Goblin
gillybrent
Nifty staffy
Jenc
8 posters

Go down

Word of warning Empty Word of warning

Post by -Ian- Thu Oct 19 2017, 20:13

We have been in dispute with Flo's insurance company, Petplan (Allianz) since she needed spinal surgery. You can read about her woes here https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t66494-a-bit-worried and have had the final judgement from the financial ombudsman.

We were initially refused because Petplan claimed she had a pre-existing condition, spondylitis on the spine was detected when Flo had an X-ray for a poorly leg. Having read through Flo's notes it does indeed say this and that her vet would discuss this with us, they never did so we never knew. The vet even agreed with us. The ombudsman also verbally said that if we didn't know we couldn't possibly have declared it.

In the final judgement from the ombudsman he cites things that Flo had from before we took her in from Battersea dogs home and says that Petplan state that we ticked a box saying she had never seen a vet even though we applied for insurance on the same day we took her to the vet for the X-ray. Why would we have done that !?!? We have no proof as it was all done on line.

My advice to anyone taking out pet insurance is to declare every visit and every diagnosis even the ones you know nothing about because failure to do so leaves you wide open to having any claim rejected. This would of course result in premiums being increased I would imagine.

We have now stopped the insurance and are looking into a simple third party liability insurance, any savings made are now going in to Flo's medical fund.

Personally I feel that Petplan have been immoral in taking premiums for what turns out to be a virtually uninsurable dog due to all the exclusions, Head, spine, ears (she has no ear canals!), legs and skin.

If you've read this far you'll realise that I'm pretty p*ssed off that we paid in all good faith only for Petplan to call foul on a technicality. If you get Petplan pet insurance on line, screen shot all the tick Boxes, declare all vet visits and keep your fingers crossed.

Despite our financial woes Flo is worth every penny we've spent and I'll leave it to you, the reader, to decide if you think Petplan have been fair.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Word of warning B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Word of warning Empty Re: Word of warning

Post by Jenc Thu Oct 19 2017, 20:21

I feel for you Ian, Katy is insured at the moment but I think I will just put the money aside each month. My friend does the same as she had a major falling with the same lot you are fighting. Typical insurance, like taking our money but don't pay it out angry

Word of warning B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Oct 19 2017, 20:40

In a twisted way it’s easier out here as for many things, we’re decades behind the UK and small animal health insurance is not very widespread at all.

Thanks for the warning and I think we’ll continue with putting money aside.

But how appauling to be treated like that by your insurance company angry

Word of warning B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 20 2017, 08:08

That is so disappointing! It really is beware the fine print and little tick boxes.

We now self insure, with the amount we would have paid saved. We are members of the Dogs Trust, which gives you 3rd party liability, and we also have £3 a month basic accident insurance through Animal Friends.

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Fri Oct 20 2017, 17:22

that's appalling! The Ombudsman service is obviously a complete waste of time.

are you much out of pocket?

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Sat Oct 21 2017, 16:35

I'm not renewing with petplan. I was a bit dubious about how much use they were anyway, but now I'm definitelynot renewing them. That is absolutely appalling behaviour.
Goblin
Goblin

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Oct 23 2017, 01:03

gillybrent wrote:that's appalling!  The Ombudsman service is obviously a complete waste of time.

are you much out of pocket?

To be honest I feel the ombudsman spent 10 mins on it and just went with Petplan, agreed I'm the one aggrieved so would feel that way but they originally rejected us on so called pre-existing conditions which we knew nothing about and then added that we had ticked a box on line saying she had never seen a vet. We never knew about the spondylitis and have had that confirmed by our vet. As for the tick box, well having got Flo from Battersea why on earth would we have ticked that box, of course she would have seen a vet.

Now bear in mind they rejected us on the pre-existing first then the ombudsman got involved & all of a sudden there's this tick box, call me cynical but it smacks of any excuse not to pay out. We paid for insurance in good faith.

Are we out of pocket? Well yes. Flo's treatment cost near to £5000 and was insured to £4000 less excess, so £3900. Add in to that the premiums we've paid over the last 5 years and never received a penny in claims I would say we are well out of pocket.

We took out insurance in all good faith and never sought to defraud yet on technicalities Petplan (Allianz) have refused to share the risk.

Word of warning B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Paris1990 Mon Oct 23 2017, 10:37

This is shocking! Especially with the financial ombudsman getting involved and there’s that huge hype with that money saving man basically saying he will help if your being done! Obviously B**S***

We almost went with Petplan because of them sponsoring supervet but they didn’t recognise our post code so went with more than and quite glad now. So sorry for you and your family Ian, this absolutely sucks Sad
Paris1990
Paris1990
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hank
Dog(s) Ages : 2 Year
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Thu Oct 26 2017, 23:00

Im sorry this has happened to you. Unfortunately they are notorious in the insurance circles for not paying out anything....
lexii
lexii

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sat Oct 28 2017, 06:59

Barstewards ian shocking the way they have treated you whilst paying an insurance premium kinda dubious about insurance tbh,pay through the nose no matter what u do

Word of warning B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317