Advice around elderly ppl

4 posters

Go down

Advice around elderly ppl Empty Advice around elderly ppl

Post by AussieStaff Sat May 28 2016, 23:42

As my mother-in-law has just lost her husband of 64yrs we have decided now is the time for her to move in with us so we can keep her company & look after her. She is coming up 89yrs old & very frail at just 40kgs.

I am looking for some advice on how we can condition Koda (2.5yrs, 19KG) for the transition. He is wonderful with her, knows not to thrust his toys into the back of her legs (saves that for us! Laughing), & generally is very gentle with her. When we get home he gets mega excited & leaps straight at everyone (this isnt helped by our 5 kids visiting who cant resist it Laughing), he knows with us he is not to jump and needs to calm himself before approaching us so he runs off grabs a toy and chews it to death with one madly excited tail smacking the floor at mach 10! She would happily have him sleep on her bed but he tends to lie across her chest so now we shut the door as she can't move him on her own.

My only concern is when hes excited hes a lot to handle, he does know there are rules & boundaries and typically hes great with then, i dont want to take away his excitement as its all part of his personality we love so much. My only real concern is that one day he will knock her over when excited if we're not around.

Im probably worrying over nothing as he sure knows how to be around her, i just wondered if anyone else is in this situation and has any advice for us. At the moment she sleeps over 1 night a week, & it is 8 weeks until she moves in with us. Thanks in advance! Big Grin
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Advice around elderly ppl Empty Re: Advice around elderly ppl

Post by -Ian- Sat May 28 2016, 23:55

Totally understand where your thoughts are Bek. My Brother in law has two huge blood hounds who's tails really do whip and they aren't the least clumsy of dogs which is the main reason my 95 yr old Grandmother in law doesn't really like to be near them. You can see the accident waiting to happen !

With Flo it's different though in a couple of ways. Flo is very delicate around her almost as if she knows and to be honest, she is smarter than the bloodhounds Rolling Eyes the only worry I have is if grandma inadvertently trips over Flo.

I know Koda is younger but he's no dummy, reinforce the no jumping rule and perhaps add a "Calm" command to stop him being too boisterous around her. I think you'll probably find that he will understand that grandma isn't for rough n tumble.

Good idea to keep him out of her room at night too... If I woke to find Flo on my chest I'd probably struggle too Laughing

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Advice around elderly ppl B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29 2016, 08:45

I think I'd teach him some special tricks for her (and teach her too), so that she has something to ask him to do that is incompatible with him jumping up or hurling around. Something like giving a paw or even both paws, rolling over, stuff like that. The key is the 'incompatible' bit, if he is rolling over he can't be jumping up.

It's generally much easier to teach a dog to do something that not to do something and 'don't' leaves a void. As I have a sneaky feeling that Mr Koda is partial to food, 'do this' to get a favourite treat (bbq knob, for example) shouldn't be too hard.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sun May 29 2016, 10:26

I was in the same predicament with my nana bek I kept certain treats at her house and got mia to sit at my nanas legs next to her chair only when her bum was on the floor and she was calm she got the treats. got to the stage where id reach her front door mia would have a few zoomies beforehand and she was calm the time she reached the chair Laughing Laughing . quite often we would walk 2 miles before reaching nanas . I never made any excitement or fuss when at nanas . koda likes toys id use a specific toy for him and practice the calming technique hen a couple of times a day with nana if she wants to Smile good luck keeping him calm it wnt be easy at first youll get there best of luck.

Advice around elderly ppl B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Sun May 29 2016, 10:27

Thank you both. I have been working on 'gently' for the past 8 weeks or so, it seems to be going well but tbh I am there every second to ensure it does, I'm more concerned for when I'm not around. He seems to have figured out Nana is the one who gives him treats and is not the one to shove the ball into the back of her legs etc., so far so good. I really must stock up on BBQ knobs though, just in case ! Laughing Oddly enough I'm ok with Koda sleeping on my chest, but I'm twice her weight ! I can imagine the fear factor for GrandmotherIL with two huge blood hounds romping around too Ian ! hypnotised
AussieStaff
AussieStaff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sun May 29 2016, 10:32

if nana is able practice with nana bek our staffies are funny they know how to play us dnt they Laughing nanas cat used to love being around mia was the only quiet time she got Smile

Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sun May 29 2016, 10:34

be good practice for koda around kids too bek Smile

Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sun May 29 2016, 21:04

When oh's mum had her stroke, Katy seemed to know something wasn't right. We always told her to be gentle, which she was but did try & lay on her in bed. We had to move her to mum's good side so she could stroke her without getting squashed, after a while Katy figured it out & wouldn't lay on her Big Grin Love Struck

Advice around elderly ppl B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Sun May 29 2016, 22:14

Im sorry to hear your MIL had a stroke. Katy is so smart, what a fab girl! I will keep working on 'gentle' & have a think more on the bed situation. Thanks! Smile
AussieStaff
AussieStaff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 30 2016, 07:50

You'll probably find he's calmer with her once the excitement of her being with you wears off anyway, Bek. I'm sure it'll all be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Mon May 30 2016, 07:55

I'm sure it will be just wanted to see if anyone else had experience in this area in case there's something obvious I've missed Smile
AussieStaff
AussieStaff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down