Dry food + Raw meat? Both or Either?

4 posters

Go down

Dry food + Raw meat? Both or Either? Empty Dry food + Raw meat? Both or Either?

Post by Joker116 Thu Dec 03 2015, 09:19

Good morning everyone Smile

My staffie is 5monthish old and am thinking of giving some raw food. I got couple of questions because i really want to get this right! First of all can i give him chicken or beef while giving him some eukanuba dry food or is it either dry food or raw food not both mixed? I've been told to boil (scald) the meet with hot water before hand by a vet, what that means for example poor hot water in a bowl, drop the piece of breast or beef in to the water for 3-4 seconds and pull it out, that makes it softer and much healthier for their coat he has assured me, any one else does/heard such thing?

He recommended beef but personally i think i would stick to chicken unless, beef and chicken mix is ideal?

I do apologies if a similar topic has been created, I've looked but i can only see a differente mixtures of raw meat and non included dry food in between.

Thank you Smile Waiting for some advice Smile x
Joker116
Joker116
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Nokaut
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Dry food + Raw meat? Both or Either? Empty Re: Dry food + Raw meat? Both or Either?

Post by -Ian- Thu Dec 03 2015, 22:47

I don't see why you can't mix as long as you get the portions right. As for scalding the meat, I've not heard of that before but then I'm not a raw feeder.

Hopefully someone with raw experience will be along soon to offer better advice.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Dry food + Raw meat? Both or Either? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Dry food + Raw meat? Both or Either? Empty Re: Dry food + Raw meat? Both or Either?

Post by Rachel33 Fri Dec 04 2015, 07:51

Mixing raw meat and dried food together in the same meal isn't recommended - it's likely to give your dog an upset tummy! Raw isn't something to mess around with really - not giving the correct ratios of meat/offal/bone could make your dog quite poorly.

Bug was fed raw for a year or so, but when we moved we had nowhere to put the chest freezer, so we moved her onto nature diet. She does still get the odd raw meal - but we mostly give her raw as a recreational thing (bones/feet etc) to have a chew on after a walk. You don't have to scald the meat, not sure where your vet got that idea from? With certain meats you are advised to freeze before feeding, off the top of my head it's certain fish and pork.

If you're really interested in feeding raw and you're on Facebook, there is a page "BARF UK" which is brilliant, full of ideas and advice from seasoned raw feeders.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Joker116 Fri Dec 04 2015, 09:10

Thank you that's awesome, I was pretty sure mixing would be a bad idea simply because the doggy can get the runs on just raw meat never mind mixing both! But I think high quality raw meat is better but then again am only thinking as a man haha! Big Grin Thank you for the FB page looking in to it now Smile
Joker116
Joker116

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Nokaut
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Fri Dec 04 2015, 15:50

hi Rachel, I am trying Buddy on a raw diet as he stopped eating his kibble - have tried a few minces and he is on nutriment at the minute but he keeps getting the runs .. what is the nature diet like to feed as an alternative - I gave it to my poor old greyhound when he had loads of teeth out but didn't even think about it for Buddy, how much do you feed and how often - Buddy is such a fussy eater and nutriment is very expensive ...he is 9 months old and weighs 17 kg
smudge95
smudge95
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sat Dec 05 2015, 08:08

No worries, hope you get some advice from the page Smile

I love nature diet, Bug does brilliantly on it and hasn't had an allergy flare up since she has been on it either. Her motions are always solid, she's energetic but not hyper and her coat is soft Smile Raw really is brilliant if done correctly and if it agrees with your dog, but as with anything I don't think it's a one size fits all. I order nature diet from berriewoods, it costs me £54 for 4 cartons of 18 and for Bug (19kg and moderately active) I feed 3/4 of a tray per meal. It works out at about 85p a day.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Sat Dec 05 2015, 10:32

Thanks Rachel- Im not sure the Raw diet is for Buddy - he seems to be constantly hungry and then the more I feed the more he poos.. keeps messing his crate ..no matter how many times I walk him or let him out it is not getting any better , maybe nutriment is too rich for him, when you swopped Bug from raw to the nature diet did you do it in one go or did you wean her onto it -dont want to make him worse if that's possible...little disheartened at the minute..
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sat Dec 05 2015, 14:33

Aw Carol! Try not to feel down, I totally understand it all getting on top of you, but I'm sure we can find a solution! I did half and half (raw breakfast/evening nature diet) for a while and then just stopped the raw, other than random bits chucked in as a treat. I actually found that Bug was crazy hectic on raw - she's a highly strung dog at the best of times, but she had even more energy, which is great in some ways, but not in others! Nature diet just seems to suit her, I wouldn't change her from it now.

I didn't notice any major toilet troubles with Bug on raw, but she does have a tummy of steel! However, certain proteins can cause digestive upsets - a friend's terrier can't tolerate chicken, which is always advised for upset tummies. If Bug has a sensitivity to anything, it's definitely lamb! In the kennels they're all on raw, some it agrees with, some it doesn't. I understand why people "push" raw as when it works out it has great benefits, but it's not the only quality diet available. Had you introduced any new proteins before the tummy upset? Have you found that he's eating all of his meals now?
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Mon Dec 07 2015, 07:58

hi Rachel - he was eating chicken nutriment when at his worst Friday and Saturday so I stopped and gave him the duck one and he seemed better - he is hard to get to eat he refuses to eat out of a bowl just runs round the room growling at it and then gets his blanket and covers it up no idea why just suddenly started a few months back doing it - I have to give the first mouthful by hand and once he has the taste the rest is out of a kong - which is a pain because the big kong is too big and the next one down I have to fill twice so cant leave him to eat on his own - he eats however much I give him he would eat the whole 500 g if I gave it to him but then within half hour he poos - then is hungry again and the same as Bug he is hyper all the time now - really starting to wear me down ..he didn't mess Saturday night or Sunday night but then I did not feed him in the evening only at 7.00 and 1.00 but that's a long time 1pm until 5.00am next day to go with no food - I fed him at 5.00 this morning and he went poo at 6.00 and came back asking for more food ate a carrot and then some chicken , no idea when I go home at 11.00 if he will have messed or not - its not so much the runs now its solid but so often 5 yesterday and not small ones either... cant decide whether to put back on kibble or try nature diet - feel like I am messing around with his digestive system but I and he cant go on like this..
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Dec 25 2015, 23:07

How's it going Carol ? I'm hoping you've managed to get something working for Buddy.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Dry food + Raw meat? Both or Either? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Wed Dec 30 2015, 12:25

hi Ian, well it was going ok he was eating his kibble out of his kong and was consuming almost all the recommended amount, but since we have been home for Xmas he has stopped eating the full amount - have tried to keep to his routine he will eat some but struggling to get enough in him again- tried some wet food from millies wolf heart but ended up letting the cat eat it .. not really sure where to go from here - I know he is hungry because he asks for food but when I give him the kibble he walks away.. so - cupboard full of kibble, freezer full of nutriment.. doing well not.. he still managed to put a kilo on though 17.8 from 16.5..just got to keep going I guess
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down