Canvas crates ...

3 posters

Go down

Canvas crates ... Empty Canvas crates ...

Post by smudge95 Wed Jun 07 2017, 09:03

Hi
I am looking at getting Buddy a crate to travel in - he is crate trained at home with no issues and up till now I have always had him on the back seat of the car with a seat belt clip - but despite months of training and desensitizing him to the car he just will not lay/sit still he just gets too excited with all the outside stimulants that by the time we get any where he is in a frenzy and panting etc so I think if I crate him and cover him it may help .

Now my question is - my boot is not deep enough to get a metal car crate in ( not one that he will fit in any way ) so I was wondering if any one has used the canvas type crates that I could then put on my back seat and secure as they are not quite as wide as the metal crates- Buddy is a bit of a chewer and I was wondering if he would chew the mesh sides or if he would accept it as a crate as he is used to being in one at home.

I don't want to get one and have him "escape" whilst I am driving - has any one used one for their Staffie without it being destroyed ?

smudge95
smudge95
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down

Canvas crates ... Empty Re: Canvas crates ...

Post by Mia05 Wed Jun 07 2017, 10:53

Carol is there anyway you can put buddy in the boot of your car and seperate the back seat from the boot with a grate? . You said buddys a chewer, im thinking it might be dangerous to have the canvas crate and on sunny days a danger of buddy overheating under the canvas. How about blocking your back windows off with sheets securing them to the window and using the grate?.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Canvas crates ... B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Jun 07 2017, 10:57

Found something that seems a viable option carol https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000F71DF4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496829403&sr=8-1&keywords=kurgo+backseat+barrier Smile

Canvas crates ... B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 07 2017, 13:08

If he's crate trained at home, can you somehow introduce a canvas crate at home, gradually bringing it in with his home crate, feeding him in it, etc. so he gets used to it away from the car, then gradually introducing it as a safe place in the car? It certainly sounds like an interesting idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Wed Jun 07 2017, 14:40

I think it's a good idea, but how would it be secured?

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Wed Jun 07 2017, 14:50

hi I have tried him in the boot he just keeps throwing himself at the back window or grate - he doesn't try and get to me when on the back seat he just doesn't sit still gets more and more erratic jumping from back window to side window until he is all caught up with his restraint -I have been looking at these might be good to take away as well to stop him eating hotel rooms! it secured to the back seats and can be made smaller if needed
https://www.travellingwithpets.co.uk/products/ebpts
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Jun 07 2017, 15:22

Carol a large one if these might be ideal for buddy hes some dog Laughing he must cost you a small fortune Laughing such a character

Canvas crates ... B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Wed Jun 07 2017, 16:41

believe me Crystal if he didn't have some huge personality we would have some big problems - he is so good in most ways and half the time its just like he is being a naughty boy like a toddler to get attention - he has taken now to collecting my ornaments and taking them into the garden one by one - the fact I collect porcelain clowns that does not make me a happy bunny LOL he only does it when he cant sit on my lap or someone else is getting my attention...never breaks them or chews just waits for me to take them back so he can start the game again he knows its wrong as he is well aware of what leave it means ...
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Jun 07 2017, 18:35

Awe they are just like kids. mia would come to me sometimes i would pretend i didnt see her i could see the head tilt corner of my eye . Then she would give a low wuff if that didn't get my attention she would howl and run to her treat cupboard and do this until i tended to her needs Laughing Laughing then i would go through the whole charade do you want a b.i.s.c.u.i.t by then she was in front of me with the knowing glance she would then wait till i followed sit and look at the treat cupboard and wait on me opening it Laughing mia knew the leave it command there was a few times she stole the biscuit off the carpet Laughing Laughing i didnt let mia sit on my leg she would just run her claws down my shin instead rolling on the floor . People asked what happened to my leg "oh that was just wee mia" trying to train her not to jump up was a nightmare . Laughing one night just ready to go out she jumped up and laddered my tights rolling on the floor rolling on the floor . ♡♡♡♡

Canvas crates ... B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Fri Jun 09 2017, 10:21

smudge95 wrote:I have been looking at these might be good to take away as well to stop him eating hotel rooms! it secured to the back seats and can be made smaller if needed
https://www.travellingwithpets.co.uk/products/ebpts

to be honest, that looks so restrictive & may be too hot in the summer. i know you don't want him jumping around, but he should be able to sit up and lie down with ease - it doesn't look as though a dog can do that in one of those.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 09 2017, 11:49

I'm not overly keen on that either. It doesn't even have a flat bottom surface to feel secure on.

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Fri Jun 09 2017, 12:58

I think as its secured to the seats it would not move about even though it isn't flat -they do make a square one but it is not as big -the gallery pictures show a pointer laying in it and buddy is quite a small staffy - I think I will have to take him pets at home or somewhere and see if I can put him in a canvas one to get a judge of size required -i'm not going to rush into anything as I don't want to stress him and make the issue worse - I just cant think of another way to secure him -front seat didn't work he wanted to stand up and look out of the side window ....arrgh good job I love the terror Smile
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down