change of food causing diarrhea ??????

2 posters

Go down

change of food causing diarrhea ?????? Empty change of food causing diarrhea ??????

Post by richyboy111 Tue Jul 05 2011, 14:46

hi, last few days blake has had diarrhea, i cant think why apart from that the other day i gave him a tin of wet food mixed with his dry food,ive done this with him before but it didn't caused him to have diarrhea, he still seems his self and drinking ok..... any tips on how to treat him for diarrhea? thanks

richyboy111
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blake
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

change of food causing diarrhea ?????? Empty Re: change of food causing diarrhea ??????

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05 2011, 14:49

If the change of food is permanent it should be done slowly over the course of a week or so. There will be some types of food your dog will always be sensitive to so best to avoid those. I feed Suki sweet potatos since they make her bowel movements harder.

Back to top Go down

change of food causing diarrhea ?????? Empty Re: change of food causing diarrhea ??????

Post by richyboy111 Tue Jul 05 2011, 14:57

ok thanks, i only gave him a tin of wet food because the shop had ran out of his usual food,but ive stocked up on his normal food now....ive herd to not feed him for a day or 2 to let him pass the diarrhea???

richyboy111

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blake
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Tue Jul 05 2011, 15:04

Chances are its just the change of food you did as a tempory mesure, even more so as it was wet food.

I wouldnt worry if your back on the normal food now, just make sure there is alway clean fresh water to drink as I am sure you do anyway, just keep an eye out and if it dont clear up then go see the vet maybe but I certainly would not worry most likely just did not agree with the new tempory food combo.
johneva
johneva
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05 2011, 15:33

You could starve for 24 hours, and then re-introduce his food slowly over a day or two. If he still has the runs then, ask the vet for advice.

If, while you're starving (doesn't that sound awful?), he seems really hungry, you could give him some arrowroot - a couple of teaspoons mixed into a paste & then topped up with water to about 200ml. Then heat in a saucepan until it starts to thicken. Add some honey or brown sugar (not very much) and allow to cool. It should resemble a horrible gloopy gel, but they seem to like it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down