amber
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Scratching only when the winter coat is off Empty Re: Scratching only when the winter coat is off

Post by gillybrent Wed Jun 06 2018, 10:19

How strange!

I wonder if it's more a nervous reflex rather than an irritation? That would explain why the coat helps, as she feels more secure.

I take it you haven't changed anything, like food, cleaners, air fresheners etc?

Have you thought about Adaptil spray for around the home?

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Scratching only when the winter coat is off Empty Re: Scratching only when the winter coat is off

Post by Amber's Dad Wed Jun 06 2018, 10:33

gillybrent wrote:How strange!

I wonder if it's more a nervous reflex rather than an irritation? That would explain why the coat helps, as she feels more secure.

I take it you haven't changed anything, like food, cleaners, air fresheners etc?

Have you thought about Adaptil spray for around the home?

I never thought of that! I really appreciate your input.. thank you for replying!

It could be due to the fact that I give her zero flex on the house rules and unwanted behavior during walking.
She does seem much less itchy around the wifey. I love her and don't want her to see me as a monster. I have never laid a hand on her.. all the corrections are verbal only. I am also the primary care taker.

She gives me a lot of respect though and treats the wifey like a peer. I can definitely try backing off a little.. she's still a kid.

I had no idea what adaptil was.. i can definitely look into it.
Amber's Dad
Amber's Dad

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Wed Jun 06 2018, 12:29

Adaptil works with appeasement pheromones which help to calm a dog. It does work when used for anxiety, although some people think it's only a marginal difference, where others think it's a god send!

I don't think it will be anxiety because of you, but maybe something that has frightened her at some point - it might even be something you haven't noticed yourselves. The spray may help to ease her troubles when she's feeling stressed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptil-Spray-EXCLUSIVE-PETWELL%C2%AE-ADAPTIL%C2%AE/dp/B0743DDKQZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1528284408&sr=8-2&keywords=adaptil+spray+for+dogs

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber's Dad Wed Jun 06 2018, 13:07

gillybrent wrote:Adaptil works with appeasement pheromones which help to calm a dog. It does work when used for anxiety, although some people think it's only a marginal difference, where others think it's a god send!

I don't think it will be anxiety because of you, but maybe something that has frightened her at some point - it might even be something you haven't noticed yourselves. The spray may help to ease her troubles when she's feeling stressed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptil-Spray-EXCLUSIVE-PETWELL%C2%AE-ADAPTIL%C2%AE/dp/B0743DDKQZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1528284408&sr=8-2&keywords=adaptil+spray+for+dogs

Thank you for the info. I reckon Adaptil is worth a try.
It really helps when you say that she's not anxious because of me. Thank You!
Amber's Dad
Amber's Dad

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Wed Jun 06 2018, 19:02

I would find it odd if she was scratching there because of you to be honest. It is strange that it stops with the coat on though, I wonder if it's a twitch that's irritating there and the coat suppresses it?

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Scratching only when the winter coat is off B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber's Dad Thu Jun 07 2018, 01:51

A quick update:

1. Since the coat is helping, I left the coat on her pretty much all day and also let her sleep with the coat on.

2. I have also continued the application on papaw cream to any hotspots that were caused due to scratching. Hotspots seem to be gone.

3. Here's the interesting part:

I took off the coat for her walkies and gave her 6 ft of leash instead of the usual 3 ft and allowed her to dictate the pace and direction. All good .. no itching... even without the coat!
I allowed her to meet dogs and gave her treats when she ignored them. All good so far!

Then, along comes another Staffy that she really wants to meet and I say no and asked her to sit and ignore him instead. Instant furious itching and scratching! and this continued till we got back home and put the coat back on her.

WTF!?

Thoughts?
Amber's Dad
Amber's Dad

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Jun 07 2018, 05:16

I’ve also read (and experienced) that putting a coat or dog t-shirt body does calm them. We used equafleece t-shirt bodies post-spaying and definitely no stolen zoomies Laughing

From your last post, sounds like Amber is displaying scratching as a response to stress or frustration. Wearing the coat (which I presume is a wrap-around model) calms her so she forgets the itch.
It’s probably just a temporary behavioural trait.

Other than with the coat on, is there anything else that you can do to distract her from the scratching ? Maybe a high value treat or absolute favourite toy ?
I have certain treats that Nifty will kill for, that I only use for very specific reasons. So she knows she has a certain biscuit when she shows me her poo instead of eating it, for example sick
I’d just be wary of always using the coat long term as it treats the symptoms but not the cause. Your girl is so pretty too, shame to hide her under clothing Wink

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber's Dad Thu Jun 07 2018, 06:00

Nifty staffy wrote:I’ve also read (and experienced) that putting a coat or dog t-shirt body does calm them. We used equafleece t-shirt bodies post-spaying and definitely no stolen zoomies Laughing

From your last post, sounds like Amber is displaying scratching as a response to stress or frustration. Wearing the coat (which I presume is a wrap-around model) calms her so she forgets the itch.
It’s probably just a temporary behavioural trait.

Other than with the coat on, is there anything else that you can do to distract her from the scratching ? Maybe a high value treat or absolute favourite toy ?
I have certain treats that Nifty will kill for, that I only use for very specific reasons. So she knows she has a certain biscuit when she shows me her poo instead of eating it, for example sick
I’d just be wary of always using the coat long term as it treats the symptoms but not the cause. Your girl is so pretty too, shame to hide her under clothing  Wink

Your assumption is correct. It is a wrap around coat.

I am really hoping that this is temporary. She's just 5 months old and she should grow out of it.

There's a liver and mint cookie that she can do absolutely anything for. I'll try using that to distract her... hopefully she doesn't see it as a reward for scratching Laughing

I'll try giving her a little more flex room too.
Amber's Dad
Amber's Dad

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu Jun 07 2018, 09:47

As long as you don't give her the treat while she's scratching it'll be okay. Try using a key word & treat when you use it, if that makes sense?

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber's Dad Thu Jun 07 2018, 10:43

gillybrent wrote:As long as you don't give her the treat while she's scratching it'll be okay. Try using a key word & treat when you use it, if that makes sense?

Of course that makes sense. I will pair it with another command.
Amber's Dad
Amber's Dad

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Jun 07 2018, 18:14

Or pair the treat with an action, like asking her to move away from scratching spot and sit, for example. Wink

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down