bullying

3 posters

Go down

bullying  Empty bullying

Post by Nicishuff Sat May 07 2016, 11:54

i have 2 staffs a boy 4 and a girl 2 recently my girl has been bullying my dog not letting him on his bed , growling and going for him and occasionally growling at us(which she has never done ) !! she had a lot of problems with her first season , phantom pregnancy and aggression to the boy and we had her spade on the vets recommendation she was fine the next season and she is not due till sep !! my dog is becoming unsure of her as he hates confrontation , they are normally best of friends but it seems its all on her terms at the moment when they play or cuddle etc he doesnt know where he is with her and us also ! she has also started guarding toys and treats she is fine with food , we have taken her to vets to rule out pain/illness its upsetting us all as she is a loving girl and character . please any suggestions !!

Nicishuff
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Support total : 0

Nicishuff

View user profile Send private message

Nicishuff

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

bullying  Empty Re: bullying

Post by shegsy Sat May 07 2016, 12:28

Hi again Smile I'm sorry, I have no experience of this behaviour but I'm sure some one will be along soon to help you
shegsy
shegsy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Stella RIP angel
Dog(s) Ages : 04/2001 - 08/2014
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 328

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sat May 07 2016, 13:59

hiya due what can you elaborate? if you have had your girl spayed what is she due in september? id seperate your dogs for a bit, imo and put your girl back through her training again . im sure someone with a multi dog household will be along to offer other hints and tips.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

bullying  B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicishuff Sat May 07 2016, 14:46

no due in season ,sorry !!

Nicishuff

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicishuff Sat May 07 2016, 14:50

oh yeah just got what ya mean lol, thinking because of her problems at her first season the vet said to watch for symptoms as she may have to have hormone injections so we r still keeping track of when she should have a season !! t

Nicishuff

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 07 2016, 17:12

It sounds like it could well be down to the old hormones. Bitches can often get grumpy and defensive during their seasons and if, as it sounds, your girl's hormones are affecting her otherwise it could be generally upsetting her. You say you've talked to your vet about the change in behaviour, what did he say or was that when he mentioned trying the injections? Behavioural changes with not other apparent cause are quite often linked to physical issues so it's probably where I'd start, and I think I'd be inclined to try the hormone treatment to see if it does make a difference. If it does you've got a cause and a solution, if it doesn't you know you can exclude that.

Did the vet have any other ideas, or just that?

In the meantime, it's probably down to careful management - putting toys away, watching for and avoiding other triggers - and I'd also get a pet corrector so that you have it to hand if things go to far. They don't always work but it's better to have one than not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicishuff Sat May 07 2016, 17:53

The vet wants me to try everything else before the injections but didn't really give many alternatives apart from as you say with toys and watching her , it is very obvious she goes wide eyed and her tail goes tight between her legs , but is very much full of remorse seconds later !! As for separation they pine for each other so much and if I separate into different rooms I would have no doors left lol

Nicishuff

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 07 2016, 18:24

Wide eyed and tail between legs sounds more like worry, which again makes me think that she's not feeling right and is reacting because of that.

How does your lad respond when she growls or goes to take possession of something? Is there a risk that he'll stand up to her?

I personally would probably be going back to the vet with a list of questions. Does he think it is hormones, is there anything else he should be looking at, what is the reason for not trying the injections now, if there is a concern about the injections (hence wanting to wait) is there an alternative less strong option to use as a diagnostic tool, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicishuff Sat May 07 2016, 19:17

My boy just runs and comes and tells us , and stays away from her ! You can always tell lol There has been 2 times where he has retaliated but as I say usually gives her a wide birth then next minute there playing nice and then cuddling up to nap !
I am gonna take her back to vets Monday as I have been keeping abit of a diary , so upsetting when she changes as she's so loving .

Nicishuff

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 07 2016, 20:04

Bless him! What are their names, by the way?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicishuff Sat May 07 2016, 20:26

Bart and hetti , my little loves !! I think your right about her hormones she's just been so clingy and then just taken herself off and curled into a ball on her own looking very sorry for herself !! She not even coming when the parrots shouting her !

Nicishuff

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sat May 07 2016, 20:36

please keep us updated Smile bless her heart

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

bullying  B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317