10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help!

3 posters

Go down

10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help! Empty 10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help!

Post by Chance&Milo Thu Feb 01 2018, 07:31

Hi everyone

So my partner has brought a 10 week old staffy cross. I have had a number of different breeds before but know nothing about them. I have also never had a puppy that cry’s when he’s left before! He literally howls the house down all night! My neighbors must be hating me right now. I slept on the sofa last night trying to get him to stop. He sleeps in a crate but obviously hates it as he’s fine sleeping on sofa, but he isn’t toilet trained so can’t leave him to his own devices yet. He won’t go out in my garden just howls at the door even when my other dog goes out, just comes in and squats where he likes- I know he’s little bit my jack Russell was a piece of cake training. I can’t take him out yet as he’s due his 2nd jabs in 2 weeks. Any suggestions would be a help please. I don’t wanna pander to him cuz he will expect that and I’ll never be a able to leave him

Chance&Milo
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help! Empty Re: 10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help!

Post by Guest Thu Feb 01 2018, 08:00

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help! Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help! Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help! Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Back to top Go down

10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help! Empty Re: 10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help!

Post by Guest Thu Feb 01 2018, 08:10

Hi and welcome from me and mine.

First of all, don't panic. Most puppy will can try the patience of a saint. Things do get better!

A good place for you to start is our information sheets. There's general information that you might find helpful and also a couple of specific ones I'd recommend.

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t66721-puppy-information-sheets

The first is the one on crate use and training. While some dogs do get used to being in a crate and in fact learn it's their place, the forceful method of training can also leave you with a dog who wants nothing more to do with it for life. I'd strongly suggest you take the time to train your pup to love it an easier way.

There's also a sheet on separation anxiety. If you work as explained in there you should hopefully be able to build up to leaving him on his own. For now, though, don't expect too much of him. He's a baby puppy in a big wide world and is clearly finding it all a little overwhelming.

By making life easier for him, you're not pandering to his every whim and setting him up to be a spoilt brat. You can still have boundaries but you have to teach them. By expecting too much of him early on and making him try to deal with things that scare him, though, you risk damaging his confidence, which in the long run is a bigger problem to deal with later on.

I hope that all helps!

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu Feb 01 2018, 09:13

Hi & welcome.

Can't add anything to Liz's post other than, if you need any help going through the help sheets or in understanding how to put them into practice, let us know.

All pups toilet train in in different ways & in different time scales. No amount of training will change that, but the right training & approach will stop it from becoming prolonged.

I'm a great exponent of crates, but pups need to be introduced to them properly & sympathetically or they'll feel trapped, helpless & scared - wouldn't you cry if you felt like that? That's not a dig at you, just a little push to make sure your pup's happy. Big Grin

Do you have any photos you'd like to share? What's your pup's name? Love Struck Actually, I take it from your username that his name's Milo? Laughing

Last edited by gillybrent on Thu Feb 01 2018, 19:48; edited 1 time in total

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Feb 01 2018, 19:12

Hello and welcome from us.
Nothing to add to the good advice above Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

10 week old staff cross Rhodesian ridgeback help! B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down