lexii
gillybrent
-Ian-
8 posters

Go down

First time in kennels  Empty First time in kennels

Post by Paris1990 Sat Aug 05 2017, 22:51

Hi everyone

We will be putting hank in our local kennel while we go away at the end of the month, I'm totally freaking out and keep thinking the worst, the couple who run the kennels we've picked have been doing it for years and years but I've just got a bad feeling? I went up today to check it out and there were so many dogs locked inside when the sun was beaming Sad am I just feeling like this because it's his first time and he's my absolute world.
Paris1990
Paris1990
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hank
Dog(s) Ages : 2 Year
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 48

Back to top Go down

First time in kennels  Empty Re: First time in kennels

Post by -Ian- Sat Aug 05 2017, 23:24

I completely understand your feelings, we checked out kennels for my Flo years back, even ones that had cameras so you could see them from anywhere, but I just couldn't. I'm a softy at heart and in the end found family to look after her.

My way of looking at things like this is to trust instinct, if your not happy and comfortable then perhaps it isn't right, after all, you need to be happy else you'll just worry whilst away.

I've also looked into dog buddies (I think it's called that) where they are looked after either in your home or theirs, they can do single sits at request too. I guess it depends on cost but if you aren't happy with the kennels it's an option.

If I had the space I think I'd set up a Staffy only dog sitting service, there certainly seems to be demand.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

First time in kennels  B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 06 2017, 08:57

I'm not sure what options you've got at this point. I would imagine that home boarders, dog sitters, etc. are full in the coming weeks. I would say at this point you either have to stick with your plans and maybe review your options next time, or you don't go on holiday.

To be honest, the kennels round here are all the same. All will tell you how all of the dogs are just so happy with them, yet you can hear the barking for miles. We've got 3 near here and you can always tell when it's holiday time! I think if you put a dog in kennels you have to accept that he won't love it. They cope, som better than others, but, despite what kennel owners will tell you, they don't actually like it.

Which is why we go to France and take the dogs with us!

Back to top Go down

Post by Paris1990 Mon Aug 07 2017, 13:22

The kennel I tried to get him which id be happy him going as i haven't heard a bad thing said about them was fully booked when I tried to book and that was early on this year Sad because its bank holiday weekend we are going to a festival otherwise he would be coming with!

when I went up all the dogs were barking but the guy said It isn't usually like that as they had just had 11 terriers dropped off that morning and when I went to look inside it was infact all the terriers kicking off, my OH has had dogs in at the same kennel and was happy about it but he has said he knows I feel the same way about Hank as he does about his own children so can understand why I'm freaking out.

When I was talking to the guy about what I feed him and that id be sending my OH with the food and instructions he had a right bee in his bonnet about this and the fact I do not want hank to eat any dry dog food. so obviously I'm worried about that thinking what if they just totally ignore me and give him some rubbish.

Luckily I have him booked in with out 1st choice for us going away in January so I think I will be booking as early as possible for any other trips we have, but for 1 or 2 nights he can go with my dad or our neighbour who's obsessed with him haha.
Paris1990
Paris1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Mon Aug 07 2017, 16:05

As already said - go with your gut instinct!

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Thu Aug 17 2017, 02:10

I have worked in a few kennels in my time and you do have to do your research on them. One i worked in the dogs got out for literally 5 mins twice a day. The "show pens" were a lovely kennel with an attached outdoor kennel that looks great but the dogs were moved within 5 mins of the owner leaving to a shed with a kennel half the size and indoors - i didnt stay there long and im not sure its still open! Feed wise, they were all fed wet/kibble mix no matter what. Another i worked in had a morning and afternoon "out" pen which the dogs went into while the kennel was cleaned then back in. Staff were there only morning and afternoon but afternoon the dogs got a walk around the field on a short lead. Food was whatever owner said but the owners only fed and it could take them til 3PM to get around, as they were about 90 so some dogs would be very put out by that!

Last kennel i worked in had us as full time staff, the dogs went to the pen in the morning after feeding - which was all owner specified unless they fed bakers and we refused to feed them that, kennel cleaned, then rotated all day so when we were in another section the first section dogs got changed over after every two kennels done....its was confusing but worked well cause every dog got out as much as possible. Then after lunch break every dog (while also being rotated to the pens) got a long walk around acres of fields and if they were recall trained (and we had owner permission) they were let off otherwise they were on longest possible lines so they could run about. I absolutely adored that kennel the owner was amazing and genuinely treated the dogs like her own...she as often seen to take the dogs into her house just to hang out and if a dog was really not settling in the kennel it came into her house and didn't go back out to kennels! It was also one of the only kennels in the area to accept guard dogs, police dogs, aggressive to strangers dogs and akitas.  The "red" dogs were not walked by the staff but her husband would walk them (military dog handler...not much fased him!) and they would get more pen time when possible...not uncommon for them to be still rotating them at 10PM at night.

My point being, there are awful kennels out there, and you have to find out about them from reviews, or general feel. there are also amazing kennels out there...you just have to find them again by reviews and gut feelings.
lexii
lexii

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paris1990 Thu Aug 17 2017, 13:25

Since I posted I have been trying to find out as much information as possible and there's a couple of people from work put their dogs in there and another one of my partners friends does and they are all happy with them going there, apparently the lady who runs is very good and it was her husband who I met which everyone said he was a bit of a funny one.

I'm feeling better about him going, still not happy with it but not because of the kennels but for leaving him Sad but we have to still be able to go and enjoy these things in life so I'm just going to try be a calm about it as possible so I don't ruin our trip.
Paris1990
Paris1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jnestie84 Sun Aug 20 2017, 11:12

Which kennels is he going to?

First time in kennels  B310

Jnestie84
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Support total : 85

Back to top Go down

Post by Paris1990 Sun Aug 20 2017, 20:21

Fairview at Sandwith
Paris1990
Paris1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jnestie84 Sun Aug 20 2017, 20:43

Gus had a good night at a kennels in greystoke near penrith we put him there as our usual place couldn't have him. When we picked Gus up he had a good night and the owner was desperate for us to book Gus in again with her. We are very lucky that we have found two places close to us where the dogs sleep in the house and during the day are out and about with the owners. If you want details for them let me know, it might be a bit far for you to travel though.

Jnestie84

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paris1990 Mon Aug 21 2017, 21:00

Yeah that is out of the way for us, if we were driving to where we are going wouldn't be too bad but we are getting the train so no good Sad
Paris1990
Paris1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jnestie84 Mon Aug 21 2017, 21:04

Never mind. It is a worry Paris but I'm sure everything will be fine.

Jnestie84

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paris1990 Wed Aug 23 2017, 10:12

He had his first night last night, I couldn't stop him off I had to get my OH to take him as I was crying on and off most of the day and when it came for his time to go I was a blubbering mess Crying or Very sad My OH said he went in fine which I knew he would because he loves everyone and everything all day it was all new to him, but it settled me knowing he didn't kick up a fuss going there.

Just called the kennels this morning and she said he's doing great and ate all his breakfast no problem Smile and he's being his usual cheeky self so I feel okay now Smile my dad's going to collect him earlier than we had told the kennel too while we travel back.
Paris1990
Paris1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Wed Aug 23 2017, 10:35

Now you know he's settled its time for you to relax and enjoy your holiday Paris, I'm sure he will be fine and it's not for too long Big Grin

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Paris1990 Wed Aug 23 2017, 13:10

Yes, the cans have been opened now Laughing no not long just until Monday but long enough with out my wee man! Can just imagine his face when we get him back on Monday Big Grin
Paris1990
Paris1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Aug 23 2017, 13:19

Hank is beautiful Love Struck

Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Paris1990 Mon Aug 28 2017, 22:28

Well to say I'm heartbroken is an understatement! I don't think I've ever been so upset in all my life. When we collected Hank today at first he was really excited to see me then started being odd and shaking in the car, he wouldn't look at me and usually I get a thousand kisses every time I see him, he absolutely stunk his coat was rotten and all the shine gone Crying or Very sad casting so bad!

When we got him home he was still confused and took him a while to realise where he was and who we were by the looks of things which made me hysterical, then whenever my OH went to go near him he would cower and that sent both of us in a bad way. He also wouldn't get up on the sofa like he usually does and just stayed in the kitchen away from us for about an hour.. He's coming round now but still sulking I dread to think he's been mistreat by the owners of the kennels.

I also suspect he was fed other food as well as what we sent him with as he has had the worst gas ever non stop and done a bad poo in the kitchen.. which we are still in shock about him going in the kitchen but we figured it was just him getting used to be back home.

Also another weird thing he's doing is constantly trying to hump me.. this is new. Is it anything to do with him being away from us?

I've got a number for a lady who looks after a dogs in her own home she charges more and send you photos and videos etc.. so if we ever go away again he will be going with her.. because right now I never want to leave him ever again Crying or Very sad feel awful.
Paris1990
Paris1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Tue Aug 29 2017, 06:39

To be honest if I was you I'd be furious and be straight back at the kennels demanding to know what went on. Poor Hank sounds traumatised. I'll bet they fed him any old rubbish as the man you spoke to originally had a problem with giving him what you wanted. Sounds like the husband was a good indicator of how they treat the dogs and the wife was just a good facade and says the right things but doesn't actually care either.

I'd definitely be looking to report this kennels as you can't be the first people to come back to a dog like this. I really wouldn't let this rest.

I'm sure after he had a few days to settle with you, get back into a routine, have exercise and be fed well he will be ok. Do let us know how it goes. Honestly I'm so angry for you, kennels like this should be shut down. It makes me realise how lucky I am to have parents who will always look after misty, I just couldn't leave her anywhere else as she wouldn't be able to take kennels whatsoever.

Give Hank a kiss from misty and me x

Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by Jnestie84 Tue Aug 29 2017, 07:01

How is Hank this morning? I'm sure he will settle back down before you know it. It will have been a very strange experience for Hank with all the other dogs there and being out of his normal routine. I'm sure his hormones were all over the place with all the female dogs around.

Jnestie84

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 29 2017, 07:38

Sad Poor wee Hank, and poor you. I'm very sad for you but regrettably not surprised. Many boarding kennels talk the talk but ultimately do what they want when the owners aren't looking. Home boarding is a good idea if you can find someone, I know a couple of people who take in dogs like that and they're lovely.

As for this upset, put it down to experience and don't beat yourself up about it. You did what you felt was right at the time and had no way of knowing how it would turn out. Hank will forget all about it soon enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Paris1990 Tue Aug 29 2017, 12:58

I have said to my OH that I want to find out what they have done to him but they are an old couple who have been doing it for years and he thinks I won't get very far with them and will be more upset and frustrated, but I will warn others if anyone asks about kennels in the future.

He seems to be abit better this morning he got all of the snuggles and love last night and today, but there was a poo in the kitchen this morning but I know that where he was at in the kennels he was able to go where he was at, well there was another room for him to go that was joined to his room, so we are just going to bear with a retrain him to just go outside again.

He is casting really bad there's no patches but it's the worst is been, my OH thinks it might be because it will have been colder than our house where he was but I don't know if he's just trying to make me not freak out and thinking there's something else wrong.

I feel like taking the rest of the week off work just to cuddle him but he needs to get back into his normal routine, my OH is off work so he will be with him. I feel like I've let him down so much Sad

I know he will be back to himself soon after we've spoiled him with love and kisses.. well I hope so anyway! I can feel some guilt presents being bought haha
Paris1990
Paris1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Aug 29 2017, 20:19

So sorry to hear that it was the total opposite of what you were led to believe.
I'm sure Hank will be over the incident quicker than you think but it certainly is food for thought regarding future arrangements.
And very angry that the kennel owners did not respect Hank, you or any of the other clients who trusted them.

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Paris1990 Wed Aug 30 2017, 12:29

He's back to his normal self now Smile Thank god! plenty of snuggles and back to his normal routine have done the trick.

I been telling him he wont ever see them people again, the lady my friend recommended has put photos on her facebook page of her and my friends dog snuggled on the sofa and that's what I want for Hank for when we go away in future Smile I've contacted her and he just needs to get on with her own dog which I can't see being a problem.

The humping thing is getting worse so need to get him some new toys to distract him as he's more interested in my leg than his toys he has now Laughing
Paris1990
Paris1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jnestie84 Wed Aug 30 2017, 20:56

That's good news. Glad he's getting back to normal now.

Jnestie84

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 31 2017, 06:47

Dogs live very much in the moment, they put stuff behind them so much more quickly than we do!

Humping - it's a need thing, a need for your attention. Try asking him to sit instead and only give him attention when he does that instead of humping. Hopefully he'll settle anyway but that should help him on his way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Paris1990 Thu Aug 31 2017, 12:38

Will try that, I've currently just been trying to walk away rather than trying to push him down as we all know where that leads Laughing Will try the sit Smile
Paris1990
Paris1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down