Suki and the dermatologist

Go down

Suki and the dermatologist Empty Suki and the dermatologist

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04 2011, 11:25

A while back Suki had some lumps on her skin. Since I had an English Bulldog before I was very familiar with allergies. One of our freinds at the dog park refered us to a canine dermatologist. He put Suki on the normal antibiodics and the problem cleared itself up after a week or so. He belives that her issue is a food allergy as she goes to the bathroom more frequently than what is normal and believes this is her bodies way of eliminating a toxin from her system. He actually conducts a test that pinpoints what the allergin is and has had many success stories with dogs. I thought this was interesting because I went to like 10 different vets with my last dog and had never heard of this being an option. I know the do this for humans but didn't know it was available for dogs. Suki can't have the test until she turns a year old because the results aren't considered reliable. So I'll take her during my vacation during September. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this process?

Now for the amusing story portion of the post. I was so proud of Suki becasue there were numerous smaller breeds barking at her and generally making a fuss. I gave her the sit, stay and quiet commands and she was an angel. When we got called into the exam room she walked right up like a sweet girl.....and then promply turned around and sprinted with all her might to the front door. She pulled so hard my shoulder actually came out of socket. It's an old injury but still hurt. When we finally did get her inside the dermatologist put her on the table and she let out a very fearsome bark. This was the first time I had ever heard her do that other than with me during play. Once he fed her a treat they were decent enough friens though.

Back to top Go down

Suki and the dermatologist Empty Re: Suki and the dermatologist

Post by gem Mon Jul 04 2011, 11:53

When my 2 have to go to the vets the only thing they are interested in is getting out the door they are such babies arnt they Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04 2011, 11:55

Poor Suki....such a brave girl....hmmmmm Laughing

Hope you get to the bottom of the skin problems / allergies

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04 2011, 11:58

Poor girl!

There's a lady on another forum I post on (a GSD one) that had these tests done. It was amazing what they came back with. They listed everything, even if the allergy was so slight that it made next to no difference!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04 2011, 12:51

I'm thinking that the allergies are a result of either a preservative or other additive to her dry food. Once the problem is isolateted I will probally switch to a raw diet. It's a bit more work but similar to what she would eat in a natural enviroment. Just glad that vetrinary medicine is starting to mirror what we recieve. Usually the vet simply prescribes steriods and antibiodics without treating the underlying problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05 2011, 10:36

We had all these test done with Milly she is having a de sensitising injection next week we have do the food trials etc so now they are looking at other things that came back, she was allergic to the strangest things tobbaco being one of them and she looked like she had a massive domino on her side for a few weeks were they had injected 66 test in total. hope you get sorted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05 2011, 12:14

I'm hoping the test only produces a few positive results. The dermatologist is supposed to be at the top of his field and producing excellent results. I'm cautiously optimistic since my English Bulldog had sooooo many allergy issues the vets could never sort out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12 2011, 11:15

jstaff wrote:I'm hoping the test only produces a few positive results. The dermatologist is supposed to be at the top of his field and producing excellent results. I'm cautiously optimistic since my English Bulldog had sooooo many allergy issues the vets could never sort out.

Wot did he do in the end did he help sooth the problem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down