Me and my shadow

5 posters

Go down

Me and my shadow Empty Me and my shadow

Post by Lesco Sat Jul 09 2016, 20:44

Good evening guys, I hope this post finds you all well and good.

My wife and I inherited two lovely loving blue staffies a few years ago when my son and his partner split up, they have been together since they were puppies and I didnt like the thought of splitting them up so we took them both on and have no regrets whatsoever.

The little girl is called Tegan and the big boy is called Zazoo (Zaz for short) the little girl is such a loving little dog and very very affectionate, the big boy loves people but does not get on with other dogs, no matter how we try he growls and barks at them, he even tries to attack the tv if he sees other animals on the screen, but with people he is a big softy just licks everyone to death.

About 2 months ago, he barked and lunged at the back fence at another dog, which caused him to crush a disc in his spine and paralyzed him for over a month down his left hand side, it was horrible and we thought we were going to lose him, but thank god he is recovering now and is getting back to his old self again.

now to the reason for this post, since the accident the big boy have been very, very clingy, he adores my wife anyway, but when she is not here he constantly follows me around, if I go to my computer he sits at my feet, if I go to the toilet he follows me and lays down at the door till I come out, if I sit on the settee he sits right tight next to me, hes like a constant shadow, when my wifes at home hes the same with her, is that normal behaviour for this breed of dog? Im not moaning I love the dogs to death and they are our life now, Im just worried he might not be feeling well again.

thanks in advance for any help and advice
Lesco
Lesco
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Tegan and Zazoo
Dog(s) Ages : 5 and 4
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch and Dog
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Me and my shadow Empty Re: Me and my shadow

Post by Jenc Sat Jul 09 2016, 21:11

Hi & Me and my shadow Welcome

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have a number of seasonal just for fun Staffy picture competitions throughout the year. If you have a great picture don't be shy, post it. You might just win! Even if you don't enter do take the time to vote for your favourite and support those that enter Here

This Forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Me and my shadow Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Me and my shadow Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Me and my shadow Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Me and my shadow Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Me and my shadow Icon_arrow See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Me and my shadow B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sat Jul 09 2016, 21:16

Hi from me & Katy, welcome to you, Tegan & Zazoo Big Grin Sounds like a horrible accident for you all but all I can say is that Katy loves constant attention be it leaning on me or laying on my feet. Staffies love human contact, all the time they are touching you it seems to comfort them Love Struck

Me and my shadow B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Sat Jul 09 2016, 22:09

I agree with Jen, they definitely LOVE to be right beside us (if not ON us like my boy is right now! Laughing ). He may be a bit more clingy than usual due to the accident (how awful btw! & good luck getting him to 'rest'!), but also the separation from your son + partner. Enjoy the extra Staffy cuddles ! Love Struck
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2016, 08:16

That must have been so worrying. I'm glad he's made a good recovery.

It might be that he developed a different behaviour at the time of the injury that has become habit but it could be that there is some residual discomfort. Have you talked to the vet? I would think about asking for a short course of painkiller/anti-inflammatories to see if he changes with them, so as a diagnostic tool.

I would try to settle him if you can. If he's over-clingy because he's worried, even though there's no longer anything to worry about, that would mean he's living with a level of stress that he doesn't need to have. Also, if you do need to go away for any reason, it might be more difficult for him than it needs to be.

I'd be thinking of things like not giving him so much attention when he is being clingy, praising him if he does move away, trying to train him to use a bed that you can then move fractionally further and further away. I'm not suggesting that you reject him at all, just that he starts to learn that he can be a couple of feet away and that's still ok.

But, if it doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world. It sounds like you have one very happy household there, which is the main thing Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Jul 10 2016, 09:30

That must have been a very scary time whilst he recovered. They are very very human orientated and can follow you around the house, mine used to a lot but not so much now.

She will climb two flights of stairs to find me and will sit outside the loo. If we leave her indoors while we catch a few Ray's of sun she will wake up and tell us off for not telling her it is sunny and time to sunbathe. So yes, typically where we are she is.

That said she will take herself off and have her own time in her bed or stretched out on the sofa. How long have you had them and has he become more clingy since the accident ? Or has he always been close to you guys ?

Me and my shadow B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Haizum74 Sat Jul 16 2016, 14:59

It is also possible that the two aren't connected and it's just that he has become more comfortable around you after the accident (poor lad) and as such he is just doing what he potentially would have done in the first place. Staffies are like shadows and are very human orientated as it is. However, if it is concerning you then a trip to the vet to get checked out won't hurt.
Haizum74
Haizum74
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Me and my shadow Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Nita
Dog(s) Ages : 11 yrs old
Support total : 59

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDRAszQqSSjHtPqD97cmvQ