Breeding opinions

5 posters

Go down

Breeding opinions  Empty Breeding opinions

Post by nick h Tue Jun 28 2011, 22:46

I may be opening a can of worms here but i would like to get other peoples views on breeding. I know there is a lot of mindless breeding out there these days especialy with staff's,you've only got to look on epupz at the 20 somethin pages of staffs to realise there is alot of money driven breeding goin on. My nan and uncle use to breed staffs and now i am bit older and mature i would love to carry on our stafford family tradition and produce 1 or 2 litters.
But i'm realy not interested in making money as having puppy's can be very costly especialy if something unexpected happens, i jus want to improve the breed and enjoy jazz becoming a mum !
I will be doing everything properly in the planning of the mating rite through to finding good family homes for the pups ie:

. getting jazz tested for l2hga and hc well before any breeding takes place
. try and put a waiting list together at time of mating
. i will put a basic questionaire together for prospective owners to see if they no atleast the basics of keeping
a healthy dog.

These are just a few things i can do to try and ensure healthy pups with good homes,i know not everyone agrees
with breeding dogs but what are your guys thoughts on this?

nick h
nick h
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : jazz
Dog(s) Ages : 2yr 2 mnths
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Breeding opinions  Empty Re: Breeding opinions

Post by Steve Tue Jun 28 2011, 22:54

it's dodgy subject....

but if i was going breed my dog i will want 10 good home who i know & trust before even thinking about breeding

i wouldn't sell any of my pups to any * or harry, becasue if you sell them to people you dont know you never know what happen to them.

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 22:56

I'm of the opinion that it's everybody's own choice, although I would always recommend that an owner thinks hard about it, and then thinks again!

Just because someone has a bitch that they dote on doesn't mean that she should be bred from (that isn't aimed at you, by the way, just a generalisation). If you want to breed, firstly take a good long look at your bitch and compare her to the breed standard. Be honest with yourself, and see where she excels & where she fails (they all have faults).

You could also ask the advice of a judge or an experienced breeder.

If you decide to go ahead, search carefully for the right dog to compliment her faults & virtues. Make sure that all health checks have been made on your bitch and the stud dog. Ask to see the certificates.

Do your research as to the birthing and the rearing of pups & the eventual rehoming to prospective buyers. Try to get the buyers to keep in touch. Be prpared to be left with pups that may not sell, or to take back pups where the sale didn't work for whatever reason.

Be prepared for medical emergencies & read as much as you can on the pregnancy/birth/rearing before you mate her.

I'm not against breeding, but I have to say that a lot of litters bred in this country should never have been born.

Back to top Go down

Post by nick h Tue Jun 28 2011, 23:32

Well said caryll i have to agree with you,as i said earlier there are alot of litters/puppy's that were'nt thought through enough before the breeding took place.
nick h
nick h

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kitten Tue Jun 28 2011, 23:52

Caryll wrote:I'm of the opinion that it's everybody's own choice, although I would always recommend that an owner thinks hard about it, and then thinks again!

Just because someone has a bitch that they dote on doesn't mean that she should be bred from (that isn't aimed at you, by the way, just a generalisation). If you want to breed, firstly take a good long look at your bitch and compare her to the breed standard. Be honest with yourself, and see where she excels & where she fails (they all have faults).

If you decide to go ahead, search carefully for the right dog to compliment her faults & virtues. Make sure that all health checks have been made on your bitch and the stud dog. Ask to see the certificates.

Do your research as to the birthing and the rearing of pups & the eventual rehoming to prospective buyers. Try to get the buyers to keep in touch. Be prpared to be left with pups that may not sell, or to take back pups where the sale didn't work for whatever reason.

Be prepared for medical emergencies & read as much as you can on the pregnancy/birth/rearing before you mate her.

I'm not against breeding, but I have to say that a lot of litters bred in this country should never have been born.

Good advice as always x
kitten
kitten
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Breeding opinions  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ripley
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Jun 28 2011, 23:56

there are alot are plan that are bad breeding happening all time... in the show & bad ownership world . IMO the hole breeding program need shaping up & bring uptodate.

list thing do to
* good home must be found before hand
* health testing is must

i could carry on but it end up in a huge debate again

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 08:41

Caryll wrote:I'm of the opinion that it's everybody's own choice, although I would always recommend that an owner thinks hard about it, and then thinks again!

absolutley! Owners cant see there dogs faults as they are blinded by love lol so getting her looked over by a judge or someone who really knows what they are talking about when she is mature is a must. I would still say dont breed her even if she is a good example to be fair. There are good kennels out there who do this professionally and for a living who know what they are doing, have great dogs and have the finances in place to back it all up. My advice........love jazz as the pet she is and leave breeding to professionals x

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Jun 29 2011, 10:47

Some very good advice already and I cant add that much to what has already been said. I would add that if you are planning to breed your girl I would wait until she has matured not only physically but mentally. We didn't mate my older bitch til she was 3 as she still acted like a big baby even though she was fully grown! Her daughter is going the same way, we had planned to breed her this season but she still has so much growing up to do, they need to be completely balanced to be the best mother possible.

Also when you start planning the mating (ie. doing all the stuff everyone has suggested above like getting a judge critique, choosing a stud etc) start to build a waiting list for puppys. The more people on it the better on a first come first serve, you could have 6 puppies and 10 possible owners and 8 of them pull out. People will say they r interested but when it comes to it drop out at the last minute or they couldn't wait and have got a pup from somewhere else.

I also wrote out a contract about how the dog should be kept (included DEFRA guidelines), that it cannot be rehomed etc. I can find you a copy if you like. Also choose your stud carefully to complement your girl. Get the book of the bitch and read like crazy! I understand that there a phenomenal amount of staffords in rescue and that the amount of backyard breeding going on just for money is huge. But for those responsible breeders who are doing it to better the breed and be really careful about where their pups go there is less worry. The people who will buy a purebred, papered puppy from a reputable breeder are not the sort of people you really need to worry about your pups going to.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nick h Wed Jun 29 2011, 13:25

Cheers for all your advice and thoughts on this guys,we have at least 2 years yet to make an informed decision on breeding jazz but good to get some opinions on it.
And where as professional breeders are concerned they all had to start some where Big Grin
nick h
nick h

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie2011 Wed Jun 29 2011, 19:25

Steve wrote:there are alot are plan that are bad breeding happening all time... in the show & bad ownership world . IMO the hole breeding program need shaping up & bring uptodate.

list thing do to
* good home must be found before hand
* health testing is must

i could carry on but it end up in a huge debate again

totally agree batting eyelashes

i ain't a dog lover which is strange i have always had cats but.............. give me a staffy anyday i would have no other dog ever

i think breeding should be curbed on em as there are so many unwanted Crying or Very sad

my 1st staffy sam 1991 was imported and studded and then turfed out after his sell buy date ! which i had the pleasure in meeting the breed and i loved him untill the day he passed

my 2nd staffy rosie 2009 thrown out roaming the streets nearly getting hit by traffic she was very much loved untill she passed march this yr

my 3rd staffy buster no longer cared for as owner had split with her partner and he is 10 month old and i love him like one of me kids

all my staffys have been unwanted which makes me so sad Crying or Very sad

too many are been bred and too many into the wrong hands they are a killer if not put into the right hands which breaks my heart .

its each to ur own but i feel very strong about breeding Straight Face but if u do it correct and find homes GOOD homes before the little ones arrive its ur call good luck with what u decide batting eyelashes
rosie2011
rosie2011
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : buster
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content