Lungworm

Go down

Lungworm Empty Lungworm

Post by Lis Fri Apr 01 2016, 15:01

Do many of you worry about lungworm and do you give your dog preventative treatment, such as Advocate, along with other regular flea/worm prevention treatments?

I'm so opposed to pumping our dogs full of sometimes unnecessary chemicals, but am also very concerned about lungworm, which is sadly on the increase. I've recently come across Wormcount.com who, for a small charge, can test your dog for lungworm and if picked up it should be able to be treated quite easily as opposed to becoming symptomatic, where it could then be difficult to treat and potentially fatal Sad

Basically you have to send a small sample of 3 days worth of your dog's poo and they can do a general wormcount test and/or a lungworm test. The wormcount test results you will get back by email the same day they receive your samples, and it takes 24 hours for a lungworm test result.

For flea treatment I currently use Billy No Mates (CSJ) which is completely herbal. I have never had a problem with fleas/ticks so far and have used it for about 2-3 years now.

I'm just about to send my for testing and they recommend testing every 3 months, so about the same length of time that flea/worm treatments are administered. At least this way you know whether to treat your dog or not for worms, or seek urgent vet treatment for lungworm should your dog have picked this up.

I know everyone has different preferences and views for their own dogs, but thought I would mention this if anyone is interested.

Thanks Smile
Lis
Lis
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dizzy
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Lungworm Empty Re: Lungworm

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01 2016, 17:13

That's interesting, Lisa. It's the same approach I used to use for the ponies, sample testing with only one blast a year to cover tape worm which (in horses at any rate) doesn't show in a faecal sample. I didn't know they had started doing it for dogs as well. I'll definitely look into it.

We're a bit wary about ticks round here at the moment so I'm not sure I'd rely on a herbal product. I know you've not had a problem since you started using your product but that might just be because your dog's not come into contact with anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Fri Apr 01 2016, 17:44

Thanks Liz - yes I came by it by chance online and decided to give it a go.

You could be right re the herbal treatment and my local area, but I keep a close eye on him and fingers crossed no nasties decide to hop on board.

Lis
Lis

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dizzy
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down