walking my staffy with a new baby

2 posters

Go down

walking my staffy with a new baby Empty walking my staffy with a new baby

Post by Mrs.B Mon Jan 11 2016, 10:09

Hi guys Smile

I'm due to have my first baby in 7 weeks and I'm really nervous about walking my 3 year old staffy Dax next to the pram. I've always trained him to the best of my ability and I can't say it's been easy but all in all he's shaping up to be a good boy!

Since I became heavily pregnant however, the speed with which I walk him has slowed to let's say, a glacial pace! Dax hates this, and has resorted to his pulling days! His front paws don't even touch the ground because he's pulling that much! It's awful and I dread walking him now. I take him straight to the park though and play fetch off lead with him though so he's still getting his exercise.

I'm just worried that I won't be able to walk him with a pram?! I'll have one hand for dog and the other for pram but I can't imagine we'll be walking fast enough for him and that he'll continue with his awful pulling! Has anyone had any experience with this? Can anyone perhaps recommend a good no pull harness? Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading Smile x

Mrs.B
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

walking my staffy with a new baby Empty Re: walking my staffy with a new baby

Post by Elise-R Mon Jan 11 2016, 10:58

Hey, I have no experience with walking a dog next to a pram but have a few ideas.

Have you ever seen a perfect fit harness? they have a D ring on the front which makes it hard for the dog to pull and they're comfier for the dog than most other no pull harness's. The are quite expensive though.

Do you already have the pram? You could train him to walk beside it while inside the house as there are little distractions, put him on his lead and harness/collar (you could do this after he's had a walk so he's tired out a little) and stand with him next to the pram, treat him for standing next to it, then as you walk (take it one step at a time) treat him for staying close to you/to the pram. If he pulls ahead just stop and call him back to your side. Once he can do this inside try outside and make sure you stay consistent as consistency is key!!

Good luck with your training and congratulations on your baby Big Grin x
Elise-R
Elise-R
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs.B Mon Jan 11 2016, 15:44

Thanks Elise Smile good advice and that harness looks good also!

Mrs.B

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 11 2016, 16:32

That or the Mekuti harness, both have the option of the lead in 2 places and the front position blocks in front as well as works laterally.

As Elise says, though, it's training in conjunction with a harness that teaches. Any dog can learn to pull against any harness, so the key is to switch harness and then go into training mode straight away. Reward every though he has of walking nicely with you and, if he starts to pull, either stop or go back, calling him to you. Then immediately back to praise and reward if he even gets it sort of right.

And always be aware of any tension on the lead. The slightest feel of the lead going taught should be a signal for you do to so something, either asking for heel, stopping or going back. Tension on the lead encourages the dog to pull, it's an instinct thing (try getting someone to hold the other end of a lead and ask them to pull slightly, it'll make you want to pull back).

The other thing I'd do, as well as all of the above because of course you have nothing to do at the moment Laughing is work on off lead heel with a treat in your hand, varying your pace. Get him really thinking about being with you and becoming aware of your pace.

Lots to think about!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down